Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Coronavirus

Forums Forums General Discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 854 total)
  • Author
    @thatoneguy
    Participant

Words of Wisdom from the WHO:

“Stigma, to be honest, is more dangerous than the virus itself. Fear and panic are dangerous,” World Health Organization director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said. “It’s fine to be concerned and worried, but let’s calm down and do the right things.”

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/coronavirus-is-a-deadly-threat-e2-80-94-but-fear-and-panic-are-more-dangerous-global-health-chief-says/ar-BB10EEmL

@timb
    Participant

Who’s afraid?  Who’s panicking?

I’m outraged and disgusted by the incompetence of the US response, so far.

I think that complacency, and being quiet about lack of testing for instance, would have meant further delay in getting that BASIC INITIAL step done.

@timb
    Participant

EVEN NOW, the CDC’s guidance, though, still says that people who haven’t traveled to countries with outbreaks and who have not been in contact with people sick with COVID-19 shouldn’t be tested unless they’re sick enough that they need to be hospitalized. That guidance likely won’t be sufficient to pick up any virus spreading among people who don’t get severely ill, which is around 80 to 85 percent of cases.

That CDC guidance could, however, work very well to limit the number of cases identified.  But who would want to limit the # of cases identified???  Can you say T rump?

@mriana
    Keymaster

The dotard could kill us all- not necessarily by the virus, but many other ways. I just hope we get him AND his cronies out of office before they do something so stupid that millions die. I just don’t trust him or his cronies. Yes, I’m angry more than I have fear. I don’t know if I’m high risk being in my 50s with a chronic sinusitis, but I know my husband with asthma and high blood and my mother who’s 75 with asthma and high blood pressure are. My older son is almost 31 and has asthma. My younger son isn’t in good health either. There’s thousands of people with families like mine. We don’t know who is in the 80% and who’s not, except for those like my husband and mother. Too many people have lost their elderly parents and spouses already in the U.S. It’s only going to get worse- maybe worse than China because of the dotard and his cronies’ stupidity.

Words of Wisdom from the WHO:

“Stigma, to be honest, is more dangerous than the virus itself. Fear and panic are dangerous,” World Health Organization director Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said. “It’s fine to be concerned and worried, but let’s calm down and do the right things.”

But how to achieve that?  The problem with trump is that he’s ignorant of physical reality and totally focused on himself and his salesman pitch, “It’s all good, full speed ahead, hand me that cash.  He will say anything he needs to his audience and the given moment.  Hasn’t that been made clear a hundred times over?  Why is that okay?  Why has an utter disregard for promises and contracts and commitments, along with a disrespect & disregard of experts become so okay?

We have academia and education and study and experts who’ve spent years, decades, lives, soberly learning about the incomprehensibly, for most of us, complex world of biology.  They have given out rational advice.  Everything else is spin masters.  But those spin meisters, aren’t interested in truth, or learning, or preparing for the future, just political battles and ensuring more profits for their masters.

trump should be totally irrelevant to this discussion.  Because we already know he doesn’t care enough to do any homework.  trump gets his talking points spoon fed by FOX  murdoch corporate masters of the universe that they’ve become.  Yeah, that guy won his long game pretty handily, while the left looked on stupefied and impotent.  Now FOX has trump who is as dishonest as he is disinterested – but people worship him and hate anyone who won’t bow down to him.

Guy, I understand the power-political reasons that the oligarchs love him and are sinking every penny into ensuring trump’s re-election.  They hate government and want to get it out of their way altogether.

But can you come up with any reasonably rational, moral, ethical, humanistic arguments to be made in favor of trump.

