Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Is the mind pictures?

Forums Forums General Discussion Is the mind pictures?

This topic contains 311 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Citizenschallenge-v.3 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 312 total)
  • Author

Highangela
    Participant

New to the site so a brief hello before I get into it.

heres my issue:

https://browardmeditation.org/what-is-meditation/overview/

Im kind of the person who takes what they see and read seriously in that I tend to think something is true based on the wording, length, confidence they have, or personal anecdotes.

That aside, I’m not sure what to think about what the above says about mind.

Seems to me that on a metaphorical level, it makes some sense:

Historically, one of the biggest obstacles in overcoming problems in life and reaching enlightenment was the fact that the mind could not be precisely defined. This prevented people from discovering who they are and how to become Truth. This meditation defines the human mind as an accumulation of pictures, stored within one’s body and mind. These pictures are an accumulation of past experiences which are taken through the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and body. …

You will discover all the answers to these questions as true wisdom enters into your mind by cleansing the false mind. Through the method of this meditation, you can cleanse your mind. This involves a guided simple step-by-step method that anyone can easily follow. There are seven levels in this meditation. Even after completing just the first level you will get to know that the true mind has come in, and that is the enlightenment.

But then it seems to end in a sales pitch.  “Cleansing the false mind”  What’s that even mean.  If you want to cleanse the “false mind” why not start with critical thinking skills?  Then again, why assume your mind is false – when it’s a collection of your accumulated experiences and thoughts?  Have you thought about it from that perspective?

Think about this red flag : “These pictures are an accumulation of past experiences which are taken through the eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and body.”   Isn’t there a bunch more going on inside as we live and process our experiences through those sense?

Write4U
    Participant

This may clarify a few of these questions. It is a very entertaining as well as informing presentation of “Your brain hallucinates your conscious reality”

Xain
    Participant

This doesn’t really answer the questions or claims of the site. Are you saying that our reality isn’t real and that the site is right? That our mind is false?

Advocatus
    Participant

He’s certainly not saying that reality isn’t real.  He’s just saying that our perception of reality is a model put together in our brains based on the input from your senses.  We assume that our perception of reality is accurate, but we can sometimes see (in the case of optical illusions, for example) that it isn’t necessarily.  It’s just the best model our brains can come up with.  And your own existence as a conscious entity is another model your brain puts together from available data.

The people talking about meditation are saying basically the same thing, that your “mind”, or your perception of reality, is based upon ideas in your head which are in turn based upon the input from your senses.  Meditation is way of sitting quietly and sorting through all those conflicting perceptions.  Nothing more mysterious than that, really.

This seems relevant to this discussion.  It’s pretty damned interesting in any event:

“… This week at the BRAIN Initiative meeting in Maryland, Dr. Christof Koch, the president of the Allen Institute of Brain Science based in Seattle, announced the discovery of three neurons with branches that extensively span both hemispheres of the brain.

Incredibly, these neurons sit in the claustrum, a mysterious, thin sheet of cells that Koch believes is the seat of consciousness. Among the three, the largest neuron wrapped around the entire circumference of the mouse brain like a “crown of thorns”—something never seen before.

“A single neuron, projecting across the entire cortex! Absolutely astonishing!” Koch exclaimed during his talk. …”
    <div class=”td-post-author-name”>
    <div class=”td-author-by”>By</div>
    Mar 09, 2017  https://singularityhub.com/2017/03/09/are-these-giant-neurons-the-seat-of-consciousness-in-the-brain</div>

<div class=”td-post-author-name”></div>

whatever     ;- /

Xain
    Participant

“The people talking about meditation are saying basically the same thing, that your “mind”, or your perception of reality, is based upon ideas in your head which are in turn based upon the input from your senses.  Meditation is way of sitting quietly and sorting through all those conflicting perceptions.  Nothing more mysterious than that, really.”

That’s actually not what they are saying. They are arguing that those things are not real or true, that it is the false mind. That meditation is to cleanse the false mind and those pictures so that you can become truth (whatever that is). It has nothing to do with what you said since that isn’t what they are arguing. Our ideas aren’t based upon input from the senses but rather the judgment we place upon those inputs (different).

Meditation, according to them, isn’t about sorting through them but cleansing them. Kind of like wiping it all away. I know they used a metaphor of pictures full of color, then a blank space, followed by the same pictures without color. This implies some kind of “cleansing” of the false mind (plus a few things about eternal life, saint, peace, I don’t remember it all). It’s far from what you thought it was.

MikeYohe
    Participant

Anyone know how far back in time meditation was used?

Lausten
    Participant

“That’s actually not what they are saying. ”

Do you have references for this “they” you speak of?

Xain
    Participant

Because I went to the site and saw a few bits of literature. One board talked about releasing all your attachments, along with some other things. Another was about touching “the source” and coming back.

But rest assured it isn’t what Advocatus said

Xain
    Participant

Having spoken more about it the whole thing boiled down to “you are the universe” that the way you view the world through your mind isn’t true. Also that “you aren’t alive”. Which didn’t really make sense. Actually none of it did

Lausten
    Participant

“Actually none of it did”

That might be the most helpful thing you’ve said! I assume you mean the browardmeditation site. I’m not sure I’m tracking on this whole thread. That’s not much of a reference AFAICT. It’s like the book I recently read about a kid discovering Pachamama. He includes some stuff on how quantum physics shows how things are changed when we observe them. This is totally wrong, so if I used him as a reference, I’d be passing along wrong information.

Xain
    Participant

It was surreal. It was like every question I asked just made things muddier and muddier. She just repeated the same thing as though it were true and saying you have to “live it” or sign up for the class to know it. Seems off to me

Lausten
    Participant

It was surreal. It was like every question I asked just made things muddier and muddier. She just repeated the same thing as though it were true and saying you have to “live it” or sign up for the class to know it. Seems off to me

“Take this class, then you will know”. Run, run away. With one hand on your wallet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 312 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.