Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

My short video project: "Without a Doubt"

Forums Forums General Discussion My short video project: "Without a Doubt"

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Xain
    Participant

Well the thing about Buddhism and schools of thought like it is that the logic behind it is hard to ignore. I mean sure there were many arguments in the past for the Existence of god: Watchmaker analogy, Pascal’s wager, etc, but these have all been shown to be faulty and easy to defeat.

But Buddhism and it’s ilk is harder because it’s rooted far more in human psychology. I can’t dismiss it like the Christian ones because at least the possibility of a god existing is easy to write off. But stuff like:

Yeah, it’s tough not to judge the lower stages. You really gotta grow into deep Yellow and Turquoise in order to be able to look upon Blue and the other stages without animosity. At Turquoise there is a deep realization that everything within reality is necessary and perfect. When you realize that, you see that every person is precisely where they must be. It makes no sense any longer to blame or criticize people for their ignorance because they know not what they do and they cannot help themselves.

The only way to attain peace for yourself is to totally drop all judgment of people and reality. And this can only happen by becoming conscious of the truth of nonduality. You have to realize that self/other are literally identical.

If you accomplish that, you will be left with unconditional love for all. You will see the world the way God sees it: perfect as it is.

One of the biggest obstacles to enlightenment is giving up all your judgments, demonizations, and criticisms of reality.

Imagine being unable to judge anyone or anything ever again. Such a notion scares most people. Unconditional love is very radical. The ego cannot stand it. It’s too dangerous from the ego’s perspective.

At the deepest levels of nonduality all action is pointless. You could just shoot yourself and it would be okay. It’s all perfect. Teaching is pointless of course. But in practice you will probably just carry on with life, for shits and giggles, and probably teach.

The world cannot be improved in any way at all. It is an Absolute singularity, and everything is already contained within it for eternity. But this is not something that can be explained, and it certainly sits outside of Spiral Dynamics so I don’t even talk about it. You will only discover this for yourself, at the very deepest levels of nondual consciousness. At which point, you will no longer need me or anyone else to guide you.

It’s based on this: http://www.cruxcatalyst.com/wp-conte…amic-image.jpg and this is the thread: https://www.actualized.org/forum/top…video-is-good/

Because it just sounds logical and I can’t help but see it as true even though I try my best to find what’s wrong with it. I don’t just write things off as nonsense. But lines like “necessary and perfect” can be supported by cause and effect.

Xain
    Participant

Or to put it in a quote: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/shunryu_suzuki_540088

“Everything is perfect and there is always room for improvement.”

TimB
    Participant

Xain, I think you just told a joke.  Nice.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

@snowcity

You really gotta grow into deep Yellow and Turquoise in order to be able to look upon Blue and the other stages without animosity….

We discussed Spiral Dynamics before. How do you see Spiral Dynamics confirming the truth of Buddhism, specifically? Here are Christians saying it proves the truth of  Christianity.*

[By the way — as an aside — I haven’t yet found evidence that Clare Graves, Don Beck and Chris Cowan were/are themselves Buddhists. If true, I wonder why the obvious truth of Buddhism didn’t hit them, given that Spiral Dynamics is their own model…?]

Next:

If you accomplish that, you will be left with unconditional love for all. You will see the world the way God sees it: perfect as it is.

But you questioned this, right? You posted recently asking if the world is perfect. (So did it not seem logical or obvious) to you?

Last, teachings on the importance of  “unconditional love,” and how to attain it, exist in most world religions and philosophies:

In short, Xain, is it possible we are talking about “truths,” but that they did not originate with Buddhism alone, and Buddhism alone does not teach them?

If so, then how could Buddhism be “the” truth?

Is it possible your your certainty about Buddhism comes down to confirmation bias?

A confirmation bias is a type of cognitive bias that involves favoring information that confirms your previously existing beliefs or biases.

____

*Apologies — something was funky with one or more of these URLs, so my post would not go through.  I had to do it this way. You can Google the titles.

Xain
    Participant

I can’t deny I have a bias to Buddhism but I was referring to how convincing the way they put it is. I can ignore the god bit but Buddhism has reason to be their stuff.

Same in regards to the self:

The arguments seem sound and convincing.

Xain
    Participant

Plus when it comes to “everything is necessary and perfect” it’s like yin and yang. You can’t have one without the other: good and evil, beauty and ugly, etc.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

Congratulations @snowcity,

This is to announce that out of anyone on the planet, you are the very best Yes-Butter of all time.

Xain
    Participant

It’s because while religions do share many traits the thing about Buddhism is the logic behind its arguments. It hasn’t been refuted unlike the watchmaker analogy and other arguments for god used by theists. And if you say the video you c am see their arguments about there being no self are solid too, but I don’t see atheists arguing them. Rather they go for the easy marks of other religions

Lausten
    Keymaster

Buddhism isn’t abusing as many children or trying to get their religion into science classes or trying to keep laws that discriminate against LGBT or rescind Roe v Wade.

TimB
    Participant

And some of their monks know Shaolin Kung Fu (or the milder Shaolin Wu Shu). You must snatch the pebbles from the master’s hand, Xain glosshoppa.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

@snowcity

Then, clearly, Xain, Buddhism is the truth.

What do you want from us?

TimB
    Participant

Glosshoppa,

Be like water.

Lausten
    Keymaster

The video says you can be what you want. That’s one of the things people here said here when you first showed up. Apparently you want to be the guy who keeps asking the same questions and deflecting the answers.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

Xain
    Participant

The video says you can be what you want. That’s one of the things people here said here when you first showed up. Apparently you want to be the guy who keeps asking the same questions and deflecting the answers.

The view isn’t saying that it’s saying there is no “what you want” there is no core you and that our minds are afraid of being without thinking or sense perception. Did you see the whole thing?

Another thing is that I don’t want to be right and don’t want Buddhism to be “it” but I have nothing to counter their claims. That’s why I said Buddhism is different from other religions and you can’t lump them with the rest.

Like in regards to no self, how you aren’t a separate and atomized individual existing in the world but the result of everything else in existence. The way I can phrase it is that you aren’t a video game character that was made and then thrust into some universe. Rather it’s as though reality is like clay and your “form” is just a molding of the clay, but you mistake that for being an entity when really it’s just a different form of what is already there.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 171 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.