Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Support for those debilitated by anomalistic experiences like synchronicity/esp

Forums Forums Pseudoscience and the Paranormal Support for those debilitated by anomalistic experiences like synchronicity/esp

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jewlee Iblis 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Dan
    Participant

Hi All,

Today I was researching into synchronicities and mental illnesses and there I came across with this forum. I think I have a lot to share with you. I faced extremely high number of synchronicities out of the blue and that made me end up in having various erroneous conclusions. I found out that these erroneous conclusions that I had is exactly similar to schizophrenia patients. It was like I had a virtual reality scenario of schizophrenia. This is my story. It’s a long story but if some of you get a chance to read my story, we could certain discuss this in detail and I’m looking forward to it since I think this will help another individual one day.

https://theultimatedisclosure.com/2019/06/09/the-deceptive-nature-of-synchronicities-has-a-story-to-tell-us-about-our-world-schizophrenia-and-our-delusions/

Have a nice day!
    Dan

Patrick D
    Participant

Sorry, not reading all that; not that interested in the topic.

The pioneering psychologist Carl Jung opened a bag of woo when he coined the term ‘synchronicity’ to describe what he saw as meaningful coincidence. An atheist, Jung also believed in ESP and poltergeists. He wrote a book about what the called “an acausal connecting  principle” . Jung was a brilliant  man, but he could also be very wrong headed.My position is a coincidence is just that;  a coincidence. There is no special meaning. How on earth do you prove such a thing? Keep in mind that a thing is not true simply because  it cannot be disproved.

I’m aware  of some of the obsessions of schizophrenics . I’m truly sorry for the suffering they endure.Paranoid schizophrenics often ascribe meaning to meaningless data and occurrences.

There are some simpler, saner explanations:

Probability theory is one, it’s called “the law of large numbers” (see below)

Psychology also has an explanation; conformation bias, and apophemia. (see below)

I’m not saying you’re wrong and I’m right.  I don’t claim truth. You may well be right. Right now, I think the explanations I’ve given are more rational and more likely to be right.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((90))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Probability (arguably)

“Mainstream mathematics argues that statistics and probability theory (exemplified in, e.g., Littlewood’s law or the law of truly large numbers) suffice to explain any purported synchronistic events as mere coincidences.[9][24] The law of truly large numbers, for instance, states that in large enough populations, any strange event is arbitrarily likely to happen by mere chance. However, some proponents of synchronicity question whether it is even sensible in principle to try to evaluate synchronicity statistically. Jung himself and von Franz argued that statistics work precisely by ignoring what is unique about the individual case, whereas synchronicity tries to investigate that uniqueness.”

Psychology

“”In psychology and cognitive science, confirmation bias is a tendency to search for or interpret new information in a way that confirms one’s preconceptions, and avoids information and interpretations that contradict prior beliefs. It is a type of cognitive bias and represents an error of inductive inference, or is a form of selection bias toward confirmation of the hypothesis under study, or disconfirmation of an alternative hypothesis. Confirmation bias is of interest in the teaching of critical thinking, as the skill is misused if rigorous critical scrutiny is applied only to evidence that challenges a preconceived idea, but not to evidence that supports it.[26]

Likewise, in psychology and sociology, the term apophenia is used for the mistaken detection of a pattern or meaning in random or meaningless data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

TimB
    Participant

PD passed on this: “The law of truly large numbers, for instance, states that in large enough populations, any strange event is arbitrarily likely to happen by mere chance. However, some proponents of synchronicity question whether it is even sensible in principle to try to evaluate synchronicity statistically. Jung himself and von Franz argued that statistics work precisely by ignoring what is unique about the individual case, whereas synchronicity tries to investigate that uniqueness.”

TimB says:  Here is what is wrong about the above statement:  The law of truly large numbers should not be seen as the truly large population of people, but rather the truly large number of events that an individual can potentially be aware ofHence, because an astute individual can potentially be aware of an extraordinarily large number of events upon which to focus, out of that truly large number, he may selectively focus on events that happen to relate to each other unexpectedly.

Patrick D
    Participant

TimB says: ” Here is what is wrong about the above statement:  The law of truly large numbers should not be seen as the truly large population of people, but rather the truly large number of events that an individual can potentially be aware of.  Hence, because an astute individual can potentially be aware of an extraordinarily large number of events upon which to focus, out of that truly large number, he may selectively focus on events that happen to relate to each other unexpectedly.”

Thanks for that. I’m not a math’s person; it sounded Ok to me,(onWiki)  but I’ll accept your correction as probably a more reliable source.

What do you think of apophemia? I’ve been aware of that, and pareidolia for some time. Both explanations make sense to me,.At least more than the notion of meaningful coincidences and Jesus on a piece of toast.

