Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

If you believe all negative news about Trump is "fake…"

Forums Forums Politics and Social Issues If you believe all negative news about Trump is "fake…"

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 266 total)
  • Author
    @teebryantoo
    Participant

I agree false balance is a problem.

I disagree that in on the topic of climate change, the media gives deniers equal space, time and treatment.

BTW, you really can’t support Trump if you care about climate change.

THERE IS A FAR MORE URGENT REASON TO IMPEACH TRUMP: CLIMATE CHANGE |

https://www.newsweek.com/topic/climate-change-denial

@write4u
    Participant

No, the news about Trump is true. Trump is the “fake”.

But I have a question in regard to the notion that race gives people identity and purpose.

Question; “What race are Americans”?

@player
    Participant

Climate Deniers Have Enjoyed Way More Media Coverage Than Scientists in Recent Decades

Since the early 2000s, scientific dispute over the reality of human-caused climate change has virtually come to an end. But you wouldn’t necessarily know that from reading the news.

A new analysis of the media landscape shows that from 2000 to 2016, climate deniers received far more media attention than scientists. In fact, during this time, media outlets gave these contrarians nearly 50 percent more visibility than the top experts on climate change.

“Climate change contrarians have successfully organised a strong voice within politics and science communication,” the authors of the study write.

“Such disproportionate media visibility of contrarian arguments and actors misrepresents the distribution of expert-based beliefs.”

It’s a major discrepancy, found by comparing the media visibility of 386 prominent climate contrarians and 386 top climate scientists.

These two groups were carefully selected by researchers and included 772 people frequently approached by the media. The scientists were chosen from some 200,000 research publications, and the contrarians were chosen for publicly and repeatedly spreading disinformation on climate change issues.

Scanning through roughly 100,000 media articles, looking for bylines, citations and mentions, the findings reveal climate deniers got nearly 50 percent more coverage than climate scientists.

https://www.sciencealert.com/climate-deniers-got-far-more-media-attention-than-scientists-this-century

@timb
    Participant

We Americans are the race of mongrels and infidels who will eventually replace the white supremacists and their hatred and delusions of purity. We are the race who does not have fear motivating us from our deepest levels. We are the race that is not constructed so much from dna as from the ideals that were aspired to from our foundation as a nation.  We are the race of Truth and Justice.

@player
    Participant

Biden supporters just as bad as trump supporters

@teebryantoo
    Participant

Scanning through roughly 100,000 media articles, looking for bylines, citations and mentions, the findings reveal climate deniers got nearly 50 percent more coverage than climate scientists.

I would want to see in what context the deniers are mentioned. It may be that much of the time, they are mentioned to debunk their claims. That’s not actually giving them equal coverage.

@teebryantoo
    Participant

We Americans are the race of mongrels and infidels who will eventually replace the white supremacists and their hatred and delusions of purity. We are the race who does not have fear motivating us from our deepest levels. We are the race that is not constructed so much from dna as from the ideals that were aspired to from our foundation as a nation.  We are the race of Truth and Justice.

This is what we want to be. Or rather, what you and I want us to be. It isn’t what America truly started out to be. There really are two Americas. I hope “ours” wins out:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/07/15/us/trump-tweets-two-americas-blake/index.html?cid=web-alerts&nsid=98191767&__twitter_impression=true

@player
    Participant

We Americans are the race of mongrels and infidels who will eventually replace the white supremacists and their hatred and delusions of purity. We are the race who does not have fear motivating us from our deepest levels. We are the race that is not constructed so much from dna as from the ideals that were aspired to from our foundation as a nation.  We are the race of Truth and Justice.”

Failed state. Approaching point of critical mass: I’m thinking there will be lots more blood on the streets  there, in the near future

@player
    Participant

“Tt may be that much of the time, they are mentioned to debunk their claims.”

No. For so called balance

@timb
    Participant

In answering Write4U’s question: “What race are Americans?”  I gave my platonic ideal concept in response.  Since “race” is pretty much just a construct, I figure I can make my own construct of “what my American race is”.

@teebryantoo
    Participant

“Tt may be that much of the time, they are mentioned to debunk their claims.”

No. For so called balance

That may well be, but I honestly haven’t seen it. To me, the reason the term “climate deniers” exists is like the reason “Holocaust denial” exists. There is an accepted truth (Climate change due to human activity is real, is devastating the planet now, and will wipe out life on earth if not addressed …Almost all scientists agree) and those who deny that truth (Climate change is a hoax)

I have only seen the “hoax” or pure denial in Conservative Christian and pro-Trump publications.

@Player
    , can you link some examples in mainline media that say climate change is not a problem? I have Googled, and while I can find disagreement about how urgent it is, I can still only find actual denial in right-wing media.

Also, does it not bother you that Trump clearly says climate change isn’t real, wants to defund programs that cover research and technology, pulled out of global agreements etc?

@teebryantoo
    Participant

In answering Write4U’s question: “What race are Americans?”  I gave my platonic ideal concept in response.  Since “race” is pretty much just a construct, I figure I can make my own construct of “what my American race is”.

I 100% agree with it as an ideal. In fact I love it. It just isn’t reality at this moment.

@timb
    Participant

Good grief.  I will be fine if I never hear that Kyle Kulinski’s shrill voice ever again.  He seems to me to be just another exploiter of the niche of younger voters who can be emotionally worked up to undermine the dems by using their standard lies of “false equivalencies”.  The false equivalency being, in this case, that moderate dems are just as bad as Trumpublicans.  Or specifically, in the case above, that Biden’s gaffes are as bad as the idiotic crap that routinely comes out of Trump’s mouth.

Is this niche of young liberals that these web cowboys are trying to further indoctrinate, the holdover avid Bernie supporters who helped Trump get elected due to being pissed off that Bernie didn’t get a fair shot in the 2016 election?

Personally, I will be fine with Bernie winning the coming nomination, if he can go on to win the general.  I will be fine with Biden – same thing. But I haven’t decided, yet, which of the crop of dem candidates that I will vote for to be the nominee.

@player
    Participant

New strategy for biden . Hide him!!

@player
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 266 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.