Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

UFOs

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Advocatus 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

LoisL
    Participant

LoisL
    Participant

Barry Zimmerman
    Participant

While I find the History channel very spotty, I cannot help but be perplexed by the Nimitz photos. I have seen these reported elsewhere. The seem to have actually come from the military and the persons interviewed appear to be reputable. Considered at face value, it does not appear to be a result of some redneck taking pictures with a brownie in his backyard. Contrary to most reports there are multiple witnesses, from different viewpoints, and they UFO’s were caught both visually, on infrared sensors, and on radar. Again, at face value this seems to rule out illusions.

I completely reject aliens. I do not believe that any military plane in development could possibly defy known physics like these do. Humans could not withstand the apparent accelerations. Alien or military they would need a base to return to for repair and refueling. Were is it? We have satellites imaging every inch of the ground now. and from the ground we track everything in orbit bigger than a baseball.

True believers would resort to a government cover-up, but who in government can keep a secret? I am just hoping that one of CSICOP’s contributors can provide some help in a future issue.

Advocatus
    Participant

I agree that the Nimitz incident seems totally puzzling.  I have a hard time believing that the Navy has super-advanced technology that they would be testing out there without telling their own pilots about it.  I also have a hard time believing that a Navy officer would cooperate with some civilian making a documentary about the incident (15 years later!) if he had the slightest notion that he was revealing military secrets.  What else is left?  I really don’t know.

But here is an article that Joe Nickel originally wrote in Skeptical Inquirer ‘way back in 2004 when the incident first happened, if it adds any perspective at all. https://skepticalinquirer.org/2018/05/navy_pilots_2004_ufo_a_comedy_of_errors/

Advocatus
    Participant

To me the strangest thing about the so-called Nimitz incident is the fact that the Navy apparently had no interest whatsoever in investigating it.  They didn’t even debrief the pilots on what they saw!  The incident was totally forgotten until 13 years later a documentary suddenly appears.  By the way, I unintentionally misstated the case above.  Joe Nickel didn’t write that article in 2004, because nobody heard of the incident until 2017.

That immediately raises my suspicion.  Why didn’t the Navy investigate?  Obviously it couldn’t be because the UFO’s were classified technology.  If that were the case, they would simply have briefed the pilots on what they saw, and the incident would have truly been forgotten.  They wouldn’t have stirred it up again 13 years later.  It seems to me that Joe Nickel’s conclusion is the only thing that makes sense.  The pilot must have seen some ordinary technology, like a drone or something, but in circumstances that made it seem strange to him.  He misinterpreted what he saw.  But he couldn’t accept that he had been fooled.  The old “I know what I saw” syndrome made itself felt.  Once his ego was on board, he couldn’t back down.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.