Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

How might cannabinoids be useful as medicine?

Forums Forums Alternative Medicine How might cannabinoids be useful as medicine?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    @widdershins
    Participant

I can tell from the title alone that article is making illegal claims as, without FDC approval, it cannot be claimed that anything can treat any illness.

@timb
    Participant

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-drug-comprised-active-ingredient-derived-marijuana-treat-rare-severe-forms

That medicine, Epidiolex, was approved in 2018.

Then there is Marinol (aka Dronabinol).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dronabinol

In 1999, Marinol was rescheduled from Schedule II to III of the Controlled Substances Act, reflecting a finding that THC had a potential for abuse less than that of cocaine and heroin. This rescheduling constituted part of the argument for a 2002 petition for removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, in which petitioner Jon Gettman noted, “Cannabis is a natural source of dronabinol (THC), the ingredient of Marinol, a Schedule III drug.”

At its 33rd meeting, in 2003, the World Health Organization Expert Committee on Drug Dependence recommended transferring THC to Schedule IV of the Convention, citing its medical uses and low abuse potential.

@widdershins
    Participant

I would point out that those things are not “marijuana”.  The link I took exception to was making medical claims about “marijuana”.  I take no issue with making medical claims about “medicines”.

@timb
    Participant

The cannabinoids CBD and THC are components of marijuana.  If you get a strain of marijuana that is high in CBD it is going to have very similar effects to Epidiolex.  And a strain high in THC would have effects similar to Marinol.

@widdershins
    Participant

And again, I would point out that “components of marijuana” are not “marijuana”.  I doubt smoking your blood pressure medication would have the same affect as taking the pill.  I’m not anti-pot or anything (although I’m starting to go that way with all the “pot is medicine” crap I’m seeing lately), but “marijuana” contains a whole lot more than “CBD” and “THC”, so “marijuana” IS NOT the same as “CBD OR THC”, it’s “CBD AND THC AND some other stuff”.

I’m not in any way saying that marijuana definitely can’t treat anything.  I’m just against ALL “alternative medicine” claims, even ones we really, really want to be true.  When you can get it from a pharmacy with the word “medicine” on the label, and NOT just because California recognizes “lack of chill” as a “medical condition”, that’s when it becomes “medicine”.  Until then it’s just pot.

@timb
    Participant

I’m not in any way saying that marijuana definitely can’t treat anything.  I’m just against ALL “alternative medicine” claims, even ones we really, really want to be true.

As I think you should be.

There is a rub, however.  You simultaneously seem to be pronouncing that medicines declared by the FDA to be legal when prescribed, are perfectly acceptable. Marijuana, or pot, or cannabis, whatever you want to call it, has been stymied for the most part in being studied with rigorous research on it’s possible medical effects. Because, it has been stubbornly, and for many many decades been classified as a Schedule 1 Narcotic, preventing a lot of research that would have otherwise happened.

And the other rub is that many people die from the use of prescription medicines, sometimes even when used according to prescription.  People rarely, if ever, die from use of pot.

So the solution is to re-schedule Marijuana.

Vote Harris/Biden 2020.

@timb
    Participant

This topic is so close to my heart, I could go on and on about it. There’s just so much to talk about how marijuana can be used as medicine be it for anxiety, pain, PTSD, or whatnot. Only recently, I was talking to this lady who refused chemotherapy for her brain cancer and used cannabis oil after her surgery. She was soon cancer-free. It’s unfortunate that there has been a lack of proper research into its benefits in entirety. I’ll just leave you this article, this may give all the readers a better idea in a wider horizon https://mmjdoctors.com/7-surprising-ways-that-marijuana-can-treat-your-illness/

@lausten
    Keymaster

@melaniataylor; Yeah, um, marijuana doesn’t cure cancer. Cancer research has been going on for a long, long time. Someone would have tried that by now.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.