Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

If you believe all negative news about Trump is "fake…"

Forums Forums Politics and Social Issues If you believe all negative news about Trump is "fake…"

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 266 total)
  • Author
    @player
    Blocked

Media already around warren trying to split the Bernie camp. If she wins the nomination she will be dropped faster than flies around cows arsehole. Show me the poll with warren ahead of bernie

@lausten
    Keymaster

Demonstrate how the media is giving Warren more attention than she deserves? Or that they have some kind of agenda regarding either one of them? Or how do you know Bernie should be getting more coverage or different coverage? And stay on topic. You just dodged all the earlier questions.

@timb
    Participant

Yeah, Player, I often have to guess to try to understand what you are getting at.  I shouldn’t have to (at least not so often).  I can understand someone occasionally making posts that seem out of left field due to not being careful enough that their post or reply makes sense, but you seem to make it your SOP.

For example, your last reply being the cryptic “higher taxes??”

It’s not worth the confusion of trying to have a dialogue with you.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Here’s you poll. Not that I care. It’s irrelevant to whatever point you are making.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/2020_democratic_presidential_nomination-6730.html

@player
    Blocked

“The media is owned by the rich…” Duh.”

So how does that get played out in news reporting?????

“There is also PBS and media that is not owned by the rich and there are books and libraries, so people can find information if they want. Media could not maintain its credibility if they were as far from the truth as you seem to be saying they are.”

people get their daily news from books?? Are you that disconnected..PBS newshour was one of the biggest fear mongers in spreading anti Russian propaganda. How they go in presenting on the topics I mention above eg wages, climate change, alternative economic theories……..????

If the criticism of trump is genuine and objective by the media with no agenda , even called the worst president by some,  then why would they fall behind trump rather than Bernie (unless you disagree that they would of course)???????

@player
    Blocked

Media want to have her for ratings  you say? How they feel about her tax hikes???

@lausten
    Keymaster

Okay, you’re just spouting baseless statements and not connecting anything to anything. I’m sure there’s some data in your head somewhere but you can’t coalesce it into an intelligent sentence.

No, people don’t get their news from books, but enough people read books that if the news was completely lying to us, we would know. Chomsky can’t answer the basic question that any conspiracy theorist can’t; if the truth is so suppressed, how does he know it?

Also, are aware that anyone can broadcast their analysis of current events now? Some of the people that do that are pretty smart.

@player
    Blocked

Here you go

and answer the question. Do you think corporate media will support trump over Bernie???

@player
    Blocked

“Okay, you’re just spouting baseless statements and not connecting anything to anything. I’m sure there’s some data in your head somewhere but you can’t coalesce it into an intelligent sentence”

i have given you examples to explain what I am talking about, while you give me platitudes. Sir – you are an imbecile

@teebryantoo
    Participant

Player

I’m not sure I follow everything you’ve said here, nor can I answer to much of it. But a few thoughts:

First, FWIW, I’ve never worked for any corporate news outlet. I spent 30 years at small/medium newspapers covering local news. I can tell you how newsrooms work, in general. I can’t tell you what it’s like at USA Today or Newsweek. But nobody pays me to have a particular opinion or to take a particular side. I have no loyalty except to my own values.

Second, the Chomsky-Marr interview took place in 1995, prior to the rise of the Internet as we know it today. Americans today have tens of thousands of news sources, trustworthy and not. Whatever “take” you want to find on the news, you can find it. Everyone can access their own facts and alternative facts. Nobody needs to depend on “the mainstream media” for “truth” (and I’m not even sure how we can know what “truth” is, anymore.)

Third, Chomsky’s point about “The Propoganda Machine” is so huge and nebulous it’s essentially meaningless. Chomsky starts talking about the way journalists begin learning to conform … in kindergarten. It reminds me of the “”Old Man Yells At Cloud” https://imgur.com/a/KTFkciV meme, you can be upset at the way things are, but that’s the way things are.

Society “should” be different than it is. Men, Caucasians, Christians, the upper-class, and physically attractive people shouldn’t be privileged, but they are. The media is a propaganda machine… but so are education, business, the legal system, entertainment, politics, religion, language, and medicine. (But let’s blame it all on the media.)

Fourth, this whole argument, ironically, reeks of privilege. There seems to be an expectation that journalists be saintlike, above they fray and willing to sacrifice all to “tell the truth.” But crazy as it may seem, journalists, their bosses, and their bosses’ bosses have debt, mortgages, and mouths to feed.

I’m not being flippant, just pointing to reality. Media outlets are businesses. For good or ill, we do live in a Capitalistic society, and to turn a profit, media outlets need to give the public what it wants.

AND THE PUBLIC DOESN’T REALLY WANT WHAT THEY THINK THEY WANT.

My personal anecdote on this: For a decade, my job at the paper was to oversee a special section that focused on positive news about people in my community. I won several awards for my work. I heard every day from readers who enjoyed it, because they were so tired of reading about murders, rapes and scandals.

