Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Abortion, Right and Wrong, By Rachel Richardson Smith

Forums Forums Humanism Abortion, Right and Wrong, By Rachel Richardson Smith

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    @ibelieveinlogic
    Participant

Sree:  “And some Professor Macormack at Cambridge University said that humans must become extinct to save the planet.”

Check out a more recent picture:

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co.uk/news/end-procreation-to-save-earth-says-aru-author-in-the-ahuman-manifesto-9098740/

She will get no argument from me if she wants to forego procreation.

With college professors like her there is no wonder young people’s thinking is screwed up.  Hard to believe there isn’t someone there who would know this needs to be fixed.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Her mode of dress is interesting, but her views are horrid. However, not all college professors are like her. However, she’s not a professor at Cambridge, according to the second sentence in the article. She’s only promoting her book and her philosophy there. Colleges are suppose to teach people how to think for themselves. So we’ll just have to see if students have learned to think for themselves. Although, the way things are going, my older son is right about his nephew, in that he might not get to grow up due to the refusal to combat Climate Change and U.S. denying citizens basic human rights like health care.

Dr Patricia MacCormack, professor of continental philosophy at Anglia Ruskin University (ARU),

Found the uni she where she is a professor:

https://aru.ac.uk/

Kids today are open-minded, but I don’t know how far this woman can take her views. I doubt her views will become worldwide though.

Here’s more on her at the uni: https://aru.ac.uk/people/patricia-maccormack

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Mriana.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Mriana.

Oh dear, antinatalist:

“Far from advocating mass death, genocide or eugenics, my manifesto is antinatalist,” says Dr MacCormack. “It boycotts human reproduction due to the damage humans have perpetrated on the Earth and its other inhabitants.

“The manifesto simply asks that humans no longer reproduce – no life is lost, no being is mourned. If we no longer reproduce, we can care for all inhabitants already here, human and non-human, as well as care for the Earth itself by mitigating the damage already caused. It’s an activism of care.

Dressed to persuade and convince.  I think not.  Dressed to provoke, perhaps.

This seems an example of looking at only a fraction of the problem – and coming up with a solution that only provides a fraction of an answer, and that fraction is most unconvincing, the moment you let your thoughts stray onto bigger issues.

Besides believing we can save this planet from imminent massive ecological (yes read life support systems) collapse simple reveals how ill informed we are and the depth of people’s cluelessness when it comes to this planet that created and sustains us.

We are experiencing what we put in the pipeline roughly 30 years, yes Earth systems have momentum.  We have glibly and cluelessly passed so many “tipping points” – but it takes some time for the consequences to catch up with our actions, so people love to believe all is hunky-dory, so long as they keep their eye averted.   Silly humans.

Another case of being lost within one’s Mindscape and no appreciation the Physical Reality we exist within.

More details regarding Patricia’s Mindscape (hat tip to Mriana):

Professor of Continental Philosophy
    Faculty:Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

School: Humanities and Social Sciences

Areas of Expertise: Film, media and communication studies

Patricia is a researcher who has published in the areas of continental philosophy (especially Deleuze, Guattari, Serres, Irigaray, Lyotard, Kristeva, Blanchot, Ranciere), feminism, queer theory, posthuman theory, horror film, body modification, animal rights/abolitionism, cinesexuality and ethics.

Alrightie then, moving right along.  Next,

Now had we appreciated all the lessons we were given in the 60s, 70s about the Population Bomb – then something could have been done.

But then America chose Mr. Hollywood and it was off to the races, peddle to the metal, Greed and Gluttony full speed ahead.  Damn the torpedoes, we’ll let our kids deal with the consequences.

