Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Enlightenment Now

Forums Forums Humanism Enlightenment Now

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Write4U 15 hours, 41 minutes ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

thatoneguy
    Participant

Pinker deserves praise for his outstanding book  “The Blank Slate”.  I remember reading it more than a decade ago and how it flicked a switch in my mind and made me want to know more about everything he discussed in there.

His next book “Better Angels” was said to be a disappointment by some interesting reviewers so I didn’t read that, and this new book sounds kind of like a companion to it. Good for him, but I can’t get too excited.

It’s crazy — but unsurprising — how much backlash from leftists he’s getting over “Enlightenment Now”.  Ironically, he talked about that very thing in “The Blank Slate”.

As for the idea that we live in the best possible world, that is pretty far fetched for most people but for a guy like Pinker it probably is the best possible world.  A childless, atomized, boomer academic like himself is almost unbelievably fortunate, and is more or less on top of the world.

It won’t last much longer, though. It probably won’t even be remembered 100 years from now.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  thatoneguy.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  thatoneguy.

TimB
    Participant

Seems like Blank Slate was one that had an interesting look at some group of deaf kids/people who appeared to have (for the most part, at least) independently developed their own new language (using signing).  I think he made the assertion thus that the propensity for humans to develop language is biologically inherent.  He also admits that the particular language that develops is pretty much 100% a matter of the environment  in which the human develops early on.  Further, I believe he asserts that all human behaviors are a product of inherent and/or environmentally learned factors.  Some behaviors are almost all inherently based and some or almost all learned or some combination.

If I am remembering correctly, that is. I think I am.

Write4U
    Participant

If I am remembering correctly, that is. I think I am.

That’s a big “LIKE”

• This reply was modified 15 hours, 40 minutes ago by  Write4U.
    • This reply was modified 15 hours, 40 minutes ago by  Write4U.
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.