Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Coronavirus

Forums Forums General Discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 854 total)
  • Author
    @timb
    Participant

If I am to be hopeful, I would hope that some of the vaccines that we already have gotten, like the regular flu shot and pneumonia vaccine, might help with decreasing the severity of COVID-19.  But who knows?

@timb
    Participant

The great decorated hero of America, Rush Limbaugh, asserted that this Coronavirus out break is nothing more than the common cold.  And that the entire hullabaloo about it is just another way for the Dems to weaponize “fake info” to target T rump.

COVID-19 is a virus in the same family as the common cold, but it is mutated.

But Rush has that medal… so hmmm…

He is still stupid, the medal apparently didn’t help with that.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Do I feel safer already? I think my rant in the other thread said “Hell no!” But yes, I think official deduced it was a bat. Poor things are always getting blamed for everything. And yes, airborne via sneeze or cough, as well as the sick or a carrier touching something and then someone else touches is what they’ve deduced.

I think the flu kills more people than that every year, but still it kills more people than the COVID-19 has thus far. The thing is, the dotard is more at risk of dying than younger people due to his age. Still, what little I read of his speech, he doesn’t comprehend anything about what he is up against. He’s more worried that the drop in the stock market and the COVID-19 are going to cost him the election. *rolling eyes* That would be the last straw for sure, but with the masses, he’s already lost if he doesn’t steal the election again.

@mriana
    Keymaster

This is a good one to remind people not just slap soap on their hands and rinse, which I’ve seen them do after using the restroom. Seem you have to right click and hit open in new window.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Mriana.
    @write4u
    Participant

Has anyone entertained the idea that the virus may be imported via mail or mail-order goods.?

No human contact,  just open your package that was handled by an infected person and your infected. No trace or source in the immediate neighborhood.

@mriana
    Keymaster

They say orders from China are safe because the virus cannot live that long. However, I’m like you- I rather err on the side of caution and not do mail orders.

@timb
    Participant

It’s a virus that we don’t know.  We do not know if it can survive 2 weeks on a surface.  Probably not.  But we don’t know.  But what about express mail?

Locally, what about junk mail that was sneezed on by a postal worker who thinks he has a mild cold?

@mriana
    Keymaster

I don’t know. I just know that what I’ve read about mail orders. The thing is, we could go to the local store for some things and be exposed. Or we could go out to eat (that one’s my big worry) and end up exposed by a sick cook who won’t take off due to no sick time or medical insurance to see a doctor. S/he could be running a fever and then get hauled off to the hospital from work while cooking food because s/he is sick from it. They don’t even know if it will die down over the summer months or continue or ramp up or what.

Update: Washington State has lost a second person to the COVID-19. A 70 year old man with underlying health issues, much like the 50-something man. 🙁

@timb
    Participant

Thanks for the update.  Rule of thumb, one would think, is that if there is a 2% death rate, then there is likely around 100 people who have the virus, if 2 died, from it, that we know of.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, there are 70 people… wait N.Y. now has one confirmed case, so I guess it’s 71 or 70 with the loss of this new one. It was 70, one died, then one Dx in N.Y. So I guess it’s still 70, if you include those on the Princess cruise ship that were brought home. If those who were on the ship are not included, which they sometimes are not, depending on which article you read, is doing the update. Italy now has around 200 confirmed cases and according to my source who lives in Southern Italy, Italy isn’t closing anything to fight it. In fact, she said officials decided not to fight it, which is dumb in my opinion and she agreed. France has around 100.

If you’re into keeping tab on the number, as they say it’s a rapidly evolving situation

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

@mriana
    Keymaster

I saw that two days ago, bookmarked it, and now it wants a username and password from me. I can’t seem to view it now.

update: Now it’s letting me view it via your link. Wonder what happened with my bookmark?

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Mriana.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by Mriana.

That stinks, I just found it this morning.  All these connections being forced on us, so yet another layer of entities can track your every move.  Weird world, even without the environmental cannibalism and interconnected global biology hitting the fan, yeah as in shit, this AI world we’re building will implode on itself.

Most people think it’s so permanent, well let your “battery” run out and see how much good our computer or phone or smart TV does us.  The complex global grid is an incredible number of facilities that need to be powered, maintained and running to perfection to operate.  See potential problems there, considering how unstable global affairs are getting?

Saw an interesting video last night, glossy for sure, but still the gathering of facts and visuals spoke for itself.  It’s a few years old and I’m surprised I hadn’t come across it before, it’s a great add on to Earth’s Evolution.  And then came man.

https://www.pbs.org/show/humanity-space/    2015  PBS

Trace humankind’s long journey from hunter-gatherer to dominant global species. From the perspective of space, this special uses mind-boggling data and CGI to disclose the breathtaking extent of humanity’s influence, revealing how we’ve transformed our planet and produced an interconnected world of extraordinary complexity.

@timb
    Participant

Re: the Coronavirus.  I saw an interview of Gov. Cuomo (of NY).  Cuomo was going on and on about how we should be getting true information about the status of the virus.  He went on and on about how we SHOULD NOT overestimate the scariness of the outbreak.  Cuomo stated many many times during his spiel, that the death rate from COVID-19 is ONLY twice that of the regular flu. It is probably, actually closer to 20 times the death rate of the flu.

This was glaring misinformation, being spread by an official who was complaining that there should NOT BE misinformation spread about the disease. So F Governor Cuomo and the horse he rode in on.

@mriana
    Keymaster

We had similar here in my area too. However, WHO said 81% have a mild case (whatever that is) and recover. On top of it all, they aren’t going to test here because it’s “no worse than the flu” at worse and at best like “a cold” and the reason why they aren’t going to test unless the person is needing to be hospitalized, is because it takes days for the results to return. The reporter said people want to know if they are contagious (well if you have the flu you are contagious, but that’s not what she meant). It’s ridiculous, but stay home if they feel sick, but don’t have any info to give to their employer to get time off without being penalized. It’s crazy. The mayor of KC speaking in a video on the link below. I only hope they are not just doing crowd control and it ends up being a horror.

https://www.kshb.com/news/national/coronavirus/kansas-city-leaders-detail-preparations-answer-questions-about-coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 854 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.