Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Does Man need for religion?

Forums Forums Religion and Secularism Does Man need for religion?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Citizenschallenge-v.3 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Man cannot, under any circumstances, live without religion.

Just as man is social by nature and cannot live alone and be isolated from society, he is also innately devout and cannot live properly without religion. Religiousness is a natural instinct in man.

The clearest proof of this is that man flees to Allah Almighty when facing difficulties and hard times. Allah says: }And when they embark on a ship, they invoke Allâh, making their Faith pure for Him only, but when He brings them safely to land, behold, they give a share of their worship to others{<small>(Al-’Ankabût: 65)</small>

Man has two powers: the power of knowledge, and that of will; and the more effort he exerts to achieve them, the closer he becomes to reaching the goal he desires. Such is the case with happiness. As for the first, i.e. the strength of knowledge; the highness of his degree of servitude to Allah, as well as the degree of his status, his happiness in this world, not to mention the Afterlife, all depend on the extent he knows Allah, His names and attributes, what he should and should not do, and his behavior and the personal code of ethics he adopts. This is also affected by whether he takes the path of those who are close to Allah and the lofty path of those who tread the route that leads to Allah, and if he possesses knowledge of the human soul with its diseases and impurities, and knows how to overcome them, its enemies and all that comes between it and its Lord. One needs to know how to lift the soul high and purify it with godly ethics in a manner that elevates it to the level of exalted souls, makes it attain a firmness of purpose and keeps it away from nonsensical materialistic issues and the filth of desires and suspicions. The more one does this the higher ones level of worship and ones place (with Allah) will be, even the level of his happiness in this life, and of course his final position in the Afterlife, will be higher.

Moreover, this power of knowledge is the benefactor and the provider of willpower, surrounding him with guidance, as well as making him steadfastness and righteousness. Allah says: }O you who believe! Answer Allâh (by obeying Him) and (His) Messenger when he (pbuh) calls you to that which will give you life.{<small>(Al-Anfâl:24)</small>

source: https://www.path-2-happiness.com/en/the-path-to-happiness-does-man-need-religion-man’s-need-for-religion

Lausten
    Participant

If you have a question, I could engage with that. This is a statement. It’s a circular argument too.

Advocatus
    Participant

Man cannot, under any circumstances, live without religion.
    Just as man is social by nature and cannot live alone and be isolated from society, he is also innately devout and cannot live properly without religion. Religiousness is a natural instinct in man.
    The clearest proof of this is that man flees to Allah Almighty when facing difficulties and hard times.

Well I don’t flee to Allah when I have difficulties.  I used to pray when I was a lot younger, but then I noticed that Allah was not helping me any.  Prayer is nothing but a means of focusing your mind on what’s bothering you.  If it helps you to do this, wonderful.  But not all of us need to do this.

Lausten
    Participant

Bart Campolo talks about prayer in latest podcast (he’s a humanist chaplain). He fumbles around a bit but lands on this idea that you can’t do everything, so sometimes you just meditate on it. You may not accomplish anything in the moment, but it keeps it front and center, so if you do see something you can do, you will. They bring up a Jewish proverb:

“You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to desist from it.”

This is a discussion item, not a command. For me, it includes the right to change the nature of the work. This is not about building a Temple, or working in a factory, it’s about the work of human progress. There is no blueprint. It requires the input of everyone.

LoisL
    Participant

A lot depends on how you define religion.

Humanism can be defined as a religion.

Man has no need for theistic religion.

LoisL
    Participant

You have made the assumption that god exists and must be worshipped. That does not answer the question as to whether man needs religion.

I hadn’t read “islamkingdom_english” before and truth be told, it reminded me of an old joke –

“A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle!”

———————————————————————–

Although seriously, here again, “religion” must be defined, if the author wants to be taken seriously.

Man needs a set of beliefs to live by, okay – but does that mean only an ‘organized religion’ will do?  I don’t think so, hell I authored a little “religion” of my own, but I appreciate it’s my story and not “God’s” – too bad other religious authors don’t have that sort of humility, that is knowing we are not the center of the universe, even if it might feel that way.

Oh boy a walk with the dog leaves one with too much time to think.

This guy’s moniker “islam…” was running through my mind.  While I don’t subscribe to America’s passionate hatred for Islam, I am appalled by the religion’s practices: “honor” killing of your own sisters???  F you all.

Then I think of the endless hours on their rugs, praying to god, as though the god that made this universe would demand such a thing.  The “Thing” being endless worship and adulation, as if god couldn’t see through our facades.  It got me to thinking the Islamic God seems like a spitting image of Trump – demanding total adulation, even if he can’t get through the day without lying, while physical facts mean nothing, or that he’s a vehicle of hatred and misunderstanding between people, the ME FIRST mental, full blown.  Oblivious to all outside his immediate desires and grasp.

If a real God be out there, one should bet that it cares about substance, rather than repetitive cheap words and daydreaming, seems to me any real god would be utterly appalled at our various self-glorifying religions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.