Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

I am an AMH humanist

Forums Forums Humanism I am an AMH humanist

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    @halster
    Participant

I know the human species has evolved over an unamaginal period of time like other species on Earth. I also know Genesis style stories existed much before Judaism.

I also know many of us are naturally primitive in our belief system and will have to take our religious positions and embedded religious instructions to the grave.  Paving the path into the future.

Hal, I looked up nones, and admit I wasn’t familiar with them.  Having read a little about it, it holds no fascination for me, religion is philosophy – fine and dandy in it’s own right – but if one’s reasoning is based on a respect for Physical Reality over the stories we create for ourselves, then I believe the only way to go is Earth Centrism, since it is Earth what created us and whom we will dissolve back into.  It is also Earth that provides our touchstone with physical reality and the universe.

The story telling is fine (in fact required) for our insecure death-fearing souls to flourish, but it ought still get recognized for its limitations.

Seems to me one can’t get closer to fundamental reality than that.

That notion (Earth Centrism) gets dismissed a lot, but you know, no one has explained their critique of my assessment with anything substantive.  Though I keep inviting it.

Hal, I do like much of what you write – stuff worth thinking about for sure.  As for trying to explain my thoughts:

MARCH 14, 2020
    Earth Centrism ~ Geocentrism. Seriously ?

Since (folks) still sound confused about what I’m trying to enunciate, allow me to review what the term “Earth Centrism” actually means.

https://confrontingsciencecontrarians.blogspot.com/2020/03/earth-centrism-vs-geocentrism-seriously.html

Oh and it does rhyme with Humanism!   🙂

@lausten
    Keymaster

Nice walk on the prairie. Thanks for the prose

@halster
    Participant

@lausten The non-believer prejudice stems from (I think) the way atheist leaders have presented human history as a long period of worshipping nature then it just stuck as a meme and became what we call religion today.

Lausten is that what you really think?

from the first notion of montheastic religion non believers were not shy in expressing their opinion.  It was the Catholic leaders when they took over Christianity that declared nothing happened before written history.  It took hundreds of thousands of years for humans to develop the skills to invent writing and be able to produce something as difficult as the Bible.

@lausten
    Keymaster

How have you been Hal?

I’m describing what other people think, so I’m not sure what you are asking. I don’t think that “human history as a long period of worshiping nature then it just stuck as a meme and became what we call religion today”, but a lot of non-believers do.

I’m not sure what point you’re making either, since you seem to be claiming to know something about how people thought before written language came along.

@timb
    Participant

I just now discovered this thread. I am sorry I missed its earlier incarnation.  I find much of what you say, Hal, to be interesting and quite acceptable mete for discussion.

I know that AMH’s had verbal behavior long before they developed the added verbal skill of textual behavior. (Pardon my behaviorist terminology.)  We know that many peoples, before they knew how to read and write, had (often very rich) religious narratives that were passed on in oral histories. So it stands to reason that various complex religious narratives developed long before any humans developed textual behaviors.

I would guess that something like “animism” was a part of this.  Maybe it was sort of the original religion and maybe it was even predominate for long time periods.  But I would also bet that other various religious narratives took hold long before there was any written history.

Sure hunters might be pre-disposed to develop a religious narrative that involved animals.  Gatherers might develop  different superstitious narratives.  Then with the development of agriculture, other superstitious narratives probably came to the fore.

@halster
    Participant

@timb

I am happy that you noticed

Anatomically modern humans (AMH) have been evolving for a few hundred hundred thousand years now.

@timb
    Participant

Anatomically modern humans (AMH) have been evolving for a few hundred hundred thousand years now.

For many of us, the evolution included some interbreeding with other human species, like the Neanderthals and Denisovans.

You appear to have a bit of Neanderthal. (That is a compliment.)

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.