Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

The Cambrian explosion

Forums Forums Science and Technology The Cambrian explosion

This topic contains 108 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  3point14rat 1 day, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • Author

Have you seen the book: Ancient Landscapes of the Colorado Plateau by Ron Blakey and Wayne Ranney?  Not exactly your territory but their maps do include that area.  Here have a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toJDBi-WqFo

How about Nick Zenter, you familiar with him?  He specializes in Washington state geology – one of the best lectures I’ve listened to.

Nick Zentner – central washington university  –   he’s done dozens of videos over the years, haven’t seen a bomb yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcreTTI9Rew

3point14rat
    Participant

Vacation was fine. Visited my cousin and friends. Kelowna is usually scorching hot and sunny, but it was only in the low 20’s (Celsius) and partly overcast when we were there.

Stayed at a very quaint and comfy B&B in Mara BC, on the way to our friends place in Kelowna. Owners were amazing hosts and keep their property worthy of a gardening magazine cover. They’re super smart (one’s a retired teacher and the other an retired engineer) but they both believe the earth is only 6000 years old and evolution is completely false (the husband actually uttered the question, “Why are there still monkeys if we evolved from monkeys?” I graciously held my tongue and we carried on to other topics.

We went on a few very small walks (400 to 600 meters on elevated boardwalks) in Revelstoke National Park. The forests there are look like they’re from a fantasy novel- giant trunks evenly spaced about 10 to 20 meters apart with little undergrowth (think Lothlorien from LotR). It’s so different from our paltry Alberta prairie forests, that if I had never experienced it first hand and saw those settings in a movie, I’d say it was fake.

I dreamed of stopping and letting the family carry on without me each time we drove past Field. Maybe next year I’ll sign up for the guided hike to the Burgess Shale.

Well… back to work.

I looked up Kelowna on Google Maps, i did realize there were so many lakes, reservoirs, looks like a beautiful area.  If i get to where I can do any more serious traveling my dream is, get a nice van, or very small camper, and drive up the central Rockies, then migrate to the Pacific coast and return that way.  I could be done in weeks although months would be much more fun.

I can appreciate walking away from a debate with your host – pick your battles.  I see myself doing that with friends and family regarding global warming science.  Although given where my thoughts are these days I’d be tempted to gently question him, not so much to confront or debate, but to see if I could figure out more about the How and Why they manage holding such a belief  –  and more importantly what makes the person need to believe such an obvious fairly tale?

From conversations I’ve had with some in the past, what I’ve come up with is, a need for personal certitude, even if it’s a false notion.  Beyond that, beats me.

Good luck with the work, hope you at least enjoy it.

Thank for getting me to look at that map of BC closer, as Spock would say: ‘fascinating’.

3point14rat
    Participant

I haven’t traveled much, not even within Canada, but I’m very fortunate that where I do travel is some of the most beautiful natural scenery on earth.

You will not be disappointed with a vacation through the Canadian Rockies and through the foothills of Alberta and into the interior of BC.

As for the religious views of my host, he is in his late 60’s and is very intelligent, so if he hasn’t been open to learning about that area of human knowledge up until now, I don’t think anything I say will make a difference. Maybe if we were booked in for a few more nights and I could spend a few hours talking to him, it might have become a more serious topic, but we were hitting the road, so starting on that topic would be impossible.

Viewing 4 posts - 106 through 109 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.