Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Policing

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    @lausten
    Keymaster

Plus their parents are the ones who keep society going.

That was a really interesting response oneguy. Not a word of it is backed up by data. Criminal activity is fairly equal across neighborhoods, it’s arrests that are different. I don’t know where you live, but I know who the criminals are around me. You have been told darker skin is a threat, and for some reason, you believe it.

@timb
    Participant

Black dysfunction is a far bigger threat to the communities it borders and that is the reason it requires a more harsh response.

And that is the essence of the message at the core of the racist ideology.

A message when taken at face value (and it is in the hearts and minds of a surprising number of people) perpetuates dysfunction, and harsh responses, and thus more dysfunction, and more harsh responses, on and on.  Til, here we are, in 2020, considering “defunding” the police.  Because reform after reform attempt was undermined by that belief.

400 years ago, there was a certain dysfunction known as slavery.  In the intervening years, that original dysfunction has morphed and moderated, but has never fully gone away.  And I suggest that is because some people cannot let go of the self fulfilling prophecy that “Black dysfunction is a far bigger threat to the communities it borders and that is the reason it requires a more harsh response.”

@mriana
    Keymaster

@thatoneguy

Black dysfunction is a far bigger threat to the communities it borders and that is the reason it requires a more harsh response.

So you’re saying black people still need the whipped cracked on their backs? Do you know the origin of the word “cracker”? It originates from “one who cracks the whip” and sometimes it was another slave who had to crack the whip. That alone probably screwed up their ancestors mentally and sadly this emotional/mental issue has been handed down, just as the issues caused by European Americans among Native Americans have been passed down from one generation to another. So you’re suggesting that because black people have dysfunction (probably no more than whites to be honest) they deserve more abuse, abuse by police, some of them black police officers? You’re suggesting that white people don’t have dysfunction that is a threat to communities and therefore be privileged to not be abused by police? Dude, that’s really messed up. What you are suggesting is perpetuating the mistreatment of an entire group of people based on skin colour, which only makes things worse for everyone. You’re saying that my sons are dysfunctional because you see them as all black and therefore need the crap knocked out of them just because you think their dysfunction, based on them being 1/2 black (all black in your mind) is a threat to your community. You can’t be serious. Why not just treat everyone like human beings, equal to each other? My sons are human beings, not a punching bag in which to perpetuate the abuses of your, or mine for that matter, ancestors and they are not dysfunctional because they are 1/2 black, but I’ll remember that when some white strung out junkie crosses my path and think, “Gee, thatoneguy thinks this white person’s dysfunction isn’t a threat to his community.” Boy, if I didn’t have self-control I’d be sounding like George Jefferson right now, even though I’m considered by your view- white.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Mriana.
    @sree
    Participant

Do you know the origin of the word “cracker”? It originates from “one who cracks the whip” and sometimes it was another slave who had to crack the whip.

Who told you that? I thought “cracker” is a term blacks use for whites on account of the color of the cracker. You know the kind we use to eat cheese with?

@mriana
    Keymaster

@sree it is that- a racial insult, not the saltine with cheese, and it’s origin is “one who cracks the whip”. Who do you think used the whip most often or had another slave crack the whip? Thus, cracker. Obviously you didn’t understand a word I said or you didn’t read it all, stuck on the origin of the word. Who told me that? Take a Black History college course and you’ll learn.

@thatoneguy
    Participant

Criminal activity is fairly equal across neighborhoods

Where did you hear that?  Statistics for neighborhoods nationwide aren’t available but if you look up the most diverse cities in the country there are big differences.

New York

@thatoneguy
    Participant

Philadelphia (My Hometown)

@thatoneguy
    Participant
    @thatoneguy
    Participant
    @thatoneguy
    Participant

