Dear Friend of CFI,
By now, you’ve probably heard about the grand jury report detailing the sexual abuse of more than a thousand children by clergy in the Pennsylvania Catholic Church. Please join us in speaking up for the victims by contacting your state legislators today.
The details of the report are horrific. Not only did the Church enable abuse by over 300 predator priests since 1947, it covered their actions and dismissed their accusers’ concerns. The grand jury described the Church’s actions as “a playbook for concealing the truth.” But most of the crimes were committed long enough ago that the statute of limitations has expired, preventing Pennsylvania from prosecuting them. The report recommends major changes to Pennsylvania law to ensure justice for the victims and to prevent future abuse.
You have the opportunity to make your voice heard by asking your legislators to do three things:
- Support HB 612, a bill that gives the victims of the crimes in the report two years to file suit against their abusers.
- Support SB 261, which would extend the statute of limitations for sex crimes against minors until the victim is 50 years old.
- Repeal Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes Title 23, Section 6304–literally titled “Exclusions from child abuse”–which privileges religion by providing an exemption for religiously-motivated medical neglect.
Please call your state representatives today and demand that they take these actions.
You can find out who your representatives are by clicking this link.
Please feel free to use the following call script if it’s helpful to you:
- As your constituent and a secular Pennsylvanian, I urge you to take action to address the widespread sexual abuse of children by the Catholic Church.
- First, please support HB 612 and SB 261 so that victims of these horrible crimes can finally seek justice.
- Second, please repeal Section 6304 of the Pennsylvania code. This law protects child abusers who act in the name of religion. No religion should be above the law.
- Thank you for your time.
Thank you for supporting separation of church and state.
Director of Government Affairs
Center for Inquiry
Note: the Title field below is required by the United States government database that sorts these messages and directs them to the correct representative's office. We unfortunately cannot customize the honorifics available or make the field optional, as that would cause the database to reject the message. We recommend choosing Dr. for those who use gender-neutral honorifics.
Zip Codes: Sections of many zip codes appear in multiple legislative districts. To accurately find your legislators the system often requires a full Zip+4 Code. If you do not know your +4, we recommend using the US Postal Service website.