Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Are nouns illusory?

Forums Forums General Discussion Are nouns illusory?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  TimB 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Xain
    Participant

But that was the central aspect of his argument. That because nouns refer to fixed and permanent things (and such things in real life aren’t that way) that nouns are an illusion. I’m having a rough time trying to find a way to say no to it.

Stardusty Psyche
    Participant

Perception roughly converges reality, but is actually a controlled hallucination.  Your brain just processes electrochemical signals coming in.

Objects that seem to be fixed are actually changing.  Everything is in motion.

We function by making abstracted boundaries and considering the contents of those boundaries as fixed, at least long enough to take some sort of action.

Life operates with inaccurate senses, distorted perceptions, approximations, and probability estimates.  Then you die.

I suggest you just accept our universe as it is, find amazement and enjoyment within your limitations, and enjoy the ride, you only go around once and it doesn’t last long.

Xain
    Participant

Perception roughly converges reality, but is actually a controlled hallucination.  Your brain just processes electrochemical signals coming in.

Objects that seem to be fixed are actually changing.  Everything is in motion.

We function by making abstracted boundaries and considering the contents of those boundaries as fixed, at least long enough to take some sort of action.

Life operates with inaccurate senses, distorted perceptions, approximations, and probability estimates.  Then you die.

I suggest you just accept our universe as it is, find amazement and enjoyment within your limitations, and enjoy the ride, you only go around once and it doesn’t last long.

Doesn’t really answer the question at hand. Also your last sentence is false in terms of advice.

TimB
    Participant

If I am dying of thirst, and say the noun “water” as a request, and someone gives me water, is it an illusion that I survive rather than die of thirst?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.