Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Iran

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    @bigmouth
    Participant

“So you agree. Nothing to do with freedom, democracy and human rights???”

Yes.

I’ll go further:

Freedom is a relative  concept, and largely an illusion in real life.

‘Democracy’ is a one word oxymoron (if such a thing is possible) It has never existed in the sense of  ‘majority rule’. EG Donald Trump did not win the popular vote , but was still elected president .It’s even worse in Australia; we have  preferential voting, not ‘first past the post’. Athenian democracy was actually a form of government by referendum; IE every eligible voter voted on every important issue . Women and slaves could not vote. .

There are no such things as innate human rights. There are privileges, which can be, and are, removed by the powerful at will.

@player
    Blocked

no right to clean drinking water? no right to medical care? no right to be educated? no right to have a home?

All these are only for the privileged? True in a capitalist economy

@timb
    Participant

I want to adjust my thoughts on the possibility of war with Iran not likely being imminent.  I do think that. Yet the possibility is not zero.  In addition to the neocons in the current admin wanting it desperately, Trump has ties to Saudi Arabia and the Saudis want us to strike Iran.  If Trump does find an excuse to strike Iran, and he thinks he can get away with a 1 or 2 time strike, in order to look tough and endear himself to the Saudis, he would likely do it.  He would not want a larger war, but one thing can lead to another.

@player
    Blocked

why are you silent on Israel on this matter?

@timb
    Participant

Well, yeah, Nitwityahoo the Israeli Prime Minister is great buds with Trump also.  He would, no doubt, also be happy with a US strike on Iran.

@player
    Blocked

Israel interfere in US election 2016?

@timb
    Participant

Russian red herring anyone?  Read the frikkin Mueller report to see some of what Russia did.  There is a LOT to see there.  Tho some is still redacted, and some may not have been determined by the Mueller investigation, by their own admission.

@player
    Blocked

You said page 14. Nothing to hang your hat on.

@thatoneguy
    Participant

Israel interfere in US election 2016?

No but Israel has outsize influence on US foreign policy.

@thatoneguy
    Participant

Wow. Usa really pushing hard for a fight with Iran.

When do people think america will start a war with Iran?

Never.

@bigmouth
    Participant

“no right to clean drinking water? no right to medical care? no right to be educated? no right to have a home?

All these are only for the privileged? True in a capitalist economy”

I thought “there are no such things as innate  rights was a pretty clear  statement.

If there are no innate rights, the political system is irrelevant, as is the social structure.

The  above is an opinion,  based on observation. Our life experiences may be very different, so our observations will differ. I have no problem with that.

@player
    Blocked

Yes how right wing of you

@player
    Blocked

Hey Tim. Enjoy

@bigmouth
    Participant

Yes how right wing of you

Pardon?

How do you figure that?

I’ve explained that my position is based on observation. IE it is my perception of how the world actually works. It is pragmatic and apolitical.

Politically, I’m more a pluralist. By that I mean I subscribe to using whatever works to produce greatest good for the greatest number. I consider this view a rational and pragmatic way to view politics and society, but not necessarily the  ideal. I’ve yet to come across an ideal system of social, economic or political organisation.

My position is;  “The ideologue,  political or religious,  is naive  at best , dangerous at worst”

@player
    Blocked

Yeap. Only a  right wing zealot would claim what you say about rights.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.