Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Petty petty little trump – decimating school nutrition standards

Forums Forums Politics and Social Issues Petty petty little trump – decimating school nutrition standards

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Mriana
    Keymaster

While lying is a sin, I’m sure they aren’t above trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes to meet their agenda. They want to reclaim the “7 Mountains”, which are government, religion, media, family, business, education, and arts and entertainment. Sarah Palin was/is one and so is Betsy Devo or whatever her name is. We would have Xian madrasas and destruction of the earth, as well as other animals. In short, it is Xian Sharia- government, education, etc and there’s been mention of forcing kids to pray in school (that’s a taste of it) and crap like “kneel to the cross and not to the national anthem” B.S. They want to be governed by the Bible or their version of it and everyone has to bow and coo to that version, even Lutherans, Episcopalians, and Catholics, who they don’t consider Xian, even though they are. I can find more if that’s not enough to comprehend what could happen under He Who Is Not Worth His Name.

Here’s a few links to give you an idea of the hell they would/could create:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/5-facts-about-dominionism_n_945601

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dominionism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_theology

TimB
    Participant

Well that is a scary thought that some wannabe theocrats are among the T rump loyalists.  OTOH, T rump will only be loyal to them, to the extent that it helps keep him in power.  But the only dominionism that he really cares about, is his own dominion over all.  If Jesus, at some point comes riding from the sky on a white stallion, I don’t think T rump will appreciate being upstaged.

Mriana
    Keymaster

They think he was sent by god, so that’s about as close as him having a dominion he will get, which maybe a long ways.

thatoneguy
    Participant

No the bigger insult is that my grandson and other kids won’t be getting the nutrition they need.

What about getting fed at home? If a kid doesn’t even have that then they have much bigger problems than missing out on fruit at school.

They health of a generation is just a joke to you. Awesome. #weredoomed

Crappy school lunches play very little role in the youth obesity epidemic.

Mriana
    Keymaster

Get fed at home during the noon hour? No kid is at home during the noon hour. They are in school. So you propose they skip lunch and only have breakfast and dinner, which would be at home for all kids? Nice. Kids don’t get lunch and go hungry until they get home at the end of the day, with no fruits, veggies, or anything else. That’s just cruel.

Lausten
    Keymaster

What about getting fed at home?

Conversations like this usually reveal prejudices quickly. The solutions to systemic societal problems are solved by the prejudice person because they imagine a poor hungry child simply going home and finding a warm kitchen filled with  caring people who understand their needs. They believe the stories of people reading by candle light, or riding their bicycle to the computer lab, or whatever hero’s journey someone went on, can apply to everyone, they just need to motivate themselves. I feel bad for people who think that way, and for all the people in their lives who contributed to who they are, but remain unappreciated.

TimB
    Participant

Are you suggesting that Oneguy has been positively effected in his life by some humanistic, empathic types, and he is just disregarding them?

thatoneguy
    Participant

Get fed at home during the noon hour? No kid is at home during the noon hour. They are in school. So you propose they skip lunch and only have breakfast and dinner, which would be at home for all kids? Nice. Kids don’t get lunch and go hungry until they get home at the end of the day, with no fruits, veggies, or anything else. That’s just cruel.

I mean it’s the parent’s responsibility to provide “nutrition”, not the school’s.  If parents are relying on schools to feed their kids they are unfit to even have kids living with them.

School lunches are just garbage they have to serve because it’s not feasible in today’s world for kids to go home in the middle of the day to eat. They don’t have to be that good for you.

thatoneguy
    Participant

Conversations like this usually reveal prejudices quickly. The solutions to systemic societal problems are solved by the prejudice person because they imagine a poor hungry child simply going home and finding a warm kitchen filled with  caring people who understand their needs. They believe the stories of people reading by candle light, or riding their bicycle to the computer lab, or whatever hero’s journey someone went on, can apply to everyone, they just need to motivate themselves. I feel bad for people who think that way, and for all the people in their lives who contributed to who they are, but remain unappreciated.

What a pile of bullshit. It’s the parent’s job to feed their kids. Not fucking complicated at all.

Sree
    Participant

You make a good dad, Oneguy.

Mriana
    Keymaster

I mean it’s the parent’s responsibility to provide “nutrition”, not the school’s. If parents are relying on schools to feed their kids they are unfit to even have kids living with them.

School lunches are just garbage they have to serve because it’s not feasible in today’s world for kids to go home in the middle of the day to eat. They don’t have to be that good for you.

Meals at school should be nutritious too, because it does no good to feed the kids junk and expect them to learn, as well as grow healthfully. The meals don’t have to be garbage.

Write4U
    Participant

thatoneguy said: What a pile of bullshit. It’s the parent’s job to feed their kids. Not fucking complicated at all.

Or else….what? Do you even realize what you are saying?

Let the kids starve, while they are trying to learn so that they can get a job and provide food for their kids? I hope you do know that poor nutrition is detrimental to learning.

FOOD
    840,310,404 Undernourished people in the world
    1,687,988,659 Overweight people in the world
    748,578,377 Obese people in the world
    3,914 People who died of hunger today
    $ 72,909,457 Money spent for obesity related
    diseases in the USA today
    $ 24,191,798 Money spent on weight loss
    programs in the USA today

https://www.worldometers.info/

In the richest country in the world, you would deny a meal to US school kids who someday must become bread-winners themselves?

You believe mankind should go back to the jungle and “survival of the fittest”,  in this case the “richest”? Is that your interpretation of Capitalism?

TimB
    Participant

I suspect that Oneguy is a good parent.  I think he’s just not a good humanist and that he doesn’t want to be. On the spectrum of loyalty to, and concern for, family, tribe, larger community, nation, world, I don’t think he goes all the way across. Family, I think, yes.  Tribe, I think, yes.  The larger community, I think, not so much. Nation, yes.  World, no.

Sree
    Participant

Based on your psychological profile assessment of Oneguy, I have to say he in pretty sane. The larger community in a conservative monolithic culture like China or Japan, is just a bigger version of the family. Chances are folks share the same values. In the US, all bets are off and it’s best to mind your own business when you are outside your neck of the woods. The nation is real to an American. The world is an idea.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Sree.
    TimB
    Participant

I have never questioned Oneguy’s sanity, just his humanity.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.