Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Battle of Belleau Woods WWI

Forums Forums Politics and Social Issues Battle of Belleau Woods WWI

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author

@Guy, guy, guy . . .

https://www.gazettenet.com/Sheirer-column-22709232

Columnist John Sheirer: Why do Trump supporters ignore his disrespect for our military?

1/14/2019

Like so much of what Trump says, that’s an outright lie. And he told the “first time in 10 years” lie back in May 2018 to a group of military spouses and mothers. Someone must have told him that he was wrong then, but he repeated the lie anyway.

Republicans have always coddled Trump on military matters. Here’s a summary of the issues that Republicans have generally ignored about the president:

■Avoiding the Vietnam draft for suspect “heel spurs.”

■Claiming that not getting STDs while sleeping around was like going to Vietnam.

■Claiming that military prep school trained him more than actual soldiers.

■Attacking war hero John McCain.

■Repeatedly lying about his support for the Iraq War.

■Claiming that American soldiers stole millions of dollars during the Iraq War.

■Attacking Gold Star Parents Khizr and Ghazala Khan.

■Stigmatizing PTSD sufferers as soldiers who “can’t handle” their experiences.

■Claiming he donated to veterans organizations but only doing so after pressure from reporters.

■Saying he always wanted a Purple Heart.

■Approving a disastrous military raid in Yemen that killed a Navy Seal.

■Claiming that other presidents didn’t contact the relatives of fallen soldiers.

■Telling a fallen soldier’s pregnant widow that her husband, “knew what he signed up for.”

■Skipping a ceremony to honor WWI veterans during a trip to France because of rain.

■Attacking American military leaders who disagree with him.

■Sending thousands of troops to the border as a political stunt before the 2018 elections.

■Politicizing his Thanksgiving Day call to the troops.

■Pulling troops out of Syria against experts’ guidance.

Considering Trump’s terrible record, how do Republicans justify supporting a president who shows such hostility and disrespect toward our military?

I’m guessing that many of them, like my student back in 2010, don’t fact-check Trump’s statements.

Many simply dismiss responsible fact-checking of Trump’s lies as “fake news” from the so-called “liberal media.”

But no one can reasonably claim that Trump’s lies about military pay were just political spin or that Democrats tell equivalent lies.

Trump lies constantly and egregiously, with The Washington Post documenting more than 7,600 lies during his time in office.

Trump’s Oval Office speech last week was full of yet more outlandish lies.

His supporters either don’t have the ability to know the truth or they don’t care.

The fact that they ignore Trump’s military lies is a new low in hypocrisy.

So why is it?

Wish I could expect some sincere serious response.  Surprise me.

@sree
    Participant

The pattern is there.  The man’s contempt for military personal is there for all to hear.  Why you ignore and try to run cover, is anyone’s guess.

Let me guess, and I won’t run for cover. General Patton’s contempt for cowardice in the ranks is legendary. General MacArthur’s contempt for his Commander-in-Chief is also legendary. The President of the United States expressed contempt for military personnel, either in service or retired, who violated the chain of command to undermine his authority, is justified.

@timb
    Participant

If the t rump had been our “POTUS” when Patton and MacArthur were active in WWII, the USA would now be a colony of Germany and Japan.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Trump could handle this by coming out with some glowing words for the troops, an inspirational speech, visits to wounded. I don’t think he’s capable of that which is enough to disqualify him.

@sree, The President of the United States expressed contempt for military personnel, either in service or retired, who violated the chain of command to undermine his authority, is justified.

sree, what a poster child of of trump sycophant you make.      Trump has the greatest disrespect for Chain of Command of any president we’ve ever had, military and civilians alike.   T rump is more enamored with dictators and totalitarians than with America’s democracy and its people.

Donald Trump does not hate protests—he hates dissent
    John HudakFriday, June 5, 2020

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2020/06/05/donald-trump-does-not-hate-protests-he-hates-dissent/

fYI

https :  //www _ diversityinc _ com/trumps-record-of-hate-to-date/

https :  //www _ hrc _ org/resources/trumps-timeline-of-hate

Yo Guy, some fresh news that might interest you,

According to reporting in The Atlantic, the president disparaged the intelligence of service members, and asked that wounded veterans be kept out of military parades. Trump called the reporting fake news yet other outlets have also confirmed. Aired on MSNBC 09/08/2020.

