Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Medical Marijuana?

Forums Forums Alternative Medicine Medical Marijuana?

This topic contains 59 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  LoisL 1 day, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Daisy Moore
    Participant

Yes CBD can cure cancer, pain, relief & anxiety, One of my friends was suffering from anxiety disorders, then some suggested him to use CBD, he somehow used it & the final result is surprised him literally. He was cured and full energetic CBD has done wonders to his Healthy life.

TimB
    Participant

There are ubiquitous anecdotal claims of marijuana helping all sorts of disorders.  But robust, specific, peer-reviewed scientific evidence is very, very sparse, mostly due to the everlasting war on pot by the government, and particularly to the insane and also, seemingly, unending federal  categorization of marijuana as a Schedule 1 drug.

Kevin
    Participant

Hi folks!

Has anybody of you applied for the medical marijuana card ? And if you do, how long did it take for the application to go through? I have found some good info the website, but still need some real life recommendations. I’m considering getting one and am curious how long this process is gonna take.

3point14rat
    Participant

Until someone gives a reasonable explanation as to how CBD cures cancer, I’ll continue to put it in the same category as homeopathy.

Sure it has psychoactive effects, but curing cancer is fundamentally different. If it does, great, but there would be more than anecdotal evidence if it did.

TimB
    Participant

Since Mary Jane is legal in Canada, maybe there will be some actual rigorous research on its efficacy in treating various ailments.  I seem to recall research in Israel indicating CBD’s  likely effectiveness in helping treat acute brain injuries.  I completely believe that it helps with certain seizure disorders.  I think there has been some legitimate research done in Great Britain, to a limited degree. If Marijuana could treat all of the claimed maladies, one would think that it would be widely and highly researched and valued in health care in countries that have socialized medicine.  But it has not been, afaik.

TimB
    Participant

I doubt that marijuana can cure cancer, but if I were getting chemotherapy, I would sure want marijuana to address the side effects.

Oh, and CBD is a component of marijuana that does not have psychoactive effects like the THC component. There may be some  non-marijuana-legal-states where you can legally acquire CBD if the state has legalized hemp, which is basically a type of marijuana that has almost no THC.

TimB
    Participant

I heard an anecdotal testimony, yesterday, from a man who said that marijuana addresses the chronic pain he has had for many years.  He said that it is far superior to opiate type medications, because it does not have the potential damage to the body and brain, it doesn’t have the side effects of those prescribed medicines, nor does it have the addictive potential.

Another man, 60 yrs of age, related that he uses marijuana before working out, and that it keeps him from having the joint discomforts that he would otherwise have.

Wouldn’t it be nice to get some solid science based research on these sorts of issues?    The federal scheduling of marijuana as a Class 1 narcotic still interferes with this.

Patrick D
    Participant

I welcome the legalisation of marijuana  in Canada;

First because of its proven value in treating pain and for glaucoma.

Second,  it allows the police to concentrate on crime.

Third; I understand that a large umber of drug conviction records are to be expunged; that is a big deal to many peopelwithsucha conviction.

I’d be fascinated to know the effect  on US prison population if all non violent drug offenders were  released. yes, i know, there will be little  piggies flying around my kitchen when that happens

DID YOU KNOW; Queen Victoria took marijuana for period pain. (it was perfectly  legal in the nineteenth century, along with opium heroin and cocaine, just about everywhere)

TimB
    Participant

High doses of opium, heroin, cocaine can be very toxic.  High doses of marijuana are not.

Patrick D
    Participant

@timb

Indeed.

I tried marijuana once, in 1978. At the time, my now straight arrow brother was a dealer. There were three of us;  my brother, my then fiance  and myself.

They got baked.  I started by throwing up .  I then  hallucinated  for several hours. I was off my face for 12 hours.  I concluded that perhaps marijuana wasn’t for me.

I had a dope head friend at work. He offered an opinion; that because I’m a control freak (true, I have OCD) I was unable to ‘let go’,fighting the drug.  I think perhaps.  Simplest explanation is that I’m allergic. Didn’t try it again. Instead, I  became an alcoholic.

