Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

My short video project: "Without a Doubt"

Forums Forums General Discussion My short video project: "Without a Doubt"

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Xain
    Participant

That’s actually not what I am getting and you missed the point entirely Lausten.

Also I don’t see what logical problems are in the quote I cited.

But as I linked in the heart sutra the “no true scotsman” doesn’t apply to Buddhism.

Lausten
    Keymaster

…substantiated with scientific philosophy, based on the fairly normal empirical assumption that it is the structure of my brain which imbues what I call ‘me’ with consciousness

There’s no connection from the brain being associated with consciousness to a universal consciousness. That “substantiates” nothing. Logic problem, bomb.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

@snowcity

But as I linked in the heart sutra the “no true scotsman” doesn’t apply to Buddhism

The “No True Scotsman” logical fallacy wouldn’t apply to Buddhism or to any belief. It applies to the person who is defining a belief, in this case you, Xain.

Xain
    Participant

There’s no connection from the brain being associated with consciousness to a universal consciousness. That “substantiates” nothing. Logic problem, bomb.

Well he said the structure of the brain, which i guess is trying to say that the structure of matter is what enables consciousness, so it’s not a logic problem. I don’t think you read it right.

Xain
    Participant

Also in regards to the self and being the universe it seems as though the model is one of those “one thing with many eyes watching itself” (as best as I can imagine it). That without a soul or “ghost in the machine” then there is no “you” and therefor no self, just the illusion of one due to the brain

Xain
    Participant

It also fits into what they mention about the body being an illusion (and that we are often attached to the body and have forgotten what we truly are and our true nature) and that there is no individual consciousness but universal consciousness.

Xain
    Participant

https://liberationist.org/the-truth-about-suffering/

The truth of suffering is a wake-up call — we realize we are not aware of who we really are. Everything is impermanent, ungraspable, and not really knowable, including ourselves.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

Objectively, @snowcity, you are infusing things others say with your own meanings based on your own interpretation — your own obsession with Buddhism.

Also, you don’t understand what “No True Scotsman” is.

Lausten
    Keymaster

Someone else posted this for a different type of believer, but it fits everything Xian talks about. He talks about the “substrate” underlying consciousness. It’s not “universal consciousness” or some other reality, it’s the reality that we know about through science, things the early Buddhists could not have known. He uses the wave analogy, the water drops in the wave are “just” spinning in a pattern, they aren’t aware they are creating the wave. Most important, he says, we aren’t “just” particles, we are the patterns formed by those particles. Skip to about 7:30 for these critical points.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Lausten.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Lausten.
    Lausten
    Keymaster

Thanks Tee. I was starting to wonder if I was making sense, and I was getting worn out.

TimB
    Participant

Woman with her husband at the Psychiatrist’s office:  Doctor, doctor, my husband thinks he’s a chicken.

Psychiatrist: Be at ease my good woman.  We have medicines that will bring him right back to himself.

Woman (looking worried): Well is there another option?   Cause we sure can use the eggs.

(Point being, if you’re laying eggs, you must really be chicken-like.  And if your self is functioning like a self for all intents and purposes that is sufficient for actually being yourself.   Go with that.  If you are still compelled to determine whether we are in the MATRIX or something, you could still continue that quest.)

Xain
    Participant

I saw the video, his bit about the patterns was interesting and mirrored what I thought, that it’s an emergent phenomenon that you can’t just analyze in terms of its parts. Attempting to do so would lead you nowhere. I think he mentioned it being independent of it’s parts, my guess is that you can’t observe it by looking at the parts that cause it (which is what Buddhism seems to do with the self by reducing it to parts). It was interesting and does address the issue I had with people reducing people to “just” parts (a la that Huffpost article I saw).

Granted though I am still HAUNTED by that article I read about how “if Buddhism wasn’t true then………” but I can’t remember the rest of it or where I read it from. I can only get the gist of it in that if Buddhism is wrong then our current way of doing things is our only hope. The our worries are correct and we should cling to things. It’s still stuck in my head to this day because I can’t find it anywhere.

Xain
    Participant

Reality Isn’t What You Think

Plus I think this article negates the point being made by the physicist, in that it says that much of what we take to be reality is really just concepts. Every “thing” is just a collection of parts but having no true essence.

Xain
    Participant

As you can see it is different than something like Landmark because they actually have logic to back their claims.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

@snowcity

As you can see it is different than something like Landmark because they actually have logic to back their claims.

This is an impossible comparison, like apples and bricks.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 171 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.