{ Other than the bromide that we gotta burn down the forest to let it revegetate.  Guess that’s it, all I see in trump is another short-sighted monster, yes, sort of like Mussolini, his life has been nothing but a ponzi scheme, that his brass balls have enabled him (with a bunch of Russian help) to take up to the highest levels.  What a foolish bunch of citizens we are.  He’s got no place to take us but the big crash.  Sadly we are also destroying our global life support systems fast as possible, so it’s won’t be like previous crashes.  We all lose all, thanks to general disinterest, either way. }

Guy, is having the balls to say fuck off world from the presidential podium, really worth it ?   What has it gained us?

What does he have to offer regular citizens?  Explain?

Yeah, I digress, but we’ll get back to coronavirus soon enough, it’s the defensiveness of the president’s confused ramblings that’s more interesting right now.

Love it, the discussion seems to be on splitting hairs, rather than directly addressing trump’s predisposed contempt for these agencies.

snopes_com/fact-check/trump-cut-cdc-budget/

Although it’s true that Trump’s fiscal year 2021 budget proposal does propose a funding cut to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), that budget has not been enacted.

As The Washington Post explains, those funding cuts target the CDC’s chronic disease activities:

The budget request would trim funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by almost 16 percent. HHS officials said they want the CDC to focus on its core mission of preventing and controlling infectious diseases and on other emerging public health issues, such as opioid abuse.

Officials propose to take the money that would normally go to fund individual disease prevention activities and funnel it into a single block grant to states. The budget says chronic diseases such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes have common risk factors, and thus consolidating funds “can help magnify the public health impact.”

Although the budget reduces overall funding for global health, from $571 million to $532 million in 2021, officials carved out an extra $50 million for global health security, which are measures aimed at disease detection and emergencies. That bump comes at the expense of international HIV/AIDS programs, which is being cut by about $58 million.

Trump administration budget cuts could become a major problem as coronavirus spreads
    BY
    CHRIS MORRIS
    February 26, 2020

fortune_com/2020/02/26/coronavirus-covid-19-cdc-budget-cuts-us-trump/

The cuts started in 2018, as the White House focused on eliminating funding to Obama-era disease security programs. In March of that year, Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer, whose job it was to lead the U.S. response in the event of a pandemic, abruptly left the administration and his global health security team was disbanded.

That same year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was forced to slash its efforts to prevent global disease outbreak by 80% as its funding for the program began to run out. The agency, at the time, opted to focus on 10 priority countries and scale back in others, including China.

Also cut was the Complex Crises Fund, a $30 million emergency response pool that was at the secretary of state’s disposal to deploy disease experts and others in the event of a crisis. (The fund was created by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.)

Overall in 2018, Trump called for $15 billion in reduced health spending that had previously been approved, as he looked at increasing budget deficits, cutting the global disease-fighting budgets of the CDC, National Security Council (NSC), Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and Health and Human Services (HHS) in the process.

The effects of those cuts are being felt today. …

Did Trump Fire the US Pandemic Response Team?
    As a new coronavirus spread in 2020, so did concerns about the United States’ preparedness for a potential pandemic.
    BETHANIA PALMA
    PUBLISHED 26 FEBRUARY 2020
    UPDATED 28 FEBRUARY 2020

snopes_com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/

Claim
    The Trump administration fired the U.S. pandemic response team in 2018 to cut costs.
    Rating

True

@timb
    Participant

The House (Democratic House) passed a bipartisan bill for 8.3 billion to address the coronavirus disease.  THAT IS MORE THAN 3 TIMES WHAT THE WHITE HOUSE ASKED FOR. And it’s probably not enough.  The Dems are desperately trying to help govern.  By doing so, they might even help save us from our DOTUS’s incompetence.

Meantime, I say “F you” to the daily Pence group briefing.  I say “F you” to them, because every day they say that thousands of tests will be available by the end of the week.  1.5 million tests will be available next week.

What about right now???  The disease has been circulating (we now know) for at least several weeks,  inside the USA.  And right now, we are being told daily that lots of testing will be available.  

We cannot understand this disease without identifying it.   And the T rump administration seems to be doing what it always does, lie and delay.  

