Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

The coming Republican War On Marijuana. Hmmm, God vs. A citizen’s desire to cop a buzz – this’ll be interesting.

Forums Forums Politics and Social Issues The coming Republican War On Marijuana. Hmmm, God vs. A citizen’s desire to cop a buzz – this’ll be interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    @yosemitesam

In usual egomaniac fashion the Republicans are drunk with lust to act on all their pet paranoias and hatred. They will be reeking vengeance for many slights real and imagined.
    They even want to take on the legal Marijuana industry and a citizen’s right to buy legal cannabis.
    Now that will be interesting to watch. Perhaps the Democrats could take some notes, because that one is going to be evangelical thug against street thug, too much money and power and guns and expectation stands behind that legal pot shit anymore, the happy hippies are gone. The big boys are doing it now, and, and here’s that crucial and, the public loves it. And where it’s happening sounds like the cops are pleasantly surprised at outcomes. Of Republicans would have to step into the world of objective demonstrable facts to recognize that.
    In a sick way the thought makes me smile, finally an opponent with genuine cohones, as opposed to the usual DNC White Bread. Gonna see them bleed if they go after that one. I got no pony in that race, just saying.
    Anyone else see a civil war brewing out there?

Jeff Sessions’ Coming War on Legal Marijuana
    There’s little to stop the attorney general nominee from ignoring the will of millions of pro-pot voters.
    By JAMES HIGDON December 05, 2016
    http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/12/jeff-sessions-coming-war-on-legal-marijuana-214501
    On Election Day, eight states voted to legalize recreational or medical marijuana, bringing the nationwide total of medical states to 29. In Florida, medical marijuana won nearly 2 million more votes than Donald Trump. Added up, 65 million people now live in states that authorize adult recreational use; more than half of all Americans have access to medical marijuana; and almost everyone else lives in a state that permits CBD, a non-psychoactive component of cannabis that helps treatment of juvenile epilepsy. It’s easier now to identify the six states that have done nothing to end the prohibition on marijuana than the ones that are breaking away from the federal law that treats marijuana the same as heroin.
    There was another winner on November 8, however, and he has thrown up a serious challenge to the seemingly inexorable march of legal marijuana. By nominating Senator Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III for attorney general, President-elect Donald J. Trump is about to put into the nation’s top law enforcement job a man with a long and antagonistic attitude toward marijuana. As a U.S. Attorney in Alabama in the 1980s, Sessions said he thought the KKK “were OK until I found out they smoked pot.”
    In April, Sessions said, “Good people don’t smoke marijuana,” and that it was a “very real danger” that is “not the kind of thing that ought to be legalized.”
    Sessions, who turns 70 on Christmas Eve, has called marijuana reform a “tragic mistake” and criticized FBI Director James Comey and Attorneys General Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch for not vigorously enforcing a the federal prohibition that President Obama has called “untenable over the long term.”
    In a floor speech earlier this year, Senator Sessions said: “You can’t have the President of the United States of America talking about marijuana like it is no different than taking a drink… It is different….It is already causing a disturbance in the states that have made it legal.” …

@yosemitesam

In a floor speech earlier this year, Senator Sessions said: “You can’t have the President of the United States of America talking about marijuana like it is no different than taking a drink… It is different….(marijuana) is already causing a disturbance in the states that have made it legal.” …

I don’t have the time or interest to search around for stories. Just saying, if anyone has any, do share, with original sources of course. 😉

@beltane
    Participant

There’s little to stop the attorney general nominee from ignoring the will of millions of pro-pot voters.

I’m wondering why he shouldn’t ignore the will of pro-drug advocates? Since Marijuana is still illegal on a federal level this would be his job. Not to mention legalizing marijuana for recreational use is a bad idea.

@beltane
    Participant

In a floor speech earlier this year, Senator Sessions said: “You can’t have the President of the United States of America talking about marijuana like it is no different than taking a drink… It is different….(marijuana) is already causing a disturbance in the states that have made it legal.” …

I don’t have the time or interest to search around for stories. Just saying, if anyone has any, do share, with original sources of course. 😉

https://learnaboutsam.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/SAM-report-on-CO-and-WA-issued-26-Oct-2016.pdf

@darrons
    Participant

Not to mention legalizing marijuana for recreational use is a bad idea.

Do you have any objective evidence to back that opinion?

@mikeyohe
    Participant

I’m wondering why he shouldn’t ignore the will of pro-drug advocates? Since Marijuana is still illegal on a federal level this would be his job. Not to mention legalizing marijuana for recreational use is a bad idea.

That is a question that no American today should have to ask.

@cuthbertj
    Participant

Do you have any objective evidence to back that opinion?I know from my own experience that pot is far preferable to liquor. I don’t recall ever seeing someone who was high on pot being mean to others. If anything it mellowed them out to the point of just chill-axin. Liquor OTOH often turns a docile person into a real ahole. If anything liquor should be banned and pot made as available as beer is today.

@loisl
    Participant

As bad as alcohol? OTC drugs?

