Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Coronavirus

Forums Forums General Discussion Coronavirus

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 1,154 total)
  • Author
    @mriana
    Keymaster

@thatoneguy

Myocarditis is inflamed heart muscle. It’s fairly common with viral infections and usually disappears quickly — although it can be fatal. It isn’t a long term complication nor is it guaranteed to damage the heart. Most people have probably had it before.

You don’t know that for sure. Doctors even admit they don’t know that. I wouldn’t be too confident concerning this virus.

@sree
    Participant

You don’t know that for sure. Doctors even admit they don’t know that. I wouldn’t be too confident concerning this virus.

@thatoneguy
    didn’t say anything contradicting the doctors’ findings in your link. What’s the matter with you?

@thatoneguy
    Participant
    @mriana
    Keymaster

@sree

What’s the matter with you?

Nothing. He doesn’t know that nor does he know that the virus doesn’t leave permanent damage to the heart and doctors have said they don’t know that it doesn’t at this time.

@widdershins
    Participant

Just to conclude the earlier discussion, my mother lived for 6 days after her quarantine ended.  She wasn’t killed by the virus directly, but she never recovered from the complications and continued to decline.  I don’t know if that counts as a “coronavirus death” or not.  I would be inclined to count it as fighting the virus caused a marked and rapid decline in her health.  She wasn’t on a ventilator or anything (though that was an option she declined).  It wasn’t a dramatic, easy to point to example of the virus directly killing her.  But less than a month ago she was cheerful and chatty, breathing just fine.  After symptoms started to appear every day was decline she did not recover from.  Unless the timing is incredibly coincidental she died from complications of coronavirus.  So I would say that I was right after all.

So you know, I’m not horribly broken up about it.  I’m relieved she isn’t suffering any more.  It was time.

@timb
    Participant

Thank you so  much Widdershins for sharing your story of your mom’s passing with COVID.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Thanks for letting us know Widdershins. I didn’t know her, but I know you, so I assume she was a pretty awesome.

@mriana
    Keymaster

I’m so sorry for you loss. Thanks for letting us know.

@timb
    Participant

There is a treatment that may be in trials early next year that might prevent or cure COVID.

It is called AB8.  So far it has only helped mice. But it’s backers are very optimistic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/researchers-made-a-breakthrough-drug-that-can-completely-neutralize-the-coronavirus/ar-BB19cZQW?ocid=msedgntp

I am pessimistic about the coming vaccines.  I don’t like the possible requirement of TWO vaccinations in order for a vaccine to work.  I don’t like the requirement to have the vaccine super-refrigerated in order to remain viable.  I don’t like the possibility that a vaccine that is only 50% or 60% effective, may be approved.

Our current administration has shown its incompetency over and over.  Why would they now become competent in rolling out a vaccine for hundreds of millions of people?

And since half of the country refuses to wear masks, COVID will continue to spread.  So maybe we will have to rely on the development of curatives, like AB8 to save us, next year.

We must beat the virus to get our economy fully rolling again.  Still the virus has STRONG allies, like the tRump and all his RepugLIARS and mask refusers. Science can only do so much.

@believer
    Blocked

The Covid-19 pandemic has become a biopolitical football. It’s no longer about objective science. If it were, then there wouldn’t be so much fear mongering over a disease with symptoms so mild that up to 40% of the people who get it, don’t even know they have it, while the majority of the rest have minor symptoms that are gone in 14 days, leaving only a few in high-risk situations vulnerable to mortality, and even most of them survive. Mark my words, I’ve been saying for months that the management of this pandemic will over time cause more deaths and hardship than the virus itself, not to mention seriously compromise our quality of life with the enforced germaphobia. Depending on where you are, if you now don’t behave like a germaphobe in public, you can be seriously fined.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Phenomena.
    @mriana
    Keymaster

@believer COVID-19 is NOT a mild illness. My brother-in-law was in the hospital with it for at least a month and my older son told me tonight he lost one of his friends to COVID-19. A member of this forum lost his mother… the list goes on and on. This is not an illness to take lightly. People die from it. This illness cause blood clots, kidney damage, heart damage, lung damage, strokes, and more. If the person survives, they are left with lifelong disabilities. You canNOT take this pandemic lightly. It’s serious stuff and that is NOT fear mongering. It’s the truth.

@believer
    Blocked

@mrina I’m looking behind the headlines to the facts about COVID-19 on a wider scale, not individual cases where people are having problems. If I only looked at cases where people are seriously affected, and not beyond that, I would probably be of the same opinion you are. You don’t have to trust me. That must be earned, so here is the first evidence to backup my analysis, directly from the CDC: https://www.sciencealert.com/40-of-people-with-covid-19-don-t-have-symptoms-latest-cdc-estimate-says

COVID-19 causes serious problems for a very small percentage of those infected. This doesn’t minimize their importance or their suffering, but millions more are suffering and dying of management related strategies. My intent here is not to trade lives for the economy, but to save more lives by doing what is right for everyone including those who are at high-risk or struggling to beat the disease.

@mriana
    Keymaster

@believer

I’m looking behind the headlines to the facts about COVID-19 on a wider scale, not individual cases where people are having problems.

No you are not. You have even done any reading on the JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) or NEJM (New England Journal of Medicine) websites or any other like websites. They all allow free access to COVID-19 research articles and they are all scientifically based. The CDC is not currently being run by scientists. It is being ran by a stupid fool who denies science and that stupid fool who doesn’t know squat about science is the dotard. Because of that, the CDC isn’t posting reliable info currently. Science Alert doesn’t seem much better because of that.

@believer
    Blocked

I’ve been spending about an hour or more a day digging into the stories behind the stories. If you find evidence that contradicts the CDC estimate, I would be glad to have a look at it, however the argument that the CDC is estimate was arrived at by fools who deny science is not valid counterpoint. At this point it looks more like an emotional response based on political like or dislikes. If you don’t like the CDC then:

“Neil Ferguson, who leads Imperial College London’s Covid-19 modelling team, said the UK lacks full data on the number of infections but that ‘maybe a third, maybe 40 percent of people’ do not show symptoms.” I’ve cross referenced this estimate across several sources, but by all means feel free to add other data that you believe is accurate that disputes these estimates. I will change my views when presented with enough reasonable evidence.

Here’s more:

The data from South Korea, where tracking the coronavirus has been by far the best to date, indicate that as much as 99 percent of active cases in the general population are “mild” and do not require specific medical treatment:

Full Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html

@believer
    Blocked

Here’s more:

“The data from South Korea, where tracking the coronavirus has been by far the best to date, indicate that as much as 99 percent of active cases in the general population are “mild” and do not require specific medical treatment.”

Full Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/opinion/coronavirus-pandemic-social-distancing.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 1,154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.