Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Freedom from craving?

Forums Forums General Discussion Freedom from craving?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Xain 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Xain
    Participant

https://tricycle.org/magazine/end-suffering/

To me it just sounds like a great exaggeration of  life. I mean plenty of people lead long and full lives without giving up craving so I don’t see their shortcoming part. I know I want things and sometimes I get it and sometimes I don’t, but if I wanted nothing then I wouldn’t do anything. Not to mention that I don’t think anything is unconditioned (even if they think so) except maybe the beginning of the universe

Player
    Participant

Whats a full life?

Xain
    Participant

You are missing the point, it’s more like saying wanting things and liking things is bad because it makes you a prisoner.

Player
    Participant

Excuse me. What is a full life??

I’m hungry, lets eat.

Xain
    Participant

Like I said you are missing the point being made, did you even read the link?

Player
    Participant

Xain, one thing you should have been taught in school is to read what you have written before you finalise

You said

“. I mean plenty of people lead long and full lives without giving up craving ”

So i am challenging you to expand on this and explain what you mean by full life

Xain
    Participant

I guess what people would deem to be satisfactory.

Player
    Participant

satisfactory in terms of…….???????????

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Player.

Xain
    Participant

I don’t know, but this has nothing to do with the article or the point being made.

Player
    Participant

So you say you dont know what you are talking about.

Good on you for being honest

Xain
    Participant

I do know what I’m saying but no one is addressing it. You guys just keep asking irrelevant questions.

As she is saying, where do the thoughts come from? What about our desires? Can we truly say they are us if we don’t have control over them? What about our thoughts?

Player
    Participant

Youre the one that said you dont know in trying to justify an assertion you made with regards to full lifes and cravings.

Xain
    Participant

I just said I did and I posted a link in regards to it, it’s not my fault if people aren’t engaging the topic or that they can’t.

Lausten
    Participant

I tried to read the whole thing but it became just a string of words pretty quick. It assumes we know what is meant by “conditioned mind” and tries to say you can get to the unconditioned mind, but then warns you other mind things will make you think you are there, but you’re really not. This was supposed to be some important revelation:

“If there is a point or a center of the knower anywhere, that is an agent of birth.” That’s what it said.

but it’s not. I can’t find anything meaningful or even coherent in that. What is this website? How do they decide who gets published on it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.