Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Coronavirus

Forums Forums General Discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 853 total)
  • Author
    @timb
    Participant

Nobody gets killed…  … Free choice is a hoax.

Your argument is a sad one.   Actually people are getting killed as we speak.  And I think you meant free “will” is a hoax.

Regardless of whether life and death are predestined and regardless of whether every action that anyone takes is simply a factor of inevitably emerging contingencies, people are getting killed and one of the biggest f’d up contingencies is having the T rump in the position of “leadership”.

@sree
    Participant

Hagar’s millions have not done a thing to improve his thinking skills.

What is the point to thinking skills if you are a pauper?

@thatoneguy
    Participant

More like what’s the point of thinking skills if you’re a rock star!

I like Hagar’s attitude but him putting on concerts isn’t going to help jack s***.   The urge to get back to normal is strong though and it will eventually beat the urge to be cautious.

@timb
    Participant

The urge to get back to normal is strong though and it will eventually beat the urge to be cautious.

First phrase there is correct.  2nd phrase, probably not.  It is definitely a motivating factor, but I expect that it will take more than just that urge to approach getting “back to normal”.

We will need to become more adept at and more massively active in what I have been advocating all along. i.e., Testing & Tracing and ancillary testing populations through randomized samples to learn more about the virus’s behavior and how it effects people according to age, and other risk factors, (plus it would also be nice to have data according to race, and income level, and  medical care availability).

We also need to continue to learn how to better Treat the infection. (So more and more treatments with some efficacy, and most current thought on handling cases from the initial medical contact & all the way throughout any ICU stay.)

We also might get back close to “normal” with an effective vaccine.  But I am concerned that that may be a longshot.

And beyond that, we really do not know what this virus has done, long term, to its infectees or what it will do. In case it has some further bad things ahead for us, it might behoove us to take more time to get prepared for that.

Hence caution, Hoss. Don’t be puttin’ yor spurs to use right yet.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Yeah, I said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s time to just ignore a couple of people and move on either in the conversation or a totally different conversation, because you can’t get through to them.

@timb
    Participant

I understand your stance, mriana. but I feel compelled to confront ignorance.  Just letting it stand, ignored, is giving it too much power, imo.

Someday, some reasonable, normal person may read thru this thread. And when Sree says something so sub par as

What is the point to thinking skills if you are a pauper?

I must reply:  What is the point of having all the wealth in the world, if you can’t think?

_____

I mustn’t let crap like that go un-challenged.

So, reasonable normal person who is reading this in the future, you are welcome.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Well, then… if you are so eager, @timb, then help the medical scientists out with they nutters that Randi Rhodes shows and yes, they do exist. I work with willfully ignorant people spewing the similar crap.

@timb
    Participant

EEK!  Karens unchained!

@sree
    Participant

I like Hagar’s attitude but him putting on concerts isn’t going to help jack s***.   The urge to get back to normal is strong though and it will eventually beat the urge to be cautious.

This pandemic poses a greater danger to our economy than to our bodies. It doesn’t take much to set off social unrest now that millions have lost their jobs and those saddled with student debts to earn college degrees are staring at a non-existent job market. Marching in the streets is a way to vent. People who have nothing, have nothing to lose, and they are not averse to sinking the ship to bring everybody down to level the playing field. Democrats are playing with fire. When it burns, it’s going to be like the French Revolution, and even Nancy Pelosi will be dragged through the streets.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Sree.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Sree.
    @timb
    Participant

… Democrats are playing with fire…

The t rump is the divisive force.  It is on him if things go further south. And with him in charge, things WILL go further south.

I don’t know who may be, as you say, “dragged through the streets”.  I just read a story about a couple of cops who were fired after leaving a mike open when they were discussing how one of them was quite anxious for the “race war” to start, so that they could just start mowing down the N_____s.

@mriana
    Keymaster

@timb

EEK! Karens unchained!

Yeah and I deal with their stupidity at work much of the day- coworkers and customers. Many show their stupidity, much like those in the video. It can be exhausting.

@timb
    Participant

It is amazing to me that otherwise normal looking people that I might pass in the grocery store, without a 2nd thought, could believe such looney tunes ideas.

The 1st one was saying that mandating masks is murder, and that people who do it were going to be subjected to citizens arrest for obeying the “devil’s laws”.

The 3rd said that people who use masks “want to throw God’s wonderful breathing system out the door”.

The 4th was very confidently telling the doctors who recommend wearing masks, to go back to school to get educated.

I suppose these represent the uneducated white women who voted for the t rump in 2016?  Though I just read that some of the uneducated white women are no longer supporting the t rump.  So maybe there is a breaking point where the fostering of false beliefs does not overcome the sheer failures of the DOTUS.

At this point, not accepting and wearing masks in public is as nutty as believing the Earth is flat.

And it has all along been more likely to result in deaths, AND continued economic drag.

@mriana
    Keymaster

People believe that crap. They believe that you’ll suck the CO2 back up and die, as well as other crazy crap. They are truly that stupid. However, I noticed today, more people seem to be wearing masks in public, but we still have far too many not wearing masks. Mostly the dotard supporters in my area refuse to wear a mask, because they are the ones who believe you’ll die if you wear a mask. *rolling eyes* They have it totally backwards.

@timb
    Participant

Finally, today, on June 28th, the Vice President said in Texas that everyone should wear masks in public.

So several months after the highly contagious fast spreading respiratory passed pandemic was found in our country, AFTER ALL OF THIS TIME, WHEN TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE, the VP FINALLY gives the most basic of effective advice in controlling the disease spread.

Still, the DOTUS has not followed suit.  The t rump must want us to get to 130,000 dead by July 4th.

@mriana
    Keymaster

The Repugs have been so stupid about this virus and not listening to the medical scientists and the sad thing is, it maybe too late. I hope it’s not, but it might be. They should have took action in February or January.

As for the murderous dotard… He’s wanting people to get sick and die. Why? I don’t know. https://www.alternet.org/2020/06/trump-campaign-deliberately-made-his-tulsa-rally-as-unsafe-as-possible-for-those-attending/?utm_source&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4874&fbclid=IwAR1XrgSidbny4qm3UydTB8vHrFVsz3JyZ1pShcebzZ0crRSmBWxdVGVRo4E

Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 853 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.