Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Abortion, Right and Wrong, By Rachel Richardson Smith

Forums Forums Humanism Abortion, Right and Wrong, By Rachel Richardson Smith

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Sree
    Participant

What did v.3 mean by that salt table?

Sree, when a grain of salt won’t do – you might want to try a salt table.     🙂

You gotta figure out the rest for yourself       😉

Mriana,  🙂

Yeah another part of being a bit of a hot head is being a passionate guy.  Fortunately I had a wonderful mother who taught me respect for others,  I dare say a guiding light for me has been, I never wanted anything from a woman that she didn’t want to offer me.  Some consider it a wimpy approach but I’ve found it makes friendships so much easier (and honest) and it’s resulted in beautiful friendships that are well worth the moderation, plus occasional passions that fizzled into life long friendship, and good memories on both side.  Not that it hasn’t included some heartbreaks, both receiving and giving, but I dare say nothing malicious or vicious.

Forcing yourself on someone, simply leaves wreckage behind.

What’s really nuts is how many decades I have to look back on.  Seems like only yesterday I was a young buck, on the road and strutting my stuff around, but that was ages ago.  How fast we become old, I’m within a few months of 65 now and going on the soc. sec.  – never thought I’d get this old.  Surprise, surprise.  Now days I’m just happy I’m healthy enough to carry around this growing bundle of curiosity they entrust me with (been long stay this time, at 9mo now and we keep getting tighter, it’s going to get ever tougher saying goodbye.  But that’s life ain’t it.  The hello’s are awesome on the flip side.) .

hmmm, poorly written.

“I never wanted anything from a woman anyone that she they didn’t want to offer me.”

I also learned to believed in putting in a good days work for my pay – people like that.  May have rather not worked, but while I’m there working, I working and care about leaving a good job behind too – people liked that also, then came the cascading consequences, fruits of one’s effort and now that I’m at the looking back stage, they’ve been good.

Xian, while you’re busy fighting with ?  – have you spent any time getting to know the people you interact with during you’re day.  I mean have tried engaging in the humanity around you, what ever that may be.  Humans are social animals, but Hollywood tells us we should all be superstars, etc., etc.   Try engaging in the day sometime.

Excuse me while I get back to my little piece of real down to Earth, here and now reality, almost like kayaking, but different.

If I had time I’d finish with a song, 😉

Bob
    Participant

Life begins at conception.  Terminating innocent life is murder.  Murder can be justified.  Men don’t get pregnant.  Everyone should recognize that a woman has all the authority over her body and all the responsibility for her actions.  No one other than the woman has the authority to judge her decisions about her body.

The rest of the world can help by staying out of what is only the woman’s business.  Give help only if you are asked.  Give advice only if you are truly qualified.  Birth control of all kinds should be free and readily and privately available to any female who can get pregnant.  Free morning after pills should be available without someone looking to see who is getting them.

Women, make your own decisions, be prepared to live with them and tell the rest of the world to piss off.

Write4U
    Participant

Bob said ; Life begins at conception.  Terminating innocent life is murder.

That is not true. Not all conception leads to a birth. Most fertilized eggs are still being flushed down when a woman has her delightful few days.

If human life begins at conception, that would make a woman a serial killer every time she ‘aborts” a fertilized egg during her period.

And why do we not count fetuses as people on the census?

How come when it is human it’s an abortion, but when it’s a chicken it’s an omelette. (George Carlin)

Mriana
    Keymaster

@Bob Life does not begin at conception. Terminating a pregnancy is not murder. The Jews believe that life begins at first breath, which is at birth. As for killing babies, God is the biggest murderer of all, which can be read many times over in the Bible. God even ordered babies and pregnant women killed. As for development, why don’t we call it murder when a pregnant whale or chimp is killed? After all the developing fetus looks a lot like a human fetus. There really isn’t any difference, but if you’re going to call terminating a human pregnancy murder, then let’s start calling killing other animals, especially mammals, murder too. Then of course, there is everything that Write4U said.

Sree
    Participant

Write4U: How come when it is human it’s an abortion, but when it’s a chicken it’s an omelette.

Jews do not eat fertile eggs. Do you?

Write4U
    Participant

Sree said ; Jews do not eat fertile eggs. Do you?

Jews don’t eat pork also,  a left-over from the times people would get trichinosis from eating undercooked pork.

Kosher

The following types of meat and meat products are not considered kosher:

Meat from pigs, rabbits, squirrels, camels, kangaroos, or horses
    Predator or scavenger birds, such as eagles, owls, gulls, and hawks
    Cuts of beef that come from the hindquarters of the animal, such as flank, short loin, sirloin, round, and shank

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-kosher#animal-products

IMO, Jewish cuisine wastes a lot of perfectly edible food.

I had a little farm with 3 horses, 3 pigs, a 1oo chickens (2 roosters), 2 goats,  1 sheep, 2 dogs, 3 cats.

Most eggs were fertilized and we used to sell them every day by the dozen to our neighbors.  Our chickens were “sex links”, large red chickens which lay big brown eggs but do not brood, which we raised from a dozen mail ordered eggs in our bathtub.

Breed Characteristics of Golden Comets

Golden comet chickens are a great choice to either start or add to your flock. This chicken comes from crossing two other established breeds, the Rhode Island Red and the White Leghorn. If you’re just starting out, golden comets would be a good option as you learn about the basics of raising poultry. Here is golden comet breed info that may be helpful in your decision when choosing the right kind of chicken to raise.

