Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

How do you define atheism for your purposes?

Forums Forums Humanism How do you define atheism for your purposes?

Viewing 14 posts - 211 through 224 (of 224 total)
  • Author
    3point14rat
    Participant

Write4U:  “IMO, theists really don’t understand each others position.”

I kinda agree.

I think they understand perfectly well how other theists arrive at their respective positions, they only have a problem with positions that are different than theirs.

George Carlin explained it perfectly:

• 1- “You believe in God?”
    • 2- “Yes.”
    • 1- “You believe in my god?”
    • 2- “No.”
    • 1- [BANG!]
    • 2- [Dead.]
    Write4U
    Participant

One of the Ten Commands of God; “Thou shalt not kill”….!

Except when the killing is in the name of God, then the Command becomes a negotiable proposition.

Write4U
    Participant

Player said;

Complete this sentence .  The bible is evidence of …………….

The bible and all other holy books are evidence of “belief” not of fact.

This is very eloquently explained by Lewis Black from a Jewish perspective.

(warning crude language)

and the second chapter in religious history

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Write4U.
    3point14rat
    Participant

Write4U:  “One of the Ten Commands of God; “Thou shalt not kill”….!

Except when the killing is in the name of God, then the Command becomes a negotiable proposition.”

I’ve heard from my religious friends that the laws in the Bible are for us, not God. So if he tells you to kill a race of people, that’s okay because it is God, not you making the decision.

There’s also the “eye for an eye” loop-hole that means you can kill if it is in response to something they did.

There isn’t much you can do that is 100% condemned in the Bible- there’s always some verse somewhere that will condones your crime.

Write4U
    Participant

How convenient…..:-)

Who interprets what God is telling us and what his wishes are?  And in what language does he speak?  Is a kind of interpreter required?

TimB
    Participant

Any bozo that can speak or write can claim they are interpreting and imparting “God’s word”.

TimB
    Participant

And God appeared unto me.  And his raiment and power were great beyond gazing upon.  And he saideth (yes “saideth”, not just “said”) unto me, “Those who sayeth they speak in my name are bozos”.

Write4U
    Participant

I always find it interesting that religion will rush in where science fears to tread.  Fortunately that domain is constantly being explored by science, where religion constantly maintains it as a wasteland.

Dave
    Participant

All theists must know and admit that there are many different gods from all sorts of religions.  Those others are indeed rejecting one (or many) god for a different one…one with revelations that better suit their situation.  So theist are very able to imagine that people from other religions do not believe in their particular god.  They must therefore comprehend that an atheist just has no belief in any god.   They comprehend this but feel they must defend their position so some of them take it as a fight and think atheists “reject” their god.  We should explain to them that we just do not believe in any god, which is not unlike the other religions that do not believe in the same god.   We should stick to the logic that there is no true, scientific evidence of god (whatever the heck one imagines the word to mean).

Always comes down to meaning, doesn’t it.

I’m fine with an unknowable “God” embedded within the universe and its evolution.

I’m even fine with the creations of “God” people put together and choose to believe in.

Where I draw the line is when anyone becomes self-certain that their God is the only ‘true’ god or even more ludicrously the one and only key to some after-death salvation.

When a person’s relationship with god becomes tangibly personal, that’s a good sign the EGO has taken over.

imho     😉

TimB
    Participant

CC: said “imho”

TimB:  You have some humble opinions? eh?  I should get some of those.  Mine tend to be more toward the arrogant end of the spectrum. And this despite that I really believe that Humbleness is a virtue.

It’s what makes you so lovable.

Mriana
    Keymaster

I’m kind of late to the party concerning this thread, but for me, atheism is a lack of belief in any deity. Sure, people can define a deity any way they want to define it, but in the end, if it’s not real to that person or they just can’t believe in it, then they are atheists, at least concerning said deity or all deities.

Widdershins
    Participant

I always find it interesting that religion will rush in where science fears to tread. Fortunately that domain is constantly being explored by science, where religion constantly maintains it as a wasteland.

That partly comes from a belief that you have to have an answer for everything because if you can’t answer any question then literally any other answer can be claimed to be “the” answer.  It has to do with the way they think and approach their beliefs.  The reason they ask you, “Where are the transitional fossils?” is not because they really want to know, it’s because, in their minds, if you can’t name them all, that means you’re wrong and they’re right.

And if you’re aware of this mindset it can be a bit of fun to “play with”.  Ask them a question which doesn’t sound like you’re definitely screwing with them, but for which you know they have no answer.  Something that there’s no Bible quote for and that they aren’t likely to have heard before.  If they have no reference you can see the internal struggle on their faces as they work to make something up on the spot just so that they are able to give you an answer so that they aren’t automatically wrong.

All theists must know and admit that there are many different gods from all sorts of religions. Those others are indeed rejecting one (or many) god for a different one…one with revelations that better suit their situation. So theist are very able to imagine that people from other religions do not believe in their particular god. They must therefore comprehend that an atheist just has no belief in any god. They comprehend this but feel they must defend their position so some of them take it as a fight and think atheists “reject” their god. We should explain to them that we just do not believe in any god, which is not unlike the other religions that do not believe in the same god. We should stick to the logic that there is no true, scientific evidence of god (whatever the heck one imagines the word to mean).

That is actually a very interesting subject.  First, no, theists neither admit nor know that their religion is just like all others (generally speaking.  Not all theists can be lumped into this group).  Jehovah’s Witnesses, for example, not only believe that theirs is the only god which has ever existed, they also believe that other Christian sects, who also worship the god of Abraham, father of the Christ, are worshiping a different, false god who doesn’t really exist.  It’s the exact same Bible, just translated differently, but they believe that all those other Christians out there are not worshiping the same god as them.  At least, the one I talk to regularly does, and he tends to stick to his brainwashing pretty “religiously”.

It’s also very common for them to be physically incapable of comprehending that an atheist simply doesn’t believe in God.  This is especially true for those who’ve had a religious upbringing and have retained their religiosity into adulthood.  I had a coworker once tell me that if he thought there was no God then he wouldn’t work for a living, he’d just go around killing people and taking what he wanted.  This guy was one of the nicest guys you’d ever care to meet.  There’s no way in hell he wouldn’t have empathy for his fellow human beings just because he stopped believing in God.  But he truly believed that he would.  It took me a while, but I finally figured out why.  When he sat down and tried to imagine what it must be like to be me, but WITH the knowledge that God certainly exists and Hell was being separated from God, the absolute best he could muster is imagining being “without God”, who he saw as being the source of all joy and good in his life.  So, of course, all that joy and good would be gone and he would be a PoS, in his head.  He was literally incapable of imagining not believing in God.

As for sticking to the logic, one of my favorite atheist quotes is “You can’t reason someone out of a position they didn’t reason themselves into.”  In other words, if their beliefs aren’t based on, don’t rely on and sometimes are at odds with facts then facts aren’t going to convince them that their beliefs are wrong.  Usually the BEST you can hope for is a civil discourse where nobody gets angry or quotes the first half of Psalms 14:1 at the other one.

Viewing 14 posts - 211 through 224 (of 224 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.