Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

On Discussing the Self

Forums Forums General Discussion On Discussing the Self

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    3point14rat
    Participant

“Misery isn’t a choice.”

No one’s saying that enjoying life or being happy is completely within your power. But it is 100% in you power to want to be happy, and unless you want to be happy, you never will be.

I know people living in circumstances better than 99.99% of the rest of the human population will ever be able to experience, who complain endlessly about everything and are torture to be with. I also know people living in crushing circumstances who are happy and a blast to be around. The only difference is attitude.

Some choose equanimity and happiness, and some choose dissatisfaction and unhappiness. Guess what… both groups are successful in achieving their chosen mental state.

Lots has to do with inherent personality and specific circumstances. I don’t know your circumstances so I’m not telling you that you can be happy at the drop of a hat by wishing to be. I’m saying you need to want to be happy in order to find happiness.

So, do you want to be happy? (Be honest in your answer. I know people who revel in pity so much that they only pretend to want to be happy in order to get more pity. That’s a very self-destructive mind-set.)

Lausten
    Keymaster

Apparently you ‘mean’ something to us.

Imagine that.

I was going to respond to the book review, but this really sums it all up much better. I get a bit frustrated with the bugger now and then, but I wouldn’t do that if I didn’t care.

Xain
    Participant

I want to be happy but that is irrelevant to what IS, and as the block quote said what you guys are talking about is not normal and is only sought  by humans because of an imbalance in us.

Xain
    Participant

Also you’re better off responding to the actual review since that blurb doesn’t sum anything up

3point14rat
    Participant

Xain:
    I want to be happy but that is irrelevant to what IS, and as the block quote said what you guys are talking about is not normal and is only sought  by humans because of an imbalance in us.

I want to be happy…” – Excellent!

…but that is irrelevant to what IS…” – False. It is demonstrably true that we can be either happy or not happy by choice. Every happy person you know proves you wrong.

…and as the block quote said what you guys are talking about is not normal and is only sought  by humans because of an imbalance in us.” – Blah blah blah. Who gives a rat’s ass what some schmuck says about this stuff.

Maybe you should forget learning what gurus and philosopher wannabies have to say about all this irrelevant crap. Practically no one outside of keyboard warriors like us know or care about the stuff you obsess over, so it’s obviously not required to being able to live a fulfilling life (in fact I’d say you’re proof it prevents one from living a fulfilling life.)

Make a list of the things make you happy when you do them. Arrange the items in order of how easily/quickly they can be done with the easiest/quickest on top. Do the first one. Then do the second one. Then do the third one. Then do the fourth one. Then do the sixth one. Then go back and do the fifth one. (If “spending time worrying about whether things are real” or any other philosophical naval gazing is on the list, you didn’t understand the instructions.)

Misery isn’t a choice.

Okay you have a point, we are biochemical beings.

Your words are taking it way past our grade scale, time to turn to professionals.  One on one, not via Google.  Though there’s a lot of information there.

Brains, genes and chemical imbalances – how explanations of mental illness affect stigma
    July 8, 2014

https://theconversation.com/brains-genes-and-chemical-imbalances-how-explanations-of-mental-illness-affect-stigma-28324

The Medical Biochemistry of Poverty and Neglect
    Peter J Hotez

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4374519/

“Meaning is not even close to actual reality.”

At first I was “oh Pleazzee.”

So I reread it a few times, chewing on it so to speak.

I thought I’d ask you to explain it.

Then I finally realized that it’s a perfect example, of my whole Missing Key to NOMA thing.

There is Physical Reality, such as the fact that Earth created us, we are a transitory product of that Earth.

A very special one, but still . . .

We exist here because something very very special happened in this solar system and then on this planet in particular.

“We” is our individual and collective Human Mindscapes, experiencing the flood of incoming sensory information, as we go through our lives.

Physical Reality  v.  Mindscape

Meaning is not even close to actual reality!  You’re just pissed off that reality doesn’t care what you think.

Xian, I’ve asked you before have you ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig?

If you have what did you think?

If you haven’t, what are you waiting for?  🙂

Lausten
    Keymaster

“…and as the block quote said what you guys are talking about is not normal and is only sought  by humans because of an imbalance in us.” – Blah blah blah. Who gives a rat’s ass what some schmuck says about this stuff.

