Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

A Philosophical Standpoint on Philosophy: The Binary System

Forums Forums Philosophy A Philosophical Standpoint on Philosophy: The Binary System

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    TonnySmith
    Participant

I’ve spent a decent bit of time understanding the mind-body problem, and generally the issues surrounding how we view the mind and view the world in general. Philosophers that are currently on my mind are Descartes, Spinoza, Leibniz, Nietzche, Hobbes, Humes etc. Generally speaking, when philosophers tackle lifes problems, they are trying to add a purpose or lack there of. Descartes spouted that the meaning of life is God itself, and only God allows for clear and distinct understanding of the world, Hobbes stated that the only way for a functioning political system to work is based on social contract theory in order for a sovereign just ruler who acts FOR the people. But I would say I’m like 60% nihilist, because in a general sense I believe that whatever these philosophers state, is never the truth. The only truth in life is we cannot bottle down life to one truth, and because of that any actions we say or do are inconsequential to the world as a whole. Hence, we live in a zero sum world where everything stabilizes itself to nothing, and doesn’t really follow a purpose but does follow a pattern. Understanding the difference between the two ways of thinking, I propose a model of understanding philosophical enlightenment, in a way that sounds less obnoxious than the Allegory of the Cage.

Lausten
    Keymaster
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.