So you’re saying black people still need the whipped cracked on their backs? Do you know the origin of the word “cracker”? It originates from “one who cracks the whip” and sometimes it was another slave who had to crack the whip. That alone probably screwed up their ancestors mentally and sadly this emotional/mental issue has been handed down, just as the issues caused by European Americans among Native Americans have been passed down from one generation to another. So you’re suggesting that because black people have dysfunction (probably no more than whites to be honest) they deserve more abuse, abuse by police, some of them black police officers? You’re suggesting that white people don’t have dysfunction that is a threat to communities and therefore be privileged to not be abused by police? Dude, that’s really messed up. What you are suggesting is perpetuating the mistreatment of an entire group of people based on skin colour, which only makes things worse for everyone. You’re saying that my sons are dysfunctional because you see them as all black and therefore need the crap knocked out of them just because you think their dysfunction, based on them being 1/2 black (all black in your mind) is a threat to your community. You can’t be serious. Why not just treat everyone like human beings, equal to each other? My sons are human beings, not a punching bag in which to perpetuate the abuses of your, or mine for that matter, ancestors and they are not dysfunctional because they are 1/2 black, but I’ll remember that when some white strung out junkie crosses my path and think, “Gee, thatoneguy thinks this white person’s dysfunction isn’t a threat to his community.” Boy, if I didn’t have self-control I’d be sounding like George Jefferson right now, even though I’m considered by your view- white.

Yeah, diversity is trouble.

@mriana
    Keymaster

@thatoneguy Diversity is NOT trouble. The problem is we don’t have diversity. We need to learn about each other from each other, not beat people because they are black. As I said, my sons are not dysfunctional because they are 1/2 black and no one has the right to beat them to death for any reason. Geo Floyd didn’t deserve what happened to him, yet you believe he did because he was black and therefore dysfunctional and yet that white guy strung out on heroin isn’t because he’s white. The white druggie isn’t a threat to your neighbourhood, but a black man is even if he isn’t on drugs. That is some really racist crap, but you know what, I’m not going to ban you because you’re racist. I’m not going to warn you either. I am going to try and educate you though. Diversity is a beautiful thing and Black is also beautiful.

Do have a question to ask you… Do you think this is dysfunctional? Do you think it’s a threat? Do you see it as trouble?

https://thekingcenter.org/king-philosophy/ (this is just a summery and you can read it all via the link)

The King Philosophy
    TRIPLE EVILS

The Triple Evils of POVERTY, RACISM and MILITARISM are forms of violence that exist in a vicious cycle. They are interrelated, all-inclusive, and stand as barriers to our living in the Beloved Community. When we work to remedy one evil, we affect all evils. To work against the Triple Evils, you must develop a nonviolent frame of mind as described in the “Six Principles of Nonviolence” and use the Kingian model for social action outlined in the “Six Steps for Nonviolent Social Change.”

SIX PRINCIPLES OF NONVIOLENCE

Fundamental tenets of Dr. King’s philosophy of nonviolence described in his first book, Stride Toward Freedom. The six principles include:

PRINCIPLE ONE: Nonviolence is a way of life for courageous people.
    PRINCIPLE TWO: Nonviolence seeks to win friendship and understanding.
    PRINCIPLE THREE: Nonviolence seeks to defeat injustice not people.
    PRINCIPLE FOUR: Nonviolence holds that suffering can educate and transform.
    PRINCIPLE FIVE: Nonviolence chooses love instead of hate.
    PRINCIPLE SIX: Nonviolence believes that the universe is on the side of justice.

There are also six steps to non-violent social change in the King philosophy, which you can read about on site.

For Dr. King, The Beloved Community was not a lofty utopian goal to be confused with the rapturous image of the Peaceable Kingdom, in which lions and lambs coexist in idyllic harmony. Rather, The Beloved Community was for him a realistic, achievable goal that could be attained by a critical mass of people committed to and trained in the philosophy and methods of nonviolence.

Dr. King’s Beloved Community is a global vision, in which all people can share in the wealth of the earth. In the Beloved Community, poverty, hunger and homelessness will not be tolerated because international standards of human decency will not allow it. Racism and all forms of discrimination, bigotry and prejudice will be replaced by an all-inclusive spirit of sisterhood and brotherhood. In the Beloved Community, international disputes will be resolved by peaceful conflict-resolution and reconciliation of adversaries, instead of military power. Love and trust will triumph over fear and hatred. Peace with justice will prevail over war and military conflict.

Dr. King’s Beloved Community was not devoid of interpersonal, group or international conflict. Instead he recognized that conflict was an inevitable part of human experience. But he believed that conflicts could be resolved peacefully and adversaries could be reconciled through a mutual, determined commitment to nonviolence.

IMHO, Dr. King’s vision was not much different from Gene Roddenberry’s. The only difference between the two men was one was a humanist (Gene) and the other was a minister (King).

