Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Are nouns illusory?

Forums Forums General Discussion Are nouns illusory?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  TimB 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Xain
    Participant

It came up in a discussion. The point being made is that since things are changing all the time that it’s not right to use nouns to refer to then as some kind of fixed and permanent things but to use action verbs to do so. Like thinking, working, etc.

Doesn’t make sense to me since those are actions. A noun doesn’t imply the object is permanent or doesn’t change.

Lausten
    Participant

Well, you used “point being” correctly in that sentence. Better than I can say for some people.

Xain
    Participant

It’s just that when I heard it I got into a tailspin of definitions. But I just had this notion that actions (verbs) don’t fit as “objects” (according to his version). Things change but that doesn’t make them verbs, but I don’t know the philosophical words to argue that.

Player
    Participant

XAIN – Rome is burning around and this what occupies your mind?

Xain
    Participant

I don’t live in Rome so I don’t care. I care about this thing that could potentially upend how I live life or experience it. Potentially that is.

Player
    Participant

You dont live on mother earth? Are you a moron??

Lausten
    Participant

Good demonstration of why we have global warming. There was a moment there I thought humanity might make it. I’m back to doubting again.

Xain
    Participant

I live on Earth yes, but not Rome. Ergo what happens there doesn’t concern me, and to be frank what happens to the planet doesn’t concern me either. I’m more concerned about this and the potentially mind bending implications for me (just me though, I don’t think other people would be influenced by it). I think I got it from actualized.org.

Player
    Participant

Cretin comes to mind

Xain
    Participant

Huh?

Advocatus
    Participant

Don’t let Player bother you, Xain.  Most of us have learned by now to ignore 80% of what he says, and take the rest with a grain of salt.

This idea reminds me of a beautiful story by Borges, “Tlon Uqbar Orbis Tertius”.  It’s about a totally fictional planet that was invented by a group of scholars.  The language of Tlon was said to have no nouns either.  They supposedly spoke in verbs and adjectives.  I suppose that a whole nation of poets could bring that off, but for most of us language is just a rough approximation of thought anyway.  Nouns are essential to make ourselves understood.

Xain
    Participant

I’m kind of stuck on this one since aren’t “noun”s just the process of molecules holding together in a certain way?

Xain
    Participant

I mean how can nouns be nouns when things are never permanent or unchanging?

LoisL
    Participant

Xian, you’re mixing up grammar and physics. You might hurt yourself.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.