Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

spams

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mriana 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

TimB
    Participant

There seem to be a lot of marketing spam posts on the forums, at the moment.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  dougsmith. Reason: Wrong folder
    • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  dougsmith. Reason: Wrong folder

Mriana
    Keymaster

Yeah, I just started a discussion in the administration area about it, asking what we can do about it, because it seems like with this new set up, we have a whole lot more than we did before. We have more spam than actual discussion. Not sure how we can combat it, but maybe we can slow it down, if nothing else.

dougsmith
    Keymaster

Frustrating. Spam is an eternal scourge.

LoisL
    Participant

I have one answer as to why we have so little discussion on CFIForums. It’s a pain to access. I am on several other Internet forums and every one sends me posts by email which I can respond to by email, instead of signing in to the website. I can’t tell you the number of times I have received a copy of a post from CFIForums  (because I have checked the “notify me” box) and I start responding by email as I do with my other blogs. It’s really frustrating to have to go to the website to make comments, and more often than not, it’s too much trouble and I just skip it. The spammers don’t seem to have any problem with it, however,

Mriana
    Keymaster

I agree, the system is a little outdated, as well as more difficult to use, and IMHO the old system was better. There are other forums much easier to use, though I never tried emailing my reply. Why the designer went with this format when there are better ones out there, I have no idea. Maybe it was cost or maybe it is what the new website hosting service had to offer.

LoisL
    Participant

As far as I can remember, over the past 5 years or so, CFI Forums has never allowed responding by email and has required that all discussions be held on the website. CFiForums is using the same hosting service it has always used and, IMO, a lot of people are put off by it. I’m reluctant to suggest it to anyone because it would require so much  explanation about how to use it.  People are used to the way Google and Yahoo groups operate and most are not willing to learn a completely different system, a clunky one at that.

Mriana
    Keymaster

I’m still on many Yahoo groups and like it a lot, but I also like forums where I can read the whole conversation on one page. To be honest, those that you can read on one page, some are better than others. I have a Star Trek Voyager forum that operates a little better and even looks… well let’s say Star Trek-ish, rather than use the word better. There isn’t an issue with spam, but I don’t moderate that forum- a late friend of mine did. I did moderate another Star Trek forum and it was awesome in many ways, including lack of spam and even bots. I say “was” because the owner shut it down just before he died of cancer, so I don’t moderate that anymore. So I know forums can be better than this one is and they don’t have to be email one like Yahoo groups either.

3point14rat
    Participant

I use no other forums, so this one is my ‘normal’. I have been on a very few others over the decades, but they were so long ago that I neither remember which ones nor what they were like.

Looks like I’m fortunate to be so unconnected and limited in my exposure to social media- without knowing how good the others are I don’t miss the ways they are better.

LoisL said: “I’m reluctant to suggest it to anyone because it would require so much  explanation about how to use it.  People are used to the way Google and Yahoo groups operate and most are not willing to learn a completely different system, a clunky one at that.”

This is the most basic system I can imagine. Do you really think anyone would need instructions on how to navigate and participate in this place? In what way(s) are the others different that make instructions necessary?

Lausten
    Participant

In my one brief tour as a forum admin, I was attacked by Russians selling heavy equipment and travel information. I am not making up that up. It started slow and picked up speed, then I logged in one day and the site didn’t load. It was just for a few friends, and they had already lost interest, so I gave up. I have a ton of sympathy for anyone who attempts this.

dougsmith
    Keymaster

Yes it can be really, really annoying. My apologies but us volunteers are well down on the totem pole here. We do what we can.

LoisL
    Participant

Yes, if they’re used to having the choice of participating by email. I find CFI Forums unnecessarily difficult  to navigate, even on the website.

LoisL
    Participant

I know, Doug. My complaints are not directed to you. It’s the people who make the decisions about website design. You’ve always done a good job.

Mriana
    Keymaster

Try looking and poking around the forum to see if you get get to know it. Maybe it will get easier to navigate for you. In the meantime, maybe we mods can put our heads together and see if we can figure out how to prevent some of the spam that’s ends up being posted. Not sure what we can do, but I’d like to try to see what we can do.

LoisL
    Participant

I have figured it out, Mriania. It just seems unnecessarily complicated. I assume it must be difficult for new members.

Mriana
    Keymaster

I don’t disagree, but as Doug said, we mods don’t a say in the format of the forum.  However, as I said, there are forums that navigate better and have less spam, but sadly, we are stuck with this one.  I also think the fact this forum is harder to navigate and the increase in spam has caused actual conversations, as well as actual membership to decline, but that [observational] statistic doesn’t seem to phase anyone in the decision making process.  I think they are more concerned with the main site than interaction and long time members of the forum, who stay, are left to figure out the forum, while new real membership is in sharp decline.  That’s my observation at least.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.