Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Jon Stewart

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    @loisl
    Participant

Maybe Jon left because he knew that he could not compete with Trump’s natural ability to parody himself. I mean Trump is to a political satirist, as sugar is to a starving sweet toothed diabetic. It’s just too much. One could be overwhelmed and die simply from the sheer volume of material that Trump supplies.

Its funny. I was just thinking that Trump may have found the prefect defense against the inevitable Saturday Night Live parodies. He left them with nothing to do. How could you possible come up with a skit that would be any more hilarious than his own speeches. I have to believe that the SNL writers are all sitting around right now looking at each other with blank stares. Maybe that’s a subject for an SNL skit.
    I hope Trump doesn’t wind up on a Fox News version of The Jon Stewart Show. Well, it wouldn’t fly, anyway. Satire needs an intelligent audience.
    Lois

@timb
    Participant

…I don’t know Tim, there’s a lot of material there to munch on but I think Stweart saw as did Seinfeld that one should go out on top…
    Cap’t Jack

Yeah, I am glad for him, that he went out from the Daily Show, while he was at the top of his game.

@yosemitesam

Are you already missing Jon Stewart?
    Here’s your change to see him on a big stage.

https://www.change.org/p/we-want-jon-stewart-to-moderate-a-2016-presidential-debate?utm_source=action_alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=372900&alert_id=abVtjzkktZ_hDGOiCev7UCUQbp5pIW0C+cwRoMjQaFI2HsGIzMd/OQ=
    Petitioning Commission on Presidential Debates
    We want Jon Stewart to moderate a 2016 presidential debate.

M. Waters | Stanhope, NJ
    Over the last 16 years, Jon Stewart has played an influential and iconic role in covering US politics and media.
    We believe he should continue that tradition as a moderator at one of the 2016 Presidential Debates.
    Jon Stewart is more than qualified to tackle the moderating job. Mr. Stewart has interviewed 15 heads of state,
    22 members of the United States Cabinet, 32 members of the United States Senate, 7 members of the
    United States House of Representatives, and scores of other political leaders from this country and
    around the world while establishing himself as the most trusted person in (satirical) news.
    In addition to his vast experience working with political figures, Jon Stewart is accomplished in presidential election coverage.
    His work on The Daily Show received the prestigious Peabody Award for its coverage of the 2000 and 2004 presidential races.
    Another important attribute of a moderator is trust. Many in the US believe Jon Stewart shares their worldview and values.
    A recent Reuters/Ipsos poll reported that 52.1% of respondents agree that Mr. Stewart
    “generally shares [their] view of the world” on “some or most issues”.
    Choosing Jon Stewart would be a popular choice among voters. …
    I

@timb
    Participant

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/jon-stewart-shares-how-trevor-noah-elevated-the-daily-show-we-did-diversity-for-diversitys-sake/ar-BB15YfBM?ocid=spartanntp

It’s been about 5 years now, since he left the daily show.  I think that Trevor Noah has turned out to be a great replacement.

@widdershins
    Participant

I miss John Stuart so much.  John Oliver is a reasonably close second place.  I liked the fake Stephen Colbert better.  He was a lot funnier, especially when he testified before Congress IN CHARACTER!  Hilarious stuff!  But the real Steve hated the fake Steve, so I’m glad he’s happier now.  He’s still not as funny.  Trevor Noah I only watch because my wife does.  He’s okay.  He says some funny thing.  He’s no John Stuart.  He’s no Stephen Colbert either, for that matter.  Though I LOVE Jaboukie Young-White.  Funny kid.  Roy Wood Jr is also funny as hell.  Put Jaboukie in the seat and I bet I’d like it better.

@timb
    Participant

I think that Noah is a VERY talented comedian.  His ability to do different dialects, I think is extraordinary. I also think that his being from South Africa gives him a particularly interesting perspective.

Even John Stewart was not a big success early on.  It took a while.  I think that Noah has replaced him as well as anyone could.

And 5 yrs in, The Daily (Social Distancing) Show still seems to be going strong.

@widdershins
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, he’s great.  But he’s not John Stewart.  Maybe it’s because they were there when I started watching political commentary shows, but my favorites are John Steward and Colbert, the character.  I know the real Colbert hated that guy and I’m happy for him that he doesn’t have to do him any more, but nerdy, Apple Watch wearing, regular guy Colbert just doesn’t do it for me like “ironic, most Republican guy alive” Colbert did.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.