Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Living an Authentic Life

Forums Forums General Discussion Living an Authentic Life

This topic contains 29 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Xain 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Xain
    Participant

How To Live a Genuine Life

I’m not entirely sure this is what a genuine life is. I don’t believe we humans have a true nature like it says and what they mean by a genuine life sounds like more of their own opinion rather than what actually constitutes it.

That said, I have heard authenticity tossed around a bit in existentialism. Though I wasn’t sure to what extent such a life is possible. Is something authentic because we say so? If that’s the case then does true authenticity exist or is it just our definition of it?

3point14rat
    Participant
    • Fruit (apples, oranges, peaches or nectarines)
    • bread
    • toothpaste
    • cheese (if on sale)
    • potatoes (ones good for baking)
    • thousand island salad dressing
    • eggs
    • lettuce (iceberg if possible)

Xain
    Participant

did you even read it

3point14rat
    Participant

No. You ignore everything I write, so I thought I could use your threads as places to store my grocery lists.

TimB
    Participant

good idea.

• bread
    • peanut butter
    • sodas
    • chips
    • bananas
    • pastries
    • chicken pot pies
    • eggs
    • anti-depressants

Xain
    Participant

Again, did anyone read it?

3point14rat
    Participant

I heard that in the US there are different kinds of breakfast cereals. I’m wondering what some of the more common kinds are down in the States. (Only healthy ones though, nothing processed or with too much added sugar.)

I usually add plain rolled oats to whatever I’m having if it’s sweetened. Quaker Harvest Crunch and other granola-type cereals are my staples.

I eat cereal for breakfast every day, so after years and years of the same kinds, it would be interesting to see what else is out there.

Lausten
    Participant

I was at the co-op the other day, trying to find a low sugar cereal and picked this one up for comparison. 

It looks like a sugary kids cereal, but note, “made with beans”, and it is in fact lower in sugar than the more “adult” cereals I usually choose. Whodda thunk it.

TimB
    Participant

Speaking of surprising foods, has anyone tried the Burger King Impossible Burger yet?  I wonder if it tastes the same as their burgers that have actual meat.

Xain
    Participant

None of this has anything to do with what the article is saying about how the lives that we live are just substitutes for what is genuine.

Lausten
    Participant

I have looked in a couple cities for the Impossible Burger. I think they are keeping it a secret so people will come in looking for it, then buy something else.

TimB
    Participant

I heard that it is coming soon across the nation –  i.e., all Burger Kings.

BTW, I must be living a genuine life, as I am aware of my addiction to fast food burgers. (see Xain, everything is related)

3point14rat
    Participant

I’d totally try that bean-based cereal. There’s no way I’d have given it a second look on the shelf because the box is terrible, it looks like a sugar coated, marshmallow filled kid cereal. Unfortunately the price is crazy- I would eat a box each morning, and it’s over $8 American per box, so, with milk, I’d be paying $10 a day for breakfast.

I think there are the equivalent of ‘Impossible Burgers’ in Canada (I heard that A&W had one a few years ago) but I’m not sure since I don’t see ads on TV or eat at fast food restaurants. But I would try one to see what they’re like. As a farm kid I know my beef and what a burger should taste like, so it would have to be pretty authentic to pass my test.

Advocatus
    Participant

Xain wrote:  “I’m not entirely sure this is what a genuine life is. I don’t believe we humans have a true nature like it says and what they mean by a genuine life sounds like more of their own opinion rather than what actually constitutes it.”

Xain, you keep going back to these Buddhist sites as if deep down inside you truly feel that they have something of value to teach you.  But then you seem to rush to judgement about what they’re trying to tell you.  Take it slowly.  Really read what the author is saying.  Sit still for a moment and really think about the words.  What he’s saying is that, especially in the modern world we are easily distracted by things, by our devices and gadgets, by the news of what’s happening in the world, by our friends, by our jobs, by our own fantasies of what kind of life we SHOULD be having, and in consequence our minds are so busy that we don’t take time to just BE.  How often do people just sit still and experience what’s going on?  That is what he means by a genuine life.

Okay Xain, Advocatus read it, seems to me he shared some spot on advice.

As for the shopping list, I thought you’ve read a lot of Zen and Tao stuff – I’d think you’d recognize the tactic

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the words of a pretty smart fellow:  “Sit still for a moment and really think about the words.  What he’s saying is that, especially in the modern world we are easily distracted …”

From your read:  Being precise means focusing on what gets in the way of clarity in practice. We need to focus particularly on the addictions that keep us encased in a substitute life. I’m not talking about the most obvious addictions, like the chemical addictions to drugs or alcohol. I’m talking about more subtle addictions to which we all fall prey.

Let’s start with our addiction to comfort. I’m talking about the ways we manipulate our experience in an effort to find comfort and avoid pain. We’ve all got it to some degree. What does yours look like? Does it manifest as avoiding sitting meditation when you don’t feel like it, or as moving around during sitting even when the instruction is to sit still? Can you see it in your attachment to food or sleep or fantasizing? …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.