Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Coronavirus

Forums Forums General Discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 1,154 total)
  • Author
    @timb
    Participant

But the cartoon is not really funny because it blatantly reveals his LIE. This LIE of the tRump has promoted up to 192,000 American deaths and counting.

@widdershins
    Participant

All politicians lie.  It’s just the reasons for the lies which differ.  Democrats generally lie to make us believe what they actually believe to be true.  Hillary said that she could relate to being broke because her and Bill almost had to sell one of their multi-million dollar mansions when he left office just so that they could meet the mortgage payments on the other ones, so she knows what it’s like to be an average American struggling to pay their personal chefs and keep the ingredients for Fillet Mignon on hand.  You know, the average American who only owns 3 mansions.  It was dumb as hell.  I hated her for it (but I still voted for her).  And Elizabeth Warren drinking a beer in her little political thing, that was a lie.  Yeah, she drinks beer normally.  But that was so obviously staged as to be laughable.

Republicans lie for a very different reason.  Take the slimmed down coronavirus relief bill which just failed in the Senate.  Mitch McConnell said that he knew that it would fail, he just wanted to get everyone “on record” showing whether they supported relief for the American people or not.  But I looked at the bill.  It starts off with a few revisions to a previous bill.  Pretty standard stuff.  But what is the very next thing?  Several paragraphs explaining how very hard it is to be a corporation in American when people are suing you for endangering their lives just so that you can continue to profit on their work, followed immediately by relief for these poor, tormented corporations making the rights of stupid human beings who may or may not die or suffer lifelong injuries (whiners!) stop interfering with their profits.

McConnell pretends to be trying to negotiate with those unreasonable democrats.  His “negotiations” started out with “This Republican wish-list item to remove the rights of the American people to bolster corporate interests is NON NEGOTIABLE!”  And then when Democrats offered to meet him in the middle (actually it favored Republicans because they went down $1.4 trillion and they asked Republicans to go up $1 trillion, but Democrats presented that as “the middle” because they aren’t petty) his response was, “Okay, we can go DOWN half a trillion!”  There is only ONE provision in that bill to help the people themselves, a $300 additional jobless benefit.  And the reason Republicans added that is easy enough to deduce.  That’s the Amount Trump has already provided, meaning it is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM they could do without being seen as taking something away from the American people.  They didn’t even bother to throw in the other $100 which states have to provide under Trump’s order.  They just met the exact same level the federal government was already offering.

So yeah, Democrats lie to make you believe they’re just like you so that you believe the truth, that they care about you.  Republicans lie to get what they want, to steal elections and to curtail individual rights and liberties which hinder corporate profits.

@timb
    Participant

So yeah, Democrats lie to make you believe they’re just like you so that you believe the truth, that they care about you.

Do you think Dem Candidate, Joe Biden, is lying to that degree?  Is he pretending to be just like you? Do you think he doesn’t care about the people that he acts like he cares about and says he cares about?

Republicans lie to get what they want, to steal elections and to curtail individual rights and liberties which hinder corporate profits.

True.  But you leave out the magnitude, shamelessness, and sheer audacity of many of their LIES.

@timb
    Participant

Today is the 19th anniversary of Sept 11th.  Here is a story about the 1st responders at ground zero who were sickened by the pollution at that site, who have died this year from COVID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBuub4Xe1mw

@mriana
    Keymaster

If you have any question as to whether or not a candidate is telling the truth or a a person in government is being honest, check factcheck.com and Politifact.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Healthy athletes, who get COVID-19, are ending up with heart issues.

COVID-19: Children Infecting Family Members / Myocarditis in Young Athletes / Genetic Contributor to Racial Differences? / Vaccine Trials Resume

Myocarditis in young athletes: Cardiac MRI found evidence of myocarditis in 15% of 26 college athletes after SARS-CoV-2 infection, according to a JAMA Cardiology study. Comprehensive MRI was performed 11–53 days after COVID-19 diagnosis. All four patients with myocarditis were male; two had mild COVID-19 symptoms, while the other two were asymptomatic. An additional 31% of the athletes had late gadolinium enhancement without T2 elevation indicating past myocardial injury. The researchers call for long-term follow-up of such findings but conclude that cardiac MRI “may provide an excellent risk-stratification assessment for myocarditis in athletes who have recovered from COVID-19 to guide safe competitive sports participation.”

https://www.jwatch.org/fw117031/2020/09/13/covid-19-children-infecting-family-members-myocarditis?query=pfw&jwd=000013567470&jspc=

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Mriana.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Mriana.
    @mriana
    Keymaster

Here’s more on healthy athletes getting asymptomatic or mild COVID-19 and ending up with heart issues, which @thatoneguy (or someone couldn’t find the articles a while back). There were some back then and now there is more:

Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Findings in Competitive Athletes Recovering From COVID-19 Infection

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2770645

@sree
    Participant

Here’s more on healthy athletes getting asymptomatic or mild COVID-19 and ending up with heart issues, which @thatoneguy (or someone couldn’t find the articles a while back). There were some back then and now there is more:

Apart from the medical mumbo jumbo, how many athletes examined were put on ventilators or died?