But advertisers know how many people read certain sections, compared to other sections, based on response. And even though readers SAY they hate reading about murders, rapes and scandals, those are the sections more of them actually READ. The last 2 years I was there, my boss paid my salary from revenue in other sections of the paper because he WANTED to keep the section, and me. Eventually, it (and I) became economically unviable for them.

People want journalists to “speak truth to power,” “stick it to da man,” and “think outside the box.” They should go to dangerous neighborhoods and lands, interview people who won’t be interviewed, and access secret documents. They should risk their lives, be on the job 24 hours a day. And they should be independently wealthy, so they don’t have to worry about income, or being fired.

If you can figure out a model that works, that would be nice.

@player
    Blocked

“People want journalists to “speak truth to power,” “stick it to da man,” and “think outside the box.” They should go to dangerous neighborhoods and lands, interview people who won’t be interviewed, and access secret documents. They should risk their lives, be on the job 24 hours a day. And they should be independently wealthy, so they don’t have to worry about income, or being fired.

If you can figure out a model that works, that would be nice.”

no they should be allowed to do journalism and not be the PR for the multinationals.

However, Media outlets need to give what the shareholders and big corporate advertises want in the profit motive capitalist system. Can u tell me how you held those in power to account? We’re you allowed to?

@teebryantoo
    Participant

How did I hold those in corporate power to account?

You must have missed the first thing I said:

First, FWIW, I’ve never worked for any corporate news outlet. I spent 30 years at small/medium newspapers covering local news.

It wasn’t that “I wasn’t allowed” to do this. My topics, and my sources for them, were small and local. The type of work I did isn’t the type you’re talking about.

The whole issue of the press as propoganda is also an exercise in epistemology. If the majority of people know a thing, and someone comes along and says it’s not true, how do we discern what’s true and what isn’t? From Chomsky to Q, lots of people claim that everything we know is a lie, but how do THEY know it’s a lie if “the truth” is being kept secret?

And by the way, you still haven’t answered my actual question. Saying “the media is propoganda” is exactly the same as saying “the media lies,” and does not answer the “how.”

Even though I’ve not worked for any large newsrooms, I can tell you for sure that journalists don’t show up to work, sip coffee and just Make Shit Up. Writing news isn’t like writing poetry. (And journalists aren’t that creative. If they were, they would be in much better-paying fields.)

You said at one point that a conspiracy wouldn’t be necessary for the media to be lying, but it would be. Because they have to be getting their info from SOMEWHERE.

For example: The idea that Trump is horrible. Honestly, no journalist has to “invent” this. Do you want to know who Trump is?

Read his tweets (for God’s sake), and the shit he retweets.

Watch his interviews on video. You can find full transcripts for many of them.

Read what Tony Schwartz, who ghost-wrote Trump’s autobiography, says about him. Or any of hundreds of people who have known him petsonally.

Read what historians have said. Or any of the groups/people  I listed in my OP (the checkmarked list). That was kind of my point. Did “the media” just invent these people from whole cloth?

How about scanning this piece and telling me where all this info is coming from if it’s “fake?”

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/atrocities-1-to-112

@player
    Blocked

trump is attacked by the corporate media from the right not left. Thats what is important to consider not what you  espouse

You seem to have trouble dealing with this truism.

“And by the way, you still haven’t answered my actual question. Saying “the media is propoganda” is exactly the same as saying “the media lies,” and does not answer the “how.”

I dont see a question in this.

“Even though I’ve not worked for any large newsrooms, I can tell you for sure that journalists don’t show up to work, sip coffee and just Make Shit Up. Writing news isn’t like writing poetry. (And journalists aren’t that creative. If they were, they would be in much better-paying fields.)”

They are hired because their fundemental beliefs about how the world works and should work lines up with the corporate masters. Nothing needs to be said it is understood in the closing handshake . Of course there are some exceptions, but very very few and far between.

@teebryantoo
    Participant

@Lausten

Let me ask about a more specific example. I met a Republican woman who was bothered that I thought all Trump voters were racist. I said I didn’t think that exactly, but, as a comparative point of reference, I watched both Presidential conventions and saw a more diverse audience at the Democratic one. She said that’s because the media portrayed it that way. She had worked at the convention as a volunteer serving food and she said she saw lots of black people. Tell me, if she’s right, if the Republican convention had just as many minorities attending, how does the media pull off that lie?

Yes. This is a perfect example of what I’m talking about.

@teebryantoo
    Participant

trump is attacked by the corporate media from the right not left. Thats what is important to consider not what you  espouse You seem to have trouble dealing with this truism.

I don’t know what you mean. Media outlets on the “right” include Breitbart, InfoWars, Epoch Times, New York News, FOX & Daily Caller. They tend to support Trump. What am I missing?

I dont see a question in this.

Okay, sorry to make things hard. How about, “Can you tell me how???????”

You can also read my OP.

They are hired because their fundemental beliefs about how the world works and should work lines up with the corporate masters. Nothing needs to be said it is understood in the closing handshake . Of course there are some exceptions, but very very few and far between.

Fascinating. How do YOU know this? How many mass media outlets have you worked for? How many interviews have you sat in on?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 266 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.