Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Iran

This topic contains 78 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick D 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author

Player
    Participant

Wow. Usa really pushing hard for a fight with Iran.

When do people think america will start a war with Iran?

Mriana

No, the citizens of the U.S. are not pushing for war with Iran. The occupant of the White House and his cronies are. Why is it people in other countries think people in the U.S. want various things, when it is the stupid people in our government, their cronies, and a few minions pushing for these things? Personally, I’m not a fan of the dotard and what he does and there many others like myself. I’m hoping we get the dotard out of the office next election, if not impeach him before then, (as are others) and getting someone in office who doesn’t want war in the Middle East.

Player
    Participant

Because you say USA is a democracy

TimB
    Participant

This is an echo of the same types of Neo Cons, who devastated our nation by getting us in the ill-fated and perpetually mismanaged Iraq war.  Surely we will not fall for it again.

Player
    Participant

What makes you so sure ? American capitalism lives off war

Patrick D
    Participant

What makes you so sure ? American capitalism lives off war

Unfortunately, that seems to have been the case since the end of WW2.  President Eisenhower tried to warn the country about the military Industrial complex in 1961.

If the people who actually run the country think a war with Iran will benefit their  interests, there will be a war. I used to think that congress  had to declare war, but, Vietnam and Iraq especially gave the lie to that fantasy. But hey, I’m just an ignorant foreigner, what do I know.

Player
    Participant

Patrick . Then tell me which US war was just?

TimB
    Participant

Patrick, you know MUCH more than many ignorant Americans.

WWII seems pretty “just” in retrospect.

TimB
    Participant

I don’t think a war with Iran is imminent.  I don’t think Trump wants it, tho some of his ppl do.  And I don’t think those ppl have the wherewithal to pull off an Iran war, at this time.

Player
    Participant

120 000 troops into persian gulf. Us navy everywhere. They just tried to blame  iran for damage to saudi tanker. Another gulf of tonkin false flag ahead

Player
    Participant

Timb you had to go back to all the way to Ww2? Wonder why? Even that is debatable with americas timing

Patrick D
    Participant

“Patrick . Then tell me which US war was just?”

Honest answer: the term ‘just war’ is an oxymoron.

My perception is that wars are fought for one or both of two reasons:To take something the other chap has,  or to stop the other chap taking something you have.  Wars are started by cynical old men who con their gormless young men into going to a foreign country to kill their gormless young men. Each side in a war usually claims divine approval . The poor dumb bastards  doing the actual dying will often fight for ideals or religious faith.

Not wars, government policy or relations between countries are  due to moral or ethical considerations. Countries always act in their perceived best interest, and all relations between countries are quid pro quo. The payback can be money, trade or   military/political  favours such as  bases in that country.  Currently the US has a presence in the Middle East. That will not be relinquished any time soon.

I admit my perception is cynical, and not widely held. The theoretical position is called  ‘realpolitik’,and it’s been around for a long time.

“Realpolitik (from German: real; “realistic”, “practical”, or “actual”; and Politik; “politics”, German pronunciation: [ʁeˈaːlpoliˌtiːk]) is politics or diplomacy based primarily on considerations of given circumstances and factors, rather than explicit ideological notions or moral and ethical premises. In this respect, it shares aspects of its philosophical approach with those of realism and pragmatism. It is often simply referred to as “pragmatism” in politics, e.g. “pursuing pragmatic policies”. The term Realpolitik is sometimes used pejoratively to imply politics that are perceived as coercive, amoral, or Machiavellian.[1]”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realpolitik

The Europeans have had Nicollo  Machiavelli’s “The Prince” since the fifteenth century. The Chinese have had  Sun Tzu’s  ‘The Art Of War’ for over 2000 years.

Player
    Participant

So you agree. Nothing to do with freedom, democracy and human rights???

Patrick D
    Participant

“Patrick, you know MUCH more than many ignorant Americans.”

Thank you for saying so.

WWII seems pretty “just” in retrospect.

“Seems”, indeed; both the Nazis and Japanese were  very very obviously evil and a credible threat to western civilisation. Although we are loathe to admit it, many Aussies believe the Japanese would have invaded for Australia if not for the US. Specifically, the victory at the Battle of The Coral Sea.

Player
    Participant

“Seems”, indeed; both the Nazis and Japanese were  very very obviously evil and a credible threat to western civilisation.”

no they wernt. Threat to imperialism of other nations.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.