Dan
    Participant

Hi Jay,

I thought of copying the reply that I made to your comment here, so others could also participate if they actually read the article. By the way everyone, sorry without you reading the article we will not be able to have a fruitful discussion that will benefit another individual who goes through similar experiences. That said, this is the reply that I made to Jay on my website:

“After I come out of my false conclusions, I learned a very important lesson and the lesson is “depend on the way these synchronicities get manifested to an observer, an observer would make different erroneous conclusions depend on their knowledge, depending on their beliefs, depend on their critical thinking ability, etc.. ”

And I also understood the importance of having the right view and I understood that ignoring important data (due to trust issues, seeing as not important, etc..), not being able to understand the available data, not having enough data, will create delusions in our minds.

This is something that I clearly see in Kirby. He hasn’t researched into these experiences that much yet he had come to a conclusion because of his own experience mainly or he has missed certain important synchronicities or he hasn’t analyzed the synchronicities critically that are occurring to human beings on a daily basis. I was having a normal life and I didn’t know that these are synchronicities either, until I came to an understanding that human thoughts are being affected to such an extent fooling me to believe that they respond to my thoughts and my activities just like they were monitoring me. In other words, my friends, scriptwriters, people who work for corporates responded me just like they were observing and monitoring me as a group. I had no control of this as Kirby believe even up to this day. Although I believed that people who work for Facebook, Bloomberg, Guardian, Microsoft knew me, I have no clue their whereabouts either. I never imagined writing scripts for myself either in an extremely negative way to depress me. I’m not a person who thinks negatively about life. Then finally, I got attacked by high-frequency tones as well and at the same time, the theme of synchronicities changed to give me death threats. I had experiences that are similar to people who claim themselves as “Targeted Individuals” too, although most of my experiences were similar to that of schizophrenics. The following article is about Gangstalking phenomenon and again this false conclusion is due to high number synchronicities only.

The Ultimate Secrets Behind the Gang-Stalking Exposed!

I read so many stories related to synchronicities because of my experience and I understand that synchronicities have fooled human beings to believe in God communicating with them since these synchronicities occurred in a positive way. Then I also saw negative synchronicities. For certain individual’s positive synchronicities made them believe that they have control over their synchronicities. Kirby has fallen to this erroneous conclusion. In my case, synchronicities are the one who made the decision when it wanted to interact with me. When I remove certain friends to avoid having conflicts(due to synchronicities), synchronicities suddenly started occurring with friends who are in touch with me just to attack me negatively. Because of so many experiences like this, I had to conclude this phenomenon as intelligence and it shows decision-making capabilities. It could fool a person in a positive or negative way and sometimes giving a false belief that they have control over it.

Regarding the floating experience, I wouldn’t be mentioning that if I didn’t know what happened to me. If I have an issue with my observations and analysis, it would have been impossible for me to come out of my erroneous conclusions”

Philosophicus
    Participant

Jay,

I have those symptoms you have. I’m schizoaffective, and I get those weird abnormal coincidences too, among a lot of other weird phenomena. I can’t tell if they’re real or I’m just out of touch with reality. The thing is, whenever the doctor increases my medication, the phenomena decrease. That could mean that a chemical imbalance is causing it or my brain is extra sensitive to reality. I don’t know which is true, but I tend to trust psychiatry.

Philosophicus

Jay
    Participant

I need to edit my original post but it doesn’t allow it. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

LoisL
    Participant

Reply  to your own original post and edit it. I don’t see any other way to do it.

If you edit it soon after posting, there is an edit button on the top right, but it disappears after a while. You also might try writing to the “Issues and Feedback” forum.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  LoisL.

Jewlee Iblis
    Participant

You are NOT mentally ill… your  synchronicity‘s are truth experiences. It’s the universe speaking to you. You are awake, enlightened! Embrace it. I get them all the time. I’ll be thinking of something then suddenly a song comes on the radio coinciding with my thoughts then suddenly I’ll see a bill board that Synchronizes with the song on the radio and the thoughts in my head… And then immediately after the third synchronicity, I’m seeing a license plate, then the side of a semi truck has the same message that I’m hearing in the radio & that I see on a billboard… this happens to me all day every day. You need to start meditating and concentrating on your chakras to spin them. You need to read about astral projection, kundalini awakening and the sacred secretion. Then read the Emerald Tablets. I listen to YouTube audio books. Get rid of fear and doubt because it affects the law of attraction. Listen to Santos Bonacci explain the occult secrets of the as above, so below and as with in so with out… do not believe the professionals who debunk you experiences by calling you mentally ill … we are pure light energy beings. Entertaining cannot be created not destroyed… only transferred! So that means we’ve been here before but in a different bodily experience. Hindus believe in reincarnation so did the Ancient Egyptians … every song on the radio sings about astral projection. Believe in your own truth… it’s a feeling! Research the Nag Hammati Library and listen audio books on Gnosis and Hermetic teachings… start doing Vim Hoff berating techniques… you’re not alone, you’re part of the 1% of the population that’s waking up… good luck in your Enlightenment.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.