Now here we are, and we still haven’t learned a damned thing.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Reproduction is the natural reaction to stress on any population. Notice it is the less developed countries doing it. So, how about the developed ones stop creating those stresses? That’s easier than convincing billions of people to give up their right to pass on their genes.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Thanks Citizen, but I didn’t see the Cambridge, but I did see the other uni. Maybe it’s a branch of Cambridge. That said, I really don’t think her ideas will catch on, because 1. she’s so far left that she’s right (and I don’t mean correct). IMHO, she makes the Religious Reich look moderate. 2. Peter Singer, Animal Liberation author, had extreme ideas, just as Ingrid Newkirk does, concerning animals. (Yes, I’m an animal welfare and rights activist, but 1. I’m a vegetarian, not vegan and 2. I don’t agree with everything they say) Their ideas haven’t caught on with the masses. They are either laughed at or considered extremists, which they are. I think this woman is right up there with them. 3. Her views, much like veganism, isn’t sustainable- which is her whole point, ending humans. People won’t go for that. Veganism has issues in that, for example, if you don’t use wool (which doesn’t kill the animal) or alike for clothing, what do you use? Cotton eats up all the nutrients in the ground, if done to cover everyone and polyester, well… it’s made of oil basically, not a good thing. So yeah, that’s one issue of many, but her views have just as many problems.

@mriana
    Keymaster

@Citizenchallenge-V.3 did you read this:

Patricia is a researcher who has published in the areas of continental philosophy (especially Deleuze, Guattari, Serres, Irigaray, Lyotard, Kristeva, Blanchot, Ranciere), feminism, queer theory, posthuman theory, horror film, body modification, animal rights/abolitionism, cinesexuality and ethics.

Teaching
    Courses that Patricia has developed and taught include:

Philosophies of Language and the Body
    Language and Gender
    Introduction to Film
    Film and Genre
    Transgressive Media
    Cinema and Sexuality
    Sex, Gender and Identity
    Film Modernity and Post-Modernity
    Images and Rhetoric of Conflict
    Language and Image: Theorising Popular Culture
    Language, Bodies and Subjectivity: Theories and Practices of Gender
    Media, Identity and Difference
    Analysing Language and Image, Introduction to Communication
    Visual Communication

She has nothing on the Adams Family or the Munster, even in dress. What gets me is the animal abolitionist. I don’t think she realizes that if domesticated animals are suddenly set free, they cannot survive on their own. In essences, she’d be killing a lot of animals by abandoning them, which is the very thing she’s allegedly against.

BTW, if she is so into animals, why is she so anti-animal? She basically is intent on killing off the human animal (allegedly without genocide, I disagree though) and indirectly killing domesticated animals too. What happened in her life that she wants to “modify” her body or is she just queer? Why talk about sex and sexuality if you want the human species to die out? Does her horror film and Transgressive media include Rocky Horror Show? (Yeah, I know, I’m terrible. lol But they’re good and legit questions)

@write4u
    Participant

Professor of Continental Philosophy

Is that something to be proud of? Let’s see,

The term continental philosophy, like analytic philosophy, lacks clear definition and may mark merely a family resemblance across disparate philosophical views. Simon Glendinning has suggested that the term was originally more pejorative than descriptive, functioning as a label for types of western philosophy rejected or disliked by analytic philosophers.[4] Nonetheless, Michael E. Rosen has ventured to identify common themes that typically characterize continental philosophy.[5]

First, continental philosophers generally reject the view that the natural sciences are the only or most accurate way of understanding natural phenomena. This contrasts with many analytic philosophers who consider their inquiries as continuous with, or subordinate to, those of the natural sciences. Continental philosophers often argue that science depends upon a “pre-theoretical substrate of experience” (a version of Kantian conditions of possible experience or the phenomenological “lifeworld”) and that scientific methods are inadequate to fully understand such conditions of intelligibility

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_philosophy

Wow, deep……!

@ibelieveinlogic
    Participant

Mriana:  “if you don’t use wool (which doesn’t kill the animal) or alike for clothing, what do you use? Cotton eats up all the nutrients in the ground, if done to cover everyone and polyester, well… it’s made of oil basically, not a good thing.”

