Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Almighty Gawd cast His judgement on the Aussies

Forums Forums Religion and Secularism Almighty Gawd cast His judgement on the Aussies

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • Author

That’s funny Mriana, I was working with this video from the Climate 101 group today for an blog post I’m working on.

Somehow seems relevant.

Extreme Weather: What Role Does Global Warming Play? – the Earth101 lecture

Stefan Rahmstorf PhD  |  October 20, 2016  |

Sree
    Participant

So, all the things we do, in order to live the way we need to, are causing greenhouse gases. Seems like we should all just kill ourselves or join the apes and live like they do in the forest. By my reckoning, it will take a while before our wanton way of life will render the planet unfit for human habitation.

To each his own. You folks can take off into the wild. I will go on feasting on steaks, drive my 400 horsepower supercharged chick magnet, and fly the friendly skies.

Write4U
    Participant

Sree said,

To each his own. You folks can take off into the wild. I will go on feasting on steaks, drive my 400 horsepower supercharged chick magnet, and fly the friendly skies.

I don’t know how old you are Sree, but in another 40 years you may no longer be able to drive that gas hog or fly the friendly skies.

In about 40 years we’ll have reached the end of oil and I’m not aware of any eletrical flying machine  You may be able to buy an eletrical motorcycle if we can reduce the size of batteries.

I know that sounds almost blaphemous, a world without oil?  Yet this is sure to happen wether we like it or not. It is not a renewable resource and the end of fossil fuels is in sight.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Write4U.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Write4U.
    Lausten
    Keymaster

in order to live the way we need to

How many different flavors of Doritos and variations of Monster drink do we “need”?

Seems like we should all just kill ourselves

Black and white thinking is not a sign of maturity.

By my reckoning

That’s the whole problem isn’t it? Too many people think they can just “reckon”. They can look at massive fires and storms and reckon that’s just the way it is. If it isn’t harming them directly now, there’s nothing that is needed to be done.

TimB
    Participant

Sree>  Hey Tim, I am a biker. The picture of that motorbike next to the fire can’t be of a real scene. Is that Aussie an idiot or is the gas tank empty?

TimB>  They’re Aussies, mate.  They’re just throwing some prawns on the Barbie.  All  is well.  Get back to your fantasy world of magnetic gas guzzlers that attract metallic chicks. (But just remember. The Lord thy Gawd Almighty is making a list and checking it twice.)

Sree
    Participant

Lausten: How many different flavors of Doritos and variations of Monster drink do we “need”?

As many as the choices folks in a free secular society makes in their irreligious pursuit of happiness.

Lausten: Black and white thinking is not a sign of maturity.

Same goes for right and wrong; especially, when its comes from a moral high ground.

Lausten: That’s the whole problem isn’t it? Too many people think they can just “reckon”. They can look at massive fires and storms and reckon that’s just the way it is. If it isn’t harming them directly now, there’s nothing that is needed to be done.

And too many people don’t practice what they preach. If we are apes, then take our places in the grand scheme of things among the flora and the fauna on the planet. Don’t act like masters of the universe, displaying a Godlike nature distinctive of a creator we deny.

Sree
    Participant

Write4U: In about 40 years we’ll have reached the end of oil and I’m not aware of any eletrical flying machine You may be able to buy an eletrical motorcycle if we can reduce the size of batteries.

The electric bike is here but I prefer the rumble of my Harley. I have faith in human ingenuity. By the grace of God, we always come through. If not, I still have my sailboat.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Sree.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Sree.
    Lausten
    Keymaster

Same goes for right and wrong; especially, when its comes from a moral high ground.

Right and wrong are not black and white.

Don’t act like masters of the universe

Says the guy who wants to drive a big truck and checks with his golfing buddy to see how global climate is going.

Thanks for verifying my assessment of what you are all about.

Write4U
    Participant

Sree said,

By the grace of God, we always come through.

Seems to me the grace of God has it’s limitations.

I still have my sailboat.

Now you’re talking.  Use pure unadulterated natural energy for propulsion.

Where cranking up a machine takes no skill, sailing is an art.

I used to have a 26′ shallow draft lake cruiser. I got too old to rig her myself and had to sell her with sorrow in my heart.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Write4U.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Write4U.
    TimB
    Participant

The sorrow has not diminished the purity of your heart, Write4U, imho.

TimB
    Participant

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/australia-fire-smoke-will-complete-a-full-circuit-of-earth-nasa-says/ar-BBYVwo2?ocid=spartanntp#image=BBWBMoO|4

This is Melbourne today (1/14/2020).

Some of the Bushfire smoke is also, already half way around the world and is expected to make the full trip.

Write4U
    Participant

A perfect example of the ‘butterfly effect”. One spark and soon the smoke of the fire resulting from this spark will reach around the world.

Sree
    Participant

Melbourne friend confirms presence of haze, Tim. Nothing to be alarmed about. I lived through that kind of haze that covers Singapore for a couple of months every year or so. The smokiness comes from the “slash and burn” fires in Indonesia. It isn’t a nice situation but it isn’t the end of the world. California burns too. Check the satellite pictures. There are hot spots all over the planet like acne on a teenager’s skin. Just deal with it.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Sree.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Sree.
    TimB
    Participant

Even the coal loving “conservatives” in power in Australia are curbing their anti-climate rhetoric, Sree.  https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2020-01-15/australia-softens-climate-change-rhetoric-as-bushfires-and-voters-rage

Widdershins
    Participant

So, all the things we do, in order to live the way we need want to, are causing greenhouse gases.

There is the corrected version of your statement.  We don’t need houses full of junk we haven’t looked at in years.  We don’t need to have so much garbage that we have to rent storage sheds just to store the junk so unimportant to us that we let it rot in a storage shed.  We don’t need to have 30 music channels on the television so that we can use your energy hogging televisions as stereos.  We don’t need to have the skin ripped off form avocados and replaced with plastic so that it takes us 5 seconds instead of 45 to get to the part we want.

It is a total farce when someone plays the “Let’s just all kill ourselves, then!” card.  It is a totally disingenous argument.  Nobody is saying that.  Just maybe get a hybrid instead of a Hummer and simply use the money you saved to put toward going to your doctor and just getting a bigger dick.  Two problems solved at once.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.