Location: Center for Inquiry headquarters in Amherst, N.Y. (near Buffalo); Executive Offices in Washington, DC; CFI West Branch in Los Angeles; or remote/work from home
The Development Director is a senior management position with the Center for Inquiry, a nonprofit organization that promotes reason, science, and secularism, with an annual budget of $5-to-$6 million. The Development Director supervises a small staff, and is responsible for securing and growing the various income streams that allow the Center for Inquiry to meet its annual revenue goals.
- Finding and cultivating prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis.
- Growing a major gifts program including identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors.
- Overseeing grant-seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Building and maintaining the planned giving program.
- Establishing annual fundraising goals in accordance with organizational needs and building an annual development plan to meet those goals.
- Proposing budgeted expenditures for the Development Department and limiting expenses to budgeted amounts.
- Directing and executing the fund drives, including regular mailings, online campaigns and other forms of regular fundraising for the various programs, divisions, and projects of the Center for Inquiry.
- Directing and executing a membership program, including growing membership through direct mail and online campaigns, and maintaining current members through effective communications and renewal reminders.
- Directing and executing corporate and employee-based giving programs.
- Seeking corporate and other sponsorships for conferences and other CFI programs.
- Directing capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Planning, coordinating, and executing fundraising special events.
- Executing prospect research.
- Strategizing ways to grow support for CFI and executing those ideas.
- Developing reports throughout the year that track progress.
- Working closely with the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Working with branches to assist in fundraising at the local level.
- Leading Board Development Committee meetings and overseeing board engagement in fundraising.
- Maintaining fundraising database and tracking systems, and maintaining detailed donor and other relevant records.
- Supervising Development Department staff and collaborating with other CFI staff members. Hiring highly qualified staff when necessary.
- Overseeing vendors.
- Recruiting, training, and supporting key volunteers to assist in advancement efforts.
- Communicating fundraising goals throughout the organization and equipping team members to reach them.
- Actively participating in the Management Committee of CFI.
- Overseeing creation of publications, digital offerings, visual materials, and videos, to support fundraising activities.
- Developing and maintaining gift recognition programs.
- Demonstrating professional conduct at all times.
- Performing other duties as required.
- At least five years experience fundraising for a nonprofit organization with at least a comparable budget.
- Prior experience as a development director managing a team of people.
- Experience in major gifts, membership programs, grants, direct mail campaigns, digital fundraising and marketing, and planned giving.
- Experience with CRMs and fundraising databases.
- Experience budgeting department expenses.
- An interest in promoting the mission of the Center for Inquiry.
- Ability to multi-task and keep on top of deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Graduate degree preferred
Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, retirement plan contributions, paid vacation, holidays, and sick time, among other benefits.
The Center for Inquiry is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter that is specific to this job and a resume to email@example.com and please put “Development Director Position” in the subject line.