I read the part you put up here and it makes me not want to read any further. How could either the author or the reviewer know about the emotional or psychological state of human beings 10,000 years ago? We know they had a fight or flight response just like we do. It was more adaptive to their environment, so you could say there was a “balance”, but that means they were in situations where they really needed to fight or fly, often. The ones who survived, so the theory goes, were jumpier, they flew when the grass rustled, tiger or no tiger.

I guess the science is pretty good on how the agricultural revolution caused some weakening  of some kind, I don’t remember the details, but I do remember that once we adjusted to the different diet and different daily routines, we ended up healthier. Eventually, some people could do nothing but devote their days to how light works, or what those wandering stars are, and that led to us landing on the moon. We are becoming more a part of this universe, not out of balance with it.

Bob
    Participant

Xain, you might want to pick up a copy of Mad magazine.  The pre-2018 issues are collectible.

Or, you might want to start you own.  I suggest a title:  Worry and be Miserable, subtitled how to find joy in misery.

You could get rich and famous and be so happy that you’d be the most miserable guy in the world.

3point14rat
    Participant

Bob:  “Xain, you might want to pick up a copy of Mad magazine.  The pre-2018 issues are collectible.”

Ahhhh, Mad magazine.

I used to collect them in the 80’s and had a subscription for two years in the early 90’s (not a particularly good thing to mention to girls when you’re in college). I still have a few good sized boxes full of them. Around the late 90’s they got some new artists and the general quality seemed to drop, so I stopped buying them. It’s been a few decades since I even picked a new one up to flip through.

My all time favorite is “The Bedside Mad”. Genius level art and writing. If Einstein and Newton had a child it would probably never be allowed to read that book. But I did and I loved it.

Even if they’re valuable as collectors I don’t know if I could part with my old Mad magazines. My old Cracked magazines are totally open to the highest (or any) bidder, but not my Mad’s.

Xain
    Participant

You missed the point Rat. What IS is irrelevant to what I want or what makes me happy. In case you haven’t noticed, the link shows how much of what you are talking about isn’t normal and stems from an imbalance as a result of degraded child-rearing practices. Wanting to be happy pales in comparison to the facts as they are, which don’t really care about what I want.

And Lausten, this is the book where it came from if you want to know: http://www.fearofnature.com/wandering-god-berman

Lausten
    Keymaster

Xian,

I’m taking an EdX course. They talked about the differences in approach to understanding a human action. The simple example was, a wink. If you see a boy winking, and know who he is winking at, and what happened before that, and some things going on in his head, either assumed or if he tells you, then you understand why he did that. At least to some degree of understanding. OTOH, if you see a picture of a boy you don’t know who is winking, you don’t know if there was a reason for it. You could only comment on the position of his eyelid and the muscles involved. You could guess he has a speck of dust in there. What you do, and this is not uncommon, is reduce the understanding of a wink in context, down to the physical explanation. It’s reductionist.

You do this with whole cultures though. You read some pieced together quotes about changes that happened 10,000 years ago and think you found an explanation for all of your confusion and feelings about how odd the world is. You say that was “normal” and “balanced”, based on what? Many people have written on that. If one of them was right, I think more people would have resonated with it by now.

BTW, I saw this as a movie. Check it out if you can. http://www.fearofnature.com/neither-wolf-nor-dog-nerburn

BTWW, 3point is smarter than he gives himself credit for. Definitely worth considering his words.

3point14rat
    Participant

Hey! Where’d my post go? Pretty sure I put one here a while ago, Lausten even hinted at something I wrote in it in his last sentence.

Well that sucks. Maybe I’ll come back later when I have the time to write another.

Write4U
    Participant

As Anil Seth proposes; human cognition is the brain’s “best guess” of the meaning contained in the information which filters down through the senses.

This is why we experience optical and auditory illusions, where the brain receives information it does not quite know how to process and interpret.

It’s actually quite easy to make the brain switch back and forth. A remarkable flexibility of intuitive interpretation.

Move your eyes from one figure to the other and both dancers will switch their direction of turn.

It’s not the dancers that switch, its your brain that makes them switch. IOW, your brain is creating your reality from the inside out, not from the outside in.

Write4U
    Participant

3 point,

If your post disappears, try your page back arrow (upper left). Often the post appears posted. A little strange but satisfying when it works.

Wow is that binocular vision doing that thing to the brain?  Cool trick.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.