Gene’s view was basically IDIC- Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. That wasn’t just something in the show, that was and is part of the Roddenberry Philosophy. It was and is a way of life for the Roddenberrys (their son Rod is still alive). I do not believe diversity is trouble, especially when I look at my sons who have grown to be handsome young men.

Both men were great men and when Nichelle Nichols was thinking of quitting Star Trek, MLK Jr was visiting the set and told her she couldn’t quit.

Do you see any dysfunction in any of that? I don’t see any dysfunction at all. It’s all very humanistic. IMHO, both men were humanistic, even though they were not both humanist.

@sree
    Participant

Yeah, diversity is trouble.

Looks like we have to live with it. Blacks were brought here by the Brits and French. Mexicans were already in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Hispanics seem content with the status quo and have no gripes with the gringos. Seems like we have spent trillions since the sixties to do everything we could for the black minority including making one the President. We are now literally brought to our knees. It’s never enough.

@mriana
    Keymaster

I do love the Roddenberrys

I don’t care how many times Nichelle tells that story, it still makes me smile. Star Trek, the Roddenberrys, and MLK Jr. A wonderful example of IDIC.

@mriana
    Keymaster

@sree

Looks like we have to live with it. Blacks were brought here by the Brits and French. Mexicans were already in California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Hispanics seem content with the status quo and have no gripes with the gringos. Seems like we have spent trillions since the sixties to do everything we could for the black minority including making one the President. We are now literally brought to our knees. It’s never enough.

Yes, you do have to live with it. I do live with it. The United States was stolen from Native Americans who were also already here. The Europeans stole this land by conquering those who already lived here and attempted to force them to accept white ways by kidding Native children, placing them in Carlisle schools, beating them every time they spoke their native tongue, forced them to cut their hair (if they were boys), gave them blankets with smallpox to kill them (as well as used other forms of genocide on them) and forced the White man’s religion on them. The U.S. and Hitler were probably nip and tuck with genocide. The white man took black people from their home in Africa (with the help of various African governments), beat them, mutilated them, raped the women, took their children from them (“sold them down the river”), dehumanized them, and forced the white man’s religion on them. Later, segregation, lynching, Jim Crow, and laws against interracial marriage. Now there is a dysfunction for you and it wasn’t Native Americans or Black people’s dysfunction. I could continue, but you get the jest of it. All of this contributed to trauma that became what is called generational trauma. Yes, generational trauma is a thing and this was caused by the White man.

So yeah, you’re stuck with all sorts of minorities as well as “half breeds/mulattoes”, “quadroons”, “octoroons”, “those who pass”, and those “who are white as snow”. I say get use to it, because there will probably be a whole lot more and yes, I do think they are the most beautiful children in the world, but I’m biased in favour of my children and grandson.

I don’t even know what you mean by “it’s never enough”. I think everyone has the right to marry who they love and have children with that person. I think everyone has the right to not to suffer from police brutality or be killed by police (if they aren’t trying to kill the police). I think everyone has the right to walk down the street without someone thinking they are up to something that’s not good. I think everyone is entitled to the best education possible, no matter the colour of their skin. I think everyone has the right to the same services at the same places as everyone else. I think everyone is entitled to the best medical care we have. I think everyone is entitled to human rights and to be treated humanely, as well as like a human being. These protests are more than just about police brutality. We came so far and then we regressed. So yeah, we regress, so it’s not enough. The equality became the 1% and greedy corporation v everyone else. No, the 1% nor the greed corporation do not need all the money and the dotard should not be a dic[tator] nor shall any of them use military force on U.S. citizens.

That said, my sons’ lives matter. Black Lives Matter and no one has the right to beat them to death just because they are black and considered “dysfunctional”, because white people are just as dysfunctional too, especially if they think black people need harsher treatment. That’s is racist BS.

I start the video because Jane Elliot asks an important question in that section, which I ask you @sree and @thatoneguy : “I want to know why you’re so willing to accept it or allow it for others?”

@mriana
    Keymaster

Jane Elliot found out via a third grade lesson and I learned because my family is multi-racial. I don’t have to do the exercise, I’ve lived it, but I still hold my head high and I’m still proud to have a mixed family. There is one race, the human race. More from Jane Elliot:

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.