@sree
    Participant

Speaking for myself, what is the point of showing off wounded veterans in military parades? Here again, I detect touchy-feely liberal progressive nonsense. It’s ok for a man to cry, to come to terms with his weaknesses, his bad luck, just to make the least among us feel better about themselves. All sentiment, no heart.

To my mind, wounded warriors are tragic. All those gravestones for the dead at Arlington and elsewhere are tragic.  We should be ashamed of ourselves for letting that happen.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Here again, I detect touchy-feely liberal progressive nonsense.  — Sree

Your cynicism and your willingness to twist anything into the “liberal” label knows no bounds. It’s not possible that someone could as unaware of the last 50 years of US history as you are. This forum has been pretty lively lately and one of the reasons I let you stay is that you at least provided some content. But we have plenty of content now. Am I making myself clear?

@timb
    Participant

Most of the military hero-worship we see today is a charade because very few modern Americans have anything to do with the military.

How about just respect?  No worship, just respect, for those who were willing to risk their lives for the rest of us?

How about honoring my father (veteran of WWII) who spent most of his adult life locked in a VA psychiatric facility?

How about showing respect to ALL of the family members who have had someone serve, and be injured or killed?

Nobody worships the military these days, but we still pay them respect. Not like when they were spit on returning from Viet Nam.

But you seem quite comfortable with having a CinC who thinks any soldier who risks his/her safety or life are really just suckers and losers.

Which were you in your service, oneguy, a “sucker” or a “loser”, or are you a lucky winner, since you were not injured or killed?

@lausten
    Keymaster

Most of the military hero-worship we see today is a charade because very few modern Americans have anything to do with the military. –oneguy

Are you sure you live in America? I’m surrounded by families with people in the military. I’ve been to military funerals. I personally have no connection but I have plenty to “do with” the military. It’s 50% of our federal budget. I don’t know how you could avoid it unless you were very selective about your friends and acquaintances.

@timb
    Participant

My best friend who accidentally shot himself last year was integrally self-defined by his military service.  He was also on medicines to treat chronic back issues from a parachuting mishap. And I suspect he suffered from PTSD as well. I always respected his service. But beyond that, I admired his perceptivity and ability to quickly see things as they are, when others had not yet figured it out.

Anyway, it never crossed my mind that he was a “sucker” or a “loser” because of his military service.

@thatoneguy
    Participant

Are you sure you live in America? I’m surrounded by families with people in the military. I’ve been to military funerals. I personally have no connection but I have plenty to “do with” the military. It’s 50% of our federal budget. I don’t know how you could avoid it unless you were very selective about your friends and acquaintances.

There’s a generational difference here.  Boomers have known many veterans throughout their lives because military service was far more common in the 1940s-70s. The younger people — not so much.  Only a very, very small percentage of military age Americans served in the “War on Terror” compared to the size of their generations, which was younger Gen-X and early to middle Millennials.

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/11/23/the-military-civilian-gap-fewer-family-connections/

A smaller share of Americans currently serve in the U.S. Armed Forces than at any time since the peace-time era between World Wars I and II. During the past decade, as the military has been engaged in the longest period of sustained conflict in the nation’s history, just one-half of one percent of American adults has served on active duty at any given time.1 As the size of the military shrinks, the connections between military personnel and the broader civilian population appear to be growing more distant.

While most Americans today have family members who once served or are currently serving in the armed forces, there is a large generation gap on this measure. In a recent Pew Research Center survey, more than three-quarters (77%) of adults ages 50 and older said they had an immediate family member –a spouse, parent, sibling or child – who had served in the military. For many of these adults, their military family members are likely to have served prior to the phasing out of the military draft in 1973.

However, adults under the age of 50 are much less likely to have family members who served in the military. Some 57% of those ages 30-49 say they have an immediate family member who served. And among those ages 18-29, the share is only one-third.

@thatoneguy
    Participant

The pattern is there.  The man’s contempt for military personal is there for all to hear.  Why you ignore and try to run cover, is anyone’s guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=85&v=sGDFFyH6M2A&feature=emb_title

Haha, if insulting military leaders demonstrates contempt for the military then all military personnel must be guilty as hell!

While on this topic it’s worth pointing out you would not want a president who constantly defers to military authority.  Many military leaders are pathetic and should be called out.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Most of the people I know in military are younger. I wasn’t limiting to family

@thatoneguy
    Participant

So what? You’re still wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.