Currently 17 years sober. 16 years without cigarettes,

I have long advocated the re-legalisation of illegal drugs. (marijuana , heroin and cocaine) .  Licence, control and tax. A person receiving chemically pure heroin of consistent strength, taken in say proper shooting rooms, can stay addicted for decades.  I don’t know enough about designer drugs to comment.

TimB
    Participant

That is far out. I doubt that I would ever try pot again if that were my experience.  The symptoms sound like a reaction to eating peyote or maybe exposure to some bad batch of LSD. Did your brother dabble in any hallucinogens back then? I imagine there could be some hallucinogens native to Australia that I have never heard of, like maybe the perspiration  of a wallaby (not that I have a clue as to what a wallaby is, i’m guessing a mammal, maybe a sort of cross between a kangaroo and a dingo…  I guess I should look it up.).

The small group of ppl who are allergic to pot, typically report different symptoms than vomiting and hallucinating.  Oh, BTW, I recommend that no one ever try or use what is called “synthetic marijuana”. It is a “designed drug” and is not in any way marijuana, but it might very well be toxic, some versions more than others.

TimB
    Participant

Oh, a wallaby is just a little kangaroo.  Cute.  And apparently they are edible.

Patrick D
    Participant

Yes, Wallaby are a smaller species of kangaroo and edible.

Not a lot of wallaby meat sold in supermarkets,  have never seen it in fact. Kangaroo though is a different matter. Kangaroo meat is sold in some supermarkets as steak, also as sausages and even salami.  I  tried it, once. At a barbeque as satay, with a nice peanut curry sauce. I commented on the beautiful steak, and was told it was ‘roo.   It WAS delicious, and kangaroo is much leaner than beef, so is recommended by the  Australian Heart Foundation. (truly)

I have never bought kangaroo to eat because I can’t bear the thought of eating such a beautiful, if stupid, animal*  Same with horse meat. I’m obviously very spoiled.

* The average kangaroo makes the average sheep seem intellectually gifted.  Most Australian native animals are pretty thick. I guess no need to be smart if you have no natural predators. (the Dingo is not a native animal. he was introduced by the aborigines, around 50k years ago.)

TimB
    Participant

Didn’t the roos need to be smart enuf to avoid crocodiles?  Or maybe they are just reproductive enuf that it doesn’t matter?

So were dingos a pet or domesticated animal of the aborigines when they came?  I don’t suppose there was a land bridge to Australia at that time, so the Aboriginies must have come by boat or raft, I guess.

I wouldn’t mind trying a kangaroo steak.  Although Kangaroo was my High School mascot.  I’m glad I didn’t know they are stupid.

Patrick D
    Participant

@timb

Kangaroos have very strong survival instincts.Considering the time they’ve been around I’d say those instincts are pretty good. A large kangaroo (about 2 metres tall) can gut a dog, by standing on its hind legs and using  its front paws.

Dingoes? Not sure.  To describe them as ‘domesticated’ is perhaps a tad optimistic. A Dingo is a dog in the same way as a wolf, fox or coyote. They remain scavenger sand opportunistic predators. There have been cases where people who have [illegally] had dingoes as pets, and left them with children; dingo kills child.

I guess they came to Oz with the early aborigines.  Nobody knows exactly how they got here, or even what they looked like. There was a land bridge between Australia and New Guinea which disappeared about 8000 years  ago.Apparently there  have been several land bridges, of various sizes between Asia and Australia over thousands of years. However, it is generally accepted that the first Australian would have had to have crossed some water. The inference  I get is that  those  journeys would have been short, and never out of sight of land. Who knows? I’m judging a bit by the aborigine canoes I’ve seen; either  from bark, for rivers, or dugouts, which are more substantial .

If you are interested, the is an excellent Australian film called “Ten Canoes”

I think the link may be in Dutch, but still worth watching a bit. It gives an interesting look at traditional life, as it is remembered today. Everything changed  with white settlement, including some mythology.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.