I really like the way rayon looks and feels on a woman.

Its too slinky for me unless its used as a liner for my leathers.  Then I can enjoy it, secretly.

@mriana
    Keymaster

@Write4U yeah, I agree, the term is nothing to be proud of, but you know how Millenials are always trying to change even our vocabularies. Politically I’m with them the majority of things they want, but socially and alike, I’m still part of my generation.

@thatoneguy
    Participant
    @write4u
    Participant

Bob said:Mriana:  “if you don’t use wool (which doesn’t kill the animal) or alike for clothing, what do you use? Cotton eats up all the nutrients in the ground, if done to cover everyone and polyester, well… it’s made of oil basically, not a good thing.”

I really like the way rayon looks and feels on a woman. Its too slinky for me unless its used as a liner for my leathers.  Then I can enjoy it, secretly.

Oh, and using wood is a good thing?

You know what would be a good thing ? Hemp clothing. Hemp can produce the finest cloth and has an addition 1200 commercial uses, from paper to medicines, to building bricks.

More importantly, Hemp is a soil fixer and the best CO2 scrubber of any plant, Including trees.  1 acre of Hemp can produce more fibre than 20 acres of trees. It grows in all climates and can thrive on poor soils and uses little water, is relatively disease free, and requires very little maintenance.

If there is one purely beneficial plant in nature it is Hemp. Check it out!

Environmental and Economic Benefits of Hemp

Hemp is the same plant as marijuana, its scientific name is “cannabis sativa.” For thousands of years hemp was used to make dozens of commercial products like paper, rope, canvas, and textiles. In fact, the very name “canvas” comes from the Dutch word meaning cannabis, which is marijuana. That’s correct, real canvas is made from marijuana!

Many years ago hemp/marijuana was unjustly banned. However, hemp has recently been rediscoverd as a plant that has enormous environmental, economic, and commercial potential. What follows are some fascinating facts about hemp/marijuana – facts that will shock most people:

The potential of hemp for paper production is enormous. According to the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, one acre of hemp can produce 4 times more paper than one acre of trees! All types of paper products can be produced from hemp: newsprint, computer paper, stationary, cardboard, envelopes, toilet paper, even tampons.

FACT: THERE IS NO TREE OR PLANT SPECIES ON EARTH CAPABLE OF PRODUCING AS MUCH PAPER PER ACRE AS HEMP! HEMP IS NUMBER ONE!

Paper production from hemp would eliminate the need to chop down BILLIONS of trees! MILLIONS of acres of forests and huge areas of wildlife habitat could be preserved.

http://www.nemeton.com/static/nemeton/axis-mutatis/hemp.html

And that’s just a start. The more you learn about Hemp, the more you discover about its beneficial uses.  You know why Hemp is illegal in the US? Oil!

Hemp makes an excellent bio-fuel without adding to CO2 pollution. It recycles CO2 rather than being released from deep earth sequestration as with oil.

@ibelieveinlogic
    Participant

Write4U:  “Oh, and using wood is a good thing?”

Unless you would rather use steel or another metal for building homes and furniture.  Don’t know about smoking or grilling my food over hemp.

Does hemp produce oxygen better than trees?  I can hardly envision the Amazon hemp forest.

I do expect that when they breed the feel good chemicals out it that interest in it will decline rather rapidly.

@mriana
    Keymaster

@Write4U

You know what would be a good thing ? Hemp clothing. Hemp can produce the finest cloth and has an addition 1200 commercial uses, from paper to medicines, to building bricks.

No not for all of us. Some of us are allergic to hemp, just as we are allergic to (sadly) wool. Cotton is good for us who are allergic to hemp and wool, BUT again that takes a lot of nourishment out of the ground that has to be replenished. Hemp can do the same thing. Thus, this is where crop rotation comes in handy as well as composting and fertilizers.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.