Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

How do you define atheism for your purposes?

Forums Forums Humanism How do you define atheism for your purposes?

This topic contains 161 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Lausten 19 hours, 21 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 162 total)
  • Author

Player
    Participant
    • I asked if possible.

LoisL
    Participant

The question is, “What do you mean by “real”.

Player
    Participant

Of the natural world.

LoisL
    Participant

Then Spiderman cannot be real.  And Jesus as god or anything supernatural cannot be real. Jesus could have been real as a man, but only as a man. We don’t have much evidence that the Jesus of the bible never existed, even as a man. His persona could have been made up out of whole cloth or it could have been based on an actual person or several persons. But as soon as you get into the supernatural realm, he ceases to be of the natural world.

Patrick D
    Participant

“We don’t have much evidence that the Jesus of the bible never existed, ”

Sorry to be a noodge. I think you may be conflating ‘evidence’  and ‘proof’.  They are not the same thing; Evidence is anything used in support of an argument. There is a vast amount of evidence for the existence of Jesus.  What all this evidence does not provide is proof.

I blame Carl Sagan, who said “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.” This statement is incorrect. Absence of evidence is in fact  evidence of absence, but it is not proof..

The difference is subtle but definite.

Player
    Participant

Evidence is the bible says so. How do you know the bible is true? Because the bible says its true.

Thats what you call evidence??

Player
    Participant

“Then Spiderman cannot be real.  And Jesus as god or anything supernatural cannot be real.”

So spiderman cannot possibly be real but Thor can be?

Thanks for the logic 101 lesson LoisL

Patrick D
    Participant

“Evidence is the bible says so. How do you know the bible is true? Because the bible says its true.”

Just so. Non believers  reject all sacred texts as  a source of truth.. Believers accept on faith;   ‘a  belief in things unseen”. There is no proof for any religious belief of which I’m aware.

“Evidence” is ANYTHING provided in support of a claim. It is NOT a synonym for ‘proof’

Hence, the Torah, New Testament, The Q’uran, Hadith, stacks of historical accounts (after the fact) and personal anecdotes are ALL ‘evidence’.  For say the existence  of God, the ,the life and teachings of Jesus, or Muhammed.  What they are not, is proof.

Perhaps look at how evidence works in law;  much of the evidence provided, is inadmissible. Eyewitness accounts are   generally seen as unreliable; evidence, but not proof. Can yo see the difference? Or have I been unclear?

Player
    Participant

Is the bible evidence?

TimB
    Participant

Player, if you could read AND comprehend what you read, you would know his answer to that.  Just read his last post over and over and over, until maybe it will click for you.

Patrick D
    Participant

“Player, if you could read AND comprehend what you read, you would know his answer to that.  Just read his last post over and over and over, until maybe it will click for you.”

Thanks Tim; do you think it’s just that he doesn’t read posts, or do you think he might be a bit dim? I’m beginning to think that although perfectly capable of comprehension and rational responses, he gets a kick out of trolling .It’s very tedious.

TimB
    Participant

Idk.  Every once in a while he makes a modicum of sense.  It is tedious.

Player
    Participant

I cant believe how dumb you both are. If i write a book and it says i am god and can perform miracles you say thats evidence.

Wow!

Patrick D
    Participant

“I cant believe how dumb you both are. If i write a book and it says i am god and can perform miracles you say thats evidence.”

I’ve explained, twice about the difference between ‘evidence’ and ‘proof”.

Because  of your ability to make sense when you want to, I’m simply unable to believe you are really as stupid and bloody minded as your last two posts  show.

I can only conclude that you really are an obnoxious little troll. I’m done with you.

Player
    Participant

How can the source making the claim be used as evidence for that claim? You didnt explain. What is written in the bible are truth claims, evidence of which should be supported by contemperaneous sources. There are none.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.