@mriana
    Keymaster

@sree those referred to in the article were either asymptomatic or had mild cases and still developed heart issues from COVID-19. The article did not discuss those who ended up on a ventilator or died, but some have and that is yet another article.

@timb
    Participant

If that stat of 15% of college athletes holds, in generalizing to professional athletes, perhaps, over time, we will note a fall off in the performance of 15% the elite professional athletes who have had COVID.

@widdershins
    Participant

@timb

I didn’t bring up Biden in any of the examples I gave and, if you re-read what I posted, I said that Democrats lie to get you to believe the truth, that they actually care about you.  The lies they generally tell are “I’m just like you” so that you can relate to them so that you will believe that they actually care about you, which, by and large, Democrats do.

That being said, I don’t believe the “Corn Pop” story for one second.  That’s the kind of name a white guy would think a black guy would choose for himself.  And confrontations like the one in that story very rarely go from “I’m going to kick your ass!” to “Now that there are no witnesses to me kicking your ass, I really respect you”.  So yeah, I do believe Biden “plays the game”.

As for what I left out, I didn’t want to do a partisan hack job of it.  I am not a Democrat, but I always vote “Not Republican”.  Both parties have their flaws and you would be naive to think that wasn’t true.  Democrats, for example, think the answer to literally every problem is “Tax it!”  And that’s not an exaggeration.  Think of every problem our society has faced in your lifetime and look at the Democrat response to it.  Tobacco tax is outrageous.  Chicago once looked into taxing bullets to curb shooting violence.  Then there’s the carbon tax.  It’s literally every single time, often hitting the poorest people the hardest.  I’m not arguing that it doesn’t work, but there are other solutions.  Such as just saying, “This is bad, you can’t do it any more.”

That being said, the Republican party is far and away the more flawed of the two.  Conservatism has stopped being a political viewpoint and become a religion which can never, ever be wrong no matter what the facts say.  They don’t care about truth or fair play or even the country.  They’ll burn it all down just to keep their religion, making Republicans the far more dangerous of the two.

@timb
    Participant

That being said, I don’t believe the “Corn Pop” story for one second.  That’s the kind of name a white guy would think a black guy would choose for himself.  And confrontations like the one in that story very rarely go from “I’m going to kick your ass!” to “Now that there are no witnesses to me kicking your ass, I really respect you”.  So yeah, I do believe Biden “plays the game”.

I didn’t know what you were talking about with the “Corn Pop” story.  It seems to me something that has been an easy thing to make fun of?  So I looked it up.  I watched the 15 minute video of Biden’s speech from which the “Corn Pop” story was edited from.   I suppose the edit was successfully used to portray Biden negatively somehow.  This negative propaganda on Biden, was apparently successful, as it seems to have worked on you.

Since you have decided from what you have seen previously that Biden was just making things up to get approval from an audience. And since you have passed on that view, I think you owe it to Joe to watch the full 14 min 45 sec of the speech to the people at the pool where he was the only white lifeguard at a segregated black public swimming pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oihV9yrZRHg

Biden seemed absolutely believable to me as an old guy reminiscing about younger days.  Biden is honest to a fault.  Sometimes he has to apologize for having blurted out the truth.

Case in point. In a not too long ago interview with Charlemagne the God, as the interview was ending, Joe good-naturedly blurted out “If you’re not voting for me, you’re not black!”  He was being overly familiar and racially insensitive, but the basic quip was based on truth.

So I reject your example of Biden being dishonest in the the political “game”. I believe the so called “Corn Pop” story as Joe related it from his memory in the 14 min 55 sec video.

I believe that he really cares about the people he was speaking to.

I recognize your point that Dems are imperfect in many ways.  At least you recognize that the RepugLIARs are” the far more dangerous of the two.”  So at least you are not engaging in blatant “false equivalencies”.

But Biden is the Dem Candidate now. He is our hope. Literally. If he does not win the Presidency, WE ARE SCREWED.

@widdershins
    Participant

I didn’t know what you were talking about with the “Corn Pop” story.  It seems to me something that has been an easy thing to make fun of?  So I looked it up.  I watched the 15 minute video of Biden’s speech from which the “Corn Pop” story was edited from.   I suppose the edit was successfully used to portray Biden negatively somehow.  This negative propaganda on Biden, was apparently successful, as it seems to have worked on you.

Don’t do that.  “Democrat” is not your religion, it’s your political ideology.  I did not insult your mother or say your god rapes goats.  It is absolute fact that Biden is a rambling gaffe machine.  That’s not “propaganda”, it’s Joe Biden.  Don’t pretend that I fell for some propaganda for acknowledging that.

Biden seemed absolutely believable to me as an old guy reminiscing about younger days. Biden is honest to a fault. Sometimes he has to apologize for having blurted out the truth.

