Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Policing

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    @mriana
    Keymaster

This video relates to the topic of Policing and it’s Neil DeGrasse Tyson’s stories of being stopped by police. He’s a famous man, a famous scientist, but that’s not what the police see, apparently. Have a listen:

@mriana
    Keymaster

LeVar Burton and colleagues experience with police and like the one guy’s reply to his girlfriend, “Hello! Welcome to my world.” IMHO that was the best reply to anyone who’s experienced it the first time. Want to see an annoyed white male cop, who gets your heart pounding hard in fear? Be a white person riding in a car with a black person, especially if the black person is in the driver’s seat or a mother of biracial sons. Walk down the street as a white mother with a “black” baby and watch a white male verbally attack you. You’re very lucky if a verbal attack is all that happens. So I ask you the same questions as Elliot asked the people listening to her lecture. Would you want that treatment? Then why do you allow it to happen to others?

@sree
    Participant

@mriana

Since you mentioned me, I felt obligated to find out what Jane Elliot from Riceville, Iowa (pop. 800) has to say. After watching her 9 minute video I didn’t think I could sit through more of her. She reminded me of this waitress from another small town in Texas.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Jane Elliot from Riceville, Iowa

A good start. A bit elementary though. This is a little more modern and grown-up.

I’m not even sure what the “zero” is, but let’s look at deaths by cops in a year. Why is the US so high on this list? India has way more people and they are way below us. I see lots of “diversity” below us, so it doesn’t fit oneguy’s narrative. Is it asking too much to cut our numbers in half? And put us below Pakistan?

@mriana
    Keymaster

@lausten

Jane Elliot from Riceville, Iowa

A good start. A bit elementary though.

Maybe, but look at my target audience.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Here’s what it means to defund the police:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/06/07/defund-police-heres-what-that-really-means/

This second link is a podcast and the topic is towards the beginning of the podcast. Biden had a lot to do with the current policing situation and probably why he doesn’t want to “defund” the police. However, defunding the police doesn’t literally mean “defund the police”.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/podcasts/post-reports/what-it-means-to-defund-the-police/

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.