Easygoing Temperament – Golden comet chickens are known for being sweet and docile. These birds will most likely follow you around affectionately, so they make a great breed for families with kids.
    Excellent Egg Potential – Compared to other hens, golden comets are super egg producers. Golden comet eggs are large, brown and flavorful. You could potentially get seven eggs per week from your golden comet hen.
    Color and Look – Only the females of this breed have the characteristic golden color. Females also typically have white lacing throughout their feathers. Male golden comets come in white.
    Comfortable in Weather – Golden comet chickens can do well in both very warm climates and colder temperatures. That way, your chickens can get that outdoor time for longer periods of the year.

Golden Comet Chickens

We also had “Sister Teresa” a small Banty who did nothing but brood and once hatched 18 eggs from a mountain of 22 sex links eggs.

It was like a cartoon . This tiny chicken sitting on top of this mountain of eggs, constantly rearranging the pile so that all eggs remained warm. When they hatched she would lead them around the yard and after a week the chicks were just about as big as Mother Teresa herself. It was sight…. 🙂

We never had any problems with the yearly swarms of Carpenter ants. Within a day, no ants, termites or other ground critters were to be found around the yard.

Sree, at February 5, 2020 at 10:17 pm that’s playing dirty and reveals your disregard for honestly presenting your evidence.

let me try that for you

Lausten:  How come when it is human it’s an abortion, but when it’s a chicken it’s an omelette. (George Carlin)

Or, “Lausten quoting Carlin … ”

But you make it read like W4U was the author, that’s sloppy, cynical, dishonest.  The Right Wing Way, i guess.

“Sister Teresa” now she looks like a sweetie.  W4U, I imagine you’re familiar with Joel Salatin and his grass farming system?

Many people first became familiar with Salatin’s complex and eco-minded approach to farming when he was featured in Michael Pollan’s bestselling book, The Omnivore’s Dilemma  2006.

Joel Salatin and his mobile Chicken coop, following the cows, timed to coincide with the grubs emerging from the cow shit.

Beautiful thinking like this could have helped save our biosphere for many more generations – had our gluttony not gotten in the way.

Sister Teresa got me thinking about his splendid system, especially the corn seeds into the cow pens.  But it’s a long story.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Citizenschallenge-v.3.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Citizenschallenge-v.3. Reason: Between my eyes and this wicked key board, can't keep that typing straight
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Citizenschallenge-v.3.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Citizenschallenge-v.3. Reason: Between my eyes and this wicked key board, can't keep that typing straight
    Bob
    Participant

That life begins at conception is a fact, backed by scientific observation, not a philosophical or religious argument.  There is no point after conception in the progress towards a fully developed individual where anything adds life to the fertilized egg.  Describing any point in the development of an individual after fertilization as a scientific “beginning” of life is absurd.

Some may attempt to salve their conscience or promote a particular philosophical or religious view by accepting some artificial notion of a beginning of life, and it may be fine for an individual to accept that view, but that won’t eliminate the science.  If anyone wants to demonstrate that life begins at any point other than at conception let them constitute life from a dead embryo or fetus.

Lausten
    Keymaster

Life begins at conception.  Terminating innocent life is murder.  Murder can be justified.  Men don’t get pregnant.  Everyone should recognize that a woman has all the authority over her body and all the responsibility for her actions.  No one other than the woman has the authority to judge her decisions about her body.

In this context, I can agree with Bob’s statement about where life begins. If I were to disagree, I’d say your life began in your grandmother’s womb when your egg was formed in your mother’s womb before her birth. You could eventually claim life is one long unbroken thread. The real question is, when is a life a person as defined by our legal system.

Bob is playing with words a bit, but he makes a good point, “murder can be justified”. Instead of claiming a scientific definition of “life”, then calling abortion murder, we should be arguing what murder is, 6th commandment or however you want to define it. Everyone has justifications for when it’s okay to kill a person.

Bob
    Participant

Lausten: ” If I were to disagree, I’d say your life began in your grandmother’s womb when your egg was formed in your mother’s womb before her birth. You could eventually claim life is one long unbroken thread. The real question is, when is a life a person as defined by our legal system.”

If I were to disagree, I’d say half of your potential life, your egg, … .

And I’d say the question is whether our legal system has any business interfering in what is and can only be the woman’s decision.  The answer I accept is that we and the woman should tell the legal system to get lost.  If society must get involved let us concentrate on prevention.

Write4U
    Participant

Bob said ; Some may attempt to salve their conscience or promote a particular philosophical or religious view by accepting some artificial notion of a beginning of life, and it may be fine for an individual to accept that view, but that won’t eliminate the science.  If anyone wants to demonstrate that life begins at any point other than at conception let them constitute life from a dead embryo or fetus.

Is there a difference between a live fetus and a dead fetus?  Depends on the type of fetus, no?  We kill anything we consider pests.

Women, make your own decisions, be prepared to live with them and tell the rest of the world to piss off.

This I can endorse. It is a law of nature (and religion) that the creator of a life has the right to terminate that life. Does God have greater rights than humans? When God kills a completely healthy vibrant three year old, do we call God a murderer.  Oh no, that’s why we invented the Devil!

And to make sure Carlin is given proper credit;

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.