Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

The big question

Forums Forums Humanism The big question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    @lausten
    Keymaster

One of the big things theists try to use against atheism is how we deal with death. I wish they could all meet my mother. She went to church for 8 hours a week when she was a child and now she is an atheist. She doesn’t argue with theists and her family has not disowned her. We always talk about her dying when we visit and this time she had a little card with all her important papers that I’ll need when that happens. It said, “funerals are for the living”. She told us to do whatever we want. She’s awesome.

@mriana
    Keymaster

My mother know I’m an atheist, but is in denial and believes, despite me coming out to her as a non-believer, that I still believe. She doesn’t want to admit to herself that I don’t believe because that means if I don’t believe she will not see me in heaven. Therefore, she has to believe I and my sons are believers or it causes her to lose it due to the belief she will never see us again and we’d be burning in hell. Yes, it’s insane and sounds like bizarre reasoning that spins in circles, but that’s religion. IMHO, the religious do not deal with death very well, because they must believe there is an afterlife and that everyone they love will be there, lest they don’t believe, then they burn in hell for eternity. To me, that is an inability to face the fact that when we die, that is it and it’s just like before were born. They are too terrified to admit there is nothing more after we die.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Matt Dillahunty made peace with his mother by telling her that if she was in heaven and saw her son burning in hell, or just knew he was there, and did nothing about it, then to him, that would no longer be his mother. That would be some person who changed in some way upon arriving in heaven. So, he told her, it’s okay, that he can accept that both of them will have something afterlife (which will be nothing for him), but they won’t have a mother/son relationship. I don’t think that conversation would work with all mothers though.

@mriana
    Keymaster

No, I don’t think it would work with all mother’s either. It maybe worth a try, but I can see it being like, “then we don’t have a relationship now”, but I don’t see my mother believing that.

@write4u
    Participant

As Anil Seth concludes his lectures. “When the end comes there is nothing to be afraid of…..nothing at all”.

It said,

“funerals are for the living”.

She told us to do whatever we want. She’s awesome.

Truer words were never spoken!

Behind every great man, there is a great mom.

(not necessarily biological!)

I had to toss that in since I’m a step-dad and realize there’s more to being a parent than blood.

Though the blood part is cool too, it’s the love and the commitment that matters.

When I was young I used to do power naps 1/4-1/2 hour.  Now that I’m getting old I like real naps, deep sound sleep.  I’m about as sure as I can be of anything that, that awaits me when a die.  A deep eternal sleep I never wake from.  Seems pretty simple and easy.           😉

@mriana
    Keymaster

@citizenschallengev3

Though the blood part is cool too, it’s the love and the commitment that matters.

My sons can tell you that too. They know it’s the love and commitment that matters too.

…   and it’s among the best feeling we can have bounding around within our hearts.

I think your boys are lucky to have you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.