Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

There is God

Forums Forums Philosophy There is God

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    @socrat44
    Participant

” The reasons of a modern science give, maybe, the opportunity
    to make the conclusion, that the religion became acceptable
    for sensible scientific mind, since 1927. ”
    / Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington:/
    #
    ‘If we were looking for something that we could conceive
    of as God within the universe of the new physics, this ground
    state, coherent quantum vacuum might be a good place to start.’
    / Book ‘The quantum self ’ page 208. by Danah Zohar. /
    #
    ‘ The problem of the exact description of vacuum, in my opinion,
    is the basic problem now before physics. Really, if you can’t correctly
    describe the vacuum, how it is possible to expect a correct description
    of something more complex? ‘
    / Paul Dirac /
    #
    ‘It might even give us some ground to speculate that
    the vacuum itself (and hence the universe) is ‘conscious’.
    / Book ‘The quantum self ’ page 208. by Danah Zohar. /
    ==================

@player
    Participant

You said

I’ve heard of people who swear they’ve seen ghosts, though, and I tend to believe them.

I ask why?

@philosophicus
    Participant

Player,

It looks like you’re talking to me. I don’t know why I tend to believe people who’ve seen ghosts. Maybe it’s intuition or the thought that they might be right. I’m sure a lot of people make up ghost stories though or exaggerate. I can’t prove they’ve actually seen something though, but if they did, it’s either psychosis, a lie, or real.

Philosophicus

@player
    Participant

Isnt it better to not believe until it is proven?

@philosophicus
    Participant

Player,

I could wait until it’s proven. I don’t want to do that with all of my beliefs because not all claims need to be scientifically validated for me to believe them. It’s too restrictive. If enough people confirm a sighting with an alien or a ghost, I might believe them. Of course, it’d be better if I could see them myself (footage of ghosts can be faked). Even though eyewitness testimony can be unreliable, it can still be used in courts to convict people. Science takes the standard of proof to the highest level though, so claims that have already been validated by other means could go unaccepted. Sometimes logic is enough for me.

Philosophicus

@steveklinko
    Blocked

I have always thought that Humans will eventually figure out what Existence is all about. But we may not like what we ultimately discover. Take a particularly disturbing possibility. Religious people talk about the Oneness of the Universe. But maybe that is just another way of referring to some sort of Consciousness eating God that is cultivating our Conscious Selves for food. We all become One when we are joined with God through some kind of Consciousness based digestive process. Not only is this a possible reason for our existence, it also follows from the very nature of life on this planet where we eat each other. Had a good steak lately?

@write4u
    Participant

That’s the whole reason for the existence of  vampires.

I can’t prove they’ve actually seen something though, but if they did, it’s either psychosis, a lie, or real.

I saw a ghost once.  Actually at first I thought it was real person, real enough to slam on my breaks.

I mean it was just like in the movies, suddenly literally in the middle of the road there was a ghostly white figure, long gown and all, just for a moment, it even made me slam on my brakes.  Hard.  Then it was gone.   Fortunately it was in the middle of the night, one way, two lane road and was probably going 45ish.  It was in Yosemite Valley (70s) after spending all day driving up 99 from San Diego to the Fresno turn off where I took over driving and toward Wawona and the valley.

I slammed on those breaks and she disappeared.  That was quite an adrenalin jolt for my body, just what I needed to wake up enough to drive the last few miles home.  Oh did I mention that the previous two days were partying and late nights and my chums were fast asleep?  Needless to say, me thinks it was an amazing sleep deprivation hallucination I saw.

Paula just pointed out, it was actually one of my guardian angels.

So there.    😉

@quibble
    Participant

Non-belief just seems like the default setting. No one is born religious, no one discovers faith, it’s taught to you by people it was taught to by people it was taught to.

I used to be religious but now I find it more comforting believing there is no afterlife, better make the most of this one.

@lausten
    Keymaster

I’m taking a class in the science of religion on Edx. There are theories that some of what we label as religion comes from natural tendencies, like hyper-active agency detection and more complicated things like using seemingly useless rituals to signal to people the importance of the meaning behind the ritual and use that to build community cohesion.

Thanks for the comment Tyler, way to jump right in.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by Lausten.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 4 weeks ago by Lausten.
    @write4u
    Participant

Welcome Tyler.  Your observation was spot on, IMO

@halster
    Participant

This seems bizarre in light of 4000 + churches going out of business every year. God lives in each individual mind — if the individual allows it. Increasingly individuals are leaving the church or rejoining their species.

@write4u
    Participant

Hal said; Increasingly individuals are leaving the church or rejoining their species.

Aren’t all species created in the image of God?  Does belonging to a church the same as having a club membership that allows for special privileges?

@write4u
    Participant

Please God, spare me from theists.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.