I can agree with that assessment generally, but nobody is one thing.  “Truth teller” is not an all-inclusive description of Biden.  And, in fact, it was Biden’s propensity to tell the truth that ultimately led me to the realization that we demand that politicians lie to us.  I have probably mentioned this story here because I tell it all the time, but when asked during some threat at the time if he would want his family riding the train, he made his biggest gaffe at the time when he gave an honest answer.  He told the truth and said, “No”.  His penance was to lie to us for about a week straight by taking public transportation to “show that he thought it was safe”.  But he didn’t think that it was safe.  ALL politicians lie.  It comes with the job.  If they tell the truth today they spend next week lying to fix the mess they caused.  That is just the nature of our politics, unfortunately.  If you think Biden is somehow immune from the way American politics works, allowing him to always tell the truth and still have the career he had then it’s you who has fallen for propaganda.  NOBODY is perfect and I’m not going to pretend he is just because I want him to win.

I value truth, always, at all times.  If I had to choose a political party it would be Democrat without hesitation.  The thing I pointed out about Democrats being tax happy, that’s not a platform thing, it’s just how Democrats tend to think.  I am not like most of America.  I don’t want you to tell me pretty lies to make me feel safe.  I want the truth, always.  So I will find fault in every politician because that’s not how our political system works, thanks in large part to the media always trying to turn the mundane into the sensational.  I imagine that, as a politician, sitting down with a journalist for an interview is a lot like a job interview.  You know the journalist is going to ask you stupid questions about nothing to which you are supposed to give a canned response that sounds good.  And you know that if you answer them honestly you’re going to be all over the news the next day in some big nothing of a “scandal”, just like Biden was when he said he didn’t want his family riding the train.

And to that end I make sure that I recognize the good and bad in BOTH SIDES.  Republicans have done some good things.  The problem is, I’m hard pressed to think of one on the spot while I can probably name dozens of good things Democrats have done off the top of my head.  In no way are the parties “equal” in their lies.  In no way are Biden’s lies ANYTHING like Trump’s.  In no way is the severity even remotely close.

I can see where you got defensive there as I opened with “all politicians lie” in the one post, which is generally, as you said, used in a false equivalency.  But I didn’t say it to justify the wrongdoing in one by pointing out a much lesser wrongdoing in another.  I said it because it’s the truth.  I always vote “NOT Republican”, even when I vote third party (don’t get me started with the “throwing your vote away” nonsense).  When it matters urgently, like it does now and like it did last time, I vote Democrat.  But when it’s not urgent I may vote for someone else, but NEVER, EVER the Republican.

@thatoneguy
    Participant

Here’s more on healthy athletes getting asymptomatic or mild COVID-19 and ending up with heart issues, which @thatoneguy (or someone couldn’t find the articles a while back). There were some back then and now there is more:

Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Findings in Competitive Athletes Recovering From COVID-19 Infection

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2770645

Myocarditis is inflamed heart muscle. It’s fairly common with viral infections and usually disappears quickly — although it can be fatal.  It isn’t a long term complication nor is it guaranteed to damage the heart.   Most people have probably had it before.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by thatoneguy.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by thatoneguy.
    @timb
    Participant

Don’t do that.  “Democrat” is not your religion, it’s your political ideology.  I did not insult your mother or say your god rapes goats.  It is absolute fact that Biden is a rambling gaffe machine.  That’s not “propaganda”, it’s Joe Biden.  Don’t pretend that I fell for some propaganda for acknowledging that.

“Democrat” is not my religion. That’s correct.  Joe Biden has a reputation as a gaffe machine. That’s correct. (Although he would have surely lost that title to the tRump, just about everyday for the last few years.)  But you implied that he was a LIAR, and you called all Dems LIARS, at a time when it is as clear as the clearest of days that the RepugLIARS are the party of profound LIES.  They are the party of dedicated propagandist LIARS, including the QANON LIE-believing FOOLS, Nazis, Corrupt white collar criminals, and the LIE-believing poorly educated.

I say that you are also correct about politicians being “forced” to lie, as a general rule.

You are guilty, in my book of this dastardly foible: a (hopefully passing) flirttion with that staple of propagandists, which is to imply FALSE EQUIVALENCIES.  It looks like you cleaned it up, with your last post, you politician, you.

Perhaps I am more sensitive than most about the pernicious practice of false equivalencies.

But you have proven your precept, that NO ONE is Perfect.  Because you rarely make such mistakes, but then you did.

I 1st voted for Nixon.  If my politics were a religion, I would be condemned to hell for just that.  I only became a hard anti Repub Democrat AFTER Cheney/W’s “Shock and Awe” into Iraq, became an almost immediate disaster, and then became a greater disaster everyday for years.

One party is ever leading us to decline.  I don’t want them to continue to succeed at that. Joe Biden is no miracle man.  He is a good man, who can be an effective leader.  And his instinct will NOT be to LIE to us.  He was understudy to the job for 8 years, and this is a time when such experience may be critical.  (And of course he is a politician.  But even as such, I suggest he is the least of our worries as far as getting LIED to by our leaders goes.)

If he loses because some interpreted statements calling him a LIAR just like RepugLIARS, then our country is truly screwed.

You won’t have to worry about LIES anymore if the Supreme LIAR retains power.  Truth will be so diminished as to be inconsequential.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,036 through 1,050 (of 1,154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.