Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Can Nature and God be the same thing?

Forums Forums Humanism Can Nature and God be the same thing?

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Write4U
    Participant

Beauty and Grace are mathematical patterns.

Blaire
    Participant

@Sree

1. Please identify the diety  you worship

2. How old do you think the earth is?

3.  What was the purpose of attaching the belly dancer?

Thank You

Sree
    Participant

1. Me, I worship me.

2. What earth? I don’t believe in science fiction and fairy tales.

3. You see a belly dancer? Then, you are not taking in the whole picture.

Write4U
    Participant

Sree, your talking yourself in an psychological corner.

Even if you’re playing word games, by your own admission you are describing  symptoms of sociopathy. Don’t get lost in that game.

Sree
    Participant

Write4U: Even if you’re playing word games, by your own admission you are describing symptoms of sociopathy. Don’t get lost in that game.

Sociopathy, a personality disorder, in the secular world is akin to sinful nature in the religious world.

Are you asking me to repent?

TimB
    Participant

If my Jr High math teacher was more like that belly dancer, I would not have fallen asleep so much in math class.

Write4U
    Participant

Sree said,

Are you asking me to repent?

Nope, I am cautioning you against becoming too self-absorbed. Healthy self-esteem is not a sin, its knowledge. Excessive self-indulgenge is a sin against yourself.

TimB
    Participant

Sree, I think you should repent. But I don’t think you can.

Sree
    Participant

What was your High School math teacher like, Tim? Did she have too much of a belly?

Sree
    Participant

Write4U: Nope, I am cautioning you against becoming too self-absorbed. Healthy self-esteem is not a sin, its knowledge. Excessive self-indulgenge is a sin against yourself.

There is only me. There is no one else but me.

Write4U
    Participant

Sree said,

There is only me. There is no one else but me.

And what properties does your “me” enjoy? Mental me? Physical me?

You do realize your me is a biome consisting of a mental me, 10 % physical human cells and 90 % physical bacterial cells.

Your physical me is mostly bacterial, did you know that?

Without them critters you would not live very long, a couple days, tops.

Lausten
    Keymaster

Would you rather lose yourself in the sound of the violin or see the action of horse hair on cow gut?

If you are simply aware of what you are doing when, this is really not a question. Not an either/or question anyway. I briefly mentioned the difference to Xian recently with the example of seeing someone wink, and either knowing the full context of that and all it’s cultural implications, or just seeing it as muscles moving. It’s sad to me, that people can’t be aware of the science of light refraction and also enjoy the beauty of the rainbow. Why can’t you see the horse hair and still lose yourself in that sound? The musician understands it.

Write4U
    Participant

Lausten: Why can’t you see the horse hair and still lose yourself in that sound? The musician understands it.

Indeed,

Moreover, knowing the mathematics of music composition allows for the creation of  timeless symphonies.

Music theory has no axiomatic foundation in modern mathematics, yet the basis of musical sound can be described mathematically (in acoustics) and exhibits “a remarkable array of number properties”.[1] Elements of music such as its form, rhythm and metre, the pitches of its notes and the tempo of its pulse can be related to the measurement of time and frequency, offering ready analogies in geometry.

The attempt to structure and communicate new ways of composing and hearing music has led to musical applications of set theory, abstract algebra and number theory. Some composers have incorporated the golden ratio and Fibonacci numbers into their work

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics

A jingle selling Coca Cola; “I’d like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony”,  is not a musical work of genius. (althought it rests on mathematics).

Sree
    Participant

Write4U: Moreover, knowing the mathematics of music composition allows for the creation of timeless symphonies.

So, what instrument were you playing as a professional musician? Cite one timeless symphony.

Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.