Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

The Cosmic Joke

Forums Forums Philosophy The Cosmic Joke

This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  TimB 4 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Lausten
    Participant

I’m surprised Frankl’s work is not more widely known. It is one of the most practical applications of the search for meaning I’ve ever seen, and I kinda go searching for that stuff. Somehow I managed to miss it until just recently. It was my niece, she is taking a graduate course in psychology that uses Frankl’s ideas as a basis for therapy.

Xain
    Participant

I mean there is a thinker, in a sense and there is something that believes. What’s sad is thinking there is some cosmic joke.

Here’s a different but much more simple quote that much more my way of looking at things.

I wonder why. I wonder why.
    I wonder why I wonder.
    I wonder why I wonder why.
    I wonder why I wonder!

Richard Feynman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrA3zqDjZ5Q

I had to come back read this again, fun discussion all the way around, good comments.

I think the key is just not taking ourselves too seriously.  I myself think the Cosmic Joke is alive and well.  Tony Hillerman tells us about a Navajo thing: Coyote Waits fundamentally, don’t get too smug, because the universe (coyote) is out there waiting to fuk with you when you least expect it.

But seriously, humor is where you find it, –  this one’s hard to explain –  walking in the woods getting lost in grandiose thoughts, then tripping or walking into branch or some such Act of God reality smack-down.  That’s a Cosmic Giggle to me.  Or a string of, of course totally random, events that unfold into incredible situations.     It’s all in our heads, if you want to have a personal experience of the universe, it has a great sense of humor, smacks one upside the head right and left, in rhythm to what’ happening in our lives, I know.

We just love making everything more complicated than it need to be.   Hope you don’t mind me tossing this one into the ring again.  😉

Which brings me back to Gould’s NOMA and his missing key.

The missing key is appreciating the fundamental “Magisteria of Physical Reality,” –

and recognizing that both science and religion are products of the “Magisteria of Our Human Mindscape.”

Science seeks to objectively learn about our physical world, but we should still recognize all our understanding is embedded within and constrained by our brain’s mindscape.

Religion is all about the human mindscape itself, with its wonderful struggles, fears, spiritual undercurrents, needs and stories we create to give our live’s meaning and make it worth living, or at least bearable.

As for acceptance of death, I’m 64 and i watched my mom into her 90s watching her own body fail with no hope of reprieve, it’s like lets get there already – she was ready for death and the long sleep – I fully relate with what Patrick wrote.  We get old and worn out, when sleep becomes more appealing that getting up and around, then you know your turn is about up.  It’s okay.

TimB
    Participant

I hope you’re not planning on checking out soon, CC.  Our world would be less without your persistent voice of reason.

Considering I often think I’m just a nuisance around here,

Thank you.

Lausten
    Participant

If I don’t respond to a post of your’s CC, it’s not that I don’t care about it, it’s usually that it’s a lot to a absorb and I want to spend some time thinking about it before responding. Then I get sucked into an argument with some drug addict or something.

TimB
    Participant

If I don’t respond to a particular post of yours, CC, it is probably, usually, because I think that it is sufficient to itself without further comment or questions.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.