The COVID-19 virus is immune to T rump lies and scams.  It will do what it will do regardless of  T rump’s minimization lies. 

It didn’t listen when T rump said the cases in the US were about to go to zero.  It is not listening to T rump’s current attempt to blame Obama for the crisis.

It doesn’t care that T rump keeps suggesting that a vaccine will be available soon, or that T rump says that the whole problem will go away when the weather gets warmer.  

It doesn’t care whether the stock market goes up or down, (which seems to be T rump’s biggest concern about the virus impact).

@timb
    Participant
    @mriana
    Keymaster
    @timb
    Participant

This administration is incapable of dealing with this crisis.  Perhaps the “deep state”, (iow the non-partisan career professionals who actually ARE the gears of govt) perhaps they could have the wherewithal to protect us, IF enough have not already been systematically shafted and replaced by T rump kissers.

The daily misinformation from White House briefings is also counterproductive.  Now Azar said that 400,000 tests will be available NEXT WEEK.  WTF about testing that is actually being done, right now?????  It’s pretty close to the end f the week.  They said (various promises of numbers of tests) would be available.  Over ten thousand at least, from the various things they have said.  Are thousands of tests being done today?   No????

This administration has shown itself incapable of doing the first most basic task of addressing the pandemic, which is to get massive numbers of tests done.  They have only shown themselves capable of presenting the situation as if massive testing is going to be available.  Whenever that actually really happens, this administration has FAILED to get it done for weeks.  Might lives have been saved if this administration had not failed so miserably?  Might lives be saved if this administration does not CONTINUE to fail to get testing going?  They are saying that a million tests will be available soon.  But they are LIARS who work for our LIAR DOTUS.  So we can NOT go by what they say, ONLY BY what they do.

Oh and now it’s Obama’s fault?  That’s all trump has blaming other people.

As for the question, what does Obama have to do with it.

March 5, 2020, 2:30 AM MST / Updated March 6, 2020, 7:15 AM MST
    By Mike Hixenbaugh

nbcnews_com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

HOUSTON — Dr. Peter Hotez says he made the pitch to anyone who would listen. After years of research, his team of scientists in Texas had helped develop a vaccine to protect against a deadly strain of coronavirus. Now they needed money to begin testing it in humans.

But this was 2016. More than a decade had passed since the viral disease known as severe acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, had spread through China, killing more than 770 people. That disease, an earlier coronavirus similar to the one now sweeping the globe, was a distant memory by the time Hotez and his team sought funding to test whether their vaccine would work in humans.

“We tried like heck to see if we could get investors or grants to move this into the clinic,” said Hotez, co-director of the Center for Vaccine Development at Texas Children’s Hospital and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. “But we just could not generate much interest.” …

Guess he AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT MATTERED was too busy trying to win political games and make more money, to care about what a worry wart doctor was whining about.

What a shame Obama totally lost at his political game, and never even noticed it happening.  That’s what happens when powerful people surround themselves with sycophants.

@mriana
    Keymaster

You know, I have a lot of articles concerning the COVID=19 on my FB page. Some are from Live Science, NEJM, JAMA, CDC, WHO, as well as NY Times and Wash Po, maybe some other news sources, but I try to stick to the science about it and what news sources are saying about how many and where the virus is. The thing is, I’m not so sure how reliable NY Magazine and fortune.com, among a few other sources posted. Snopes is good. Just be careful of what you read and if it’s not a medical site, fact check the sources. However, authorities really do need to tell the truth, even if it does anger the dotard. The public needs to know who far this virus has spread and how bad it really is. At this point, I have to be honest, I don’t know who to believe except for WHO.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Mriana.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by Mriana.
    @mriana
    Keymaster

This meeting might be finished, but hopefully they recorded it. There is video on site, so hopefully that wasn’t just for the livestream. The panel has doctors and other health professionals at American Progress gathering.

Containing Coronavirus

I think this is the video:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 854 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.