@beltane
    Participant

Do you have any objective evidence to back that opinion?I know from my own experience that pot is far preferable to liquor. I don’t recall ever seeing someone who was high on pot being mean to others. If anything it mellowed them out to the point of just chill-axin. Liquor OTOH often turns a docile person into a real ahole. If anything liquor should be banned and pot made as available as beer is today.This is a very specious and tiresome argument. While marijuana users are not “mean”, they are – like all drug users – dysfunctional to society at large. Consequently there is no sensible reason to legalize marijuana in order to even out the harm caused by other drugs.

@beltane
    Participant

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nida-review-summarizes-research-marijuanas-negative-health-effects

@mikeyohe
    Participant

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nida-review-summarizes-research-marijuanas-negative-health-effects
    The problem is that these reports do not reflexed the real life situations that the public sees on a daily basics. Many of these reports have been proven wrong and like this report uses a lot of “may be” and “can be” in the conclusions. These reports also totally disregard thousands of years of history of the product that show contrary results.

@yosemitesam

Starting too young – that’s not good, at least let the body develop into adulthood.
    But I’m reminded that there are an awful lot of things putting kids a risk these days.
    The driving thing is interesting, particularly compared with alcohol.
    I wonder if there’s been a study about alcohol usage once marijuana is legally available. I wouldn’t be surprised if alcohol sales went down.
    http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana-and-driving-a-review-of-the-scientific-evidence
    Here’s another interesting cross-section of studies.

Pot Science: Top Marijuana Findings of 2015
    By Cari Nierenberg, Live Science Contributor | December 29, 2015
    http://www.livescience.com/53218-top-marijuana-scientific-findings-2015.html

@beltane
    Participant

The problem is that these reports do not reflexed the real life situations that the public sees on a daily basics. Many of these reports have been proven wrong and like this report uses a lot of “may be” and “can be” in the conclusions. These reports also totally disregard thousands of years of history of the product that show contrary results.I’m interested in this. Can you elaborate?

@mikeyohe
    Participant

The problem is that these reports do not reflexed the real life situations that the public sees on a daily basics. Many of these reports have been proven wrong and like this report uses a lot of “may be” and “can be” in the conclusions. These reports also totally disregard thousands of years of history of the product that show contrary results.I’m interested in this. Can you elaborate?
    OK, take the wives tale that smoking Marijuana causes birth defects. Has the government ever once said no it did not? Then I find out that in some countries that marijuana is used in the pregnancy and has been for many years because of the results of better child birth experience. Yet, especially in the Bible belt the birth defects story is still being used. Another example was the government saying the smoking marijuana would cause lung cancer. Who could counter the government’s claim without access to marijuana for testing, which by the way the government would not give access. But we don’t know how Scripts Institution got its marijuana, but they did the test and proved there was no tar in marijuana and could not cause lung cancer. Afterwards the government withdrew the claim.
    To really understand the level of what the government has be doing. Things like the DEA owning the patent for the marijuana pill. Is nothing compared to the funds and backing our government has given to Israel to research marijuana. We have basiclly funded and given away a billion dollar industry for political backing.
    Israel: The Epicenter of Cannabis Research and Innovation
    https://www.merryjane.com/news/israel-the-epicenter-of-cannabis-research-and-innovation
    Israel Is Cornering The Medical Marijuana Market – News – Forward.com
    http://forward.com/news/337294/israel-is-cornering-the-medical-marijuana-market/
    Preliminary Results From Israeli Study: Cannabis Delays Cancer Development
    http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/culture/health/.premium-1.651249
    Also, some scientist believe marijuana was the first plant domesticated by modern man. Its use has been found worldwide and though out history by man-kind. It has even been found in burials which means it could have also had religious meanings.

@beltane
    Participant

OK, take the wives tale that smoking Marijuana causes birth defects. Has the government ever once said no it did not? Then I find out that in some countries that marijuana is used in the pregnancy and has been for many years because of the results of better child birth experience. Yet, especially in the Bible belt the birth defects story is still being used. Another example was the government saying the smoking marijuana would cause lung cancer. Who could counter the government’s claim without access to marijuana for testing, which by the way the government would not give access. But we don’t know how Scripts Institution got its marijuana, but they did the test and proved there was no tar in marijuana and could not cause lung cancer. Afterwards the government withdrew the claim. I’m very sceptical of Marijuana being safe for pregnant women – that goes against all medical advice I’m aware of.

To really understand the level of what the government has be doing. Things like the DEA owning the patent for the marijuana pill. Is nothing compared to the funds and backing our government has given to Israel to research marijuana. We have basiclly funded and given away a billion dollar industry for political backing.
    Israel: The Epicenter of Cannabis Research and Innovation
    https://www.merryjane.com/news/israel-the-epicenter-of-cannabis-research-and-innovation
    Israel Is Cornering The Medical Marijuana Market – News – Forward.com
    http://forward.com/news/337294/israel-is-cornering-the-medical-marijuana-market/
    Preliminary Results From Israeli Study: Cannabis Delays Cancer Development
    http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/culture/health/.premium-1.651249

Fascinating preliminary results with cancer treatments – however, preliminary is the key word here.

Also, some scientist believe marijuana was the first plant domesticated by modern man. Its use has been found worldwide and though out history by man-kind. It has even been found in burials which means it could have also had religious meanings.

It has been cultivated throughout history for hemp. There isn’t any evidence of widespread recreational use before the modern age.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.