Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Walmart and more New Age Medicine.

Forums Forums Alternative Medicine Walmart and more New Age Medicine.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    @widdershins
    Participant

I hated that hot water bottle for an earache though. I insisted it made things worse.

Oh, I know what you mean!  I swear it raises the temperature in there and actually HELPS the bacteria grow!  But it’s not the worst remedy I ever heard of.  I had a much older friend who died a couple of years ago who swore the best treatment for ear infection was little girl’s pee.  No idea why it had to specifically be the urine of a little girl.  A boy could have gotten it in there much easier.  Though I suppose it could have lead to some strange fetishes later in life…

It is a sad reality that the moment abortion access is restricted medical emergencies and the death toll will start to rise for desperate women.  It is just a proven, unavoidable fact.  The fact that so many people, mostly white men, actually want this is a bit of a sad commentary on how women are viewed in this country.  What do a bunch of CongressMEN care about abortion?  They just stick it in there.  It’s the woman’s problem after that.

@mriana
    Keymaster

A little girl’s pee for an ear infection? No. That is disgusting on so many levels.

IMHO, anti-abortion laws are a means for [rich white] men to control women and their bodies. They don’t care if a woman lives or dies from having a baby, as long as they have babies. Now, here’s the thing though, if that woman is carrying their baby, they’ll gladly pay for the abortion and even demand that the woman get it OR they will pay them hush money to never tell anyone who the father is, all to save their bacon. They don’t care as long as they are in control and they oppress others.

@widdershins
    Participant

It’s definitely about control.  The man is in charge.  My sister once dated a Pentecostal man who was VERY into being in charge.  He dictated that, were they to marry (she dumped his ass, thankfully), family could not come to the house on Sundays because that would be their day.  In fact, he laid down a few rules for “how it would be”.  Thankfully I had left the church years before that so the attitude disgusted me beyond words.

@mriana
    Keymaster

It disgusts me too and I have an in-law who married into such a cult, why I don’t know, but I think she maintains some control by not telling him everything.

@widdershins
    Participant

That is the saddest thing I have heard in as long as I can remember.  I feel for her.

@mriana
    Keymaster

I do too, but she wanted to marry him. Not much you can say when they are determined to marry someone.

@widdershins
    Participant

We are often blinded to the consequences of our bad choices at the time we made them.  But the problem here isn’t the marriage, it’s her mental state and sense of self-worth.  She obviously wants some control in her own life, but feels she can only take some control passively.  I just wish there was a button I could push to make people like this suddenly realize that they are every bit as important a human being as anyone else; that she not only deserves, but is OWED control of her own life; that’s it’s not bad or selfish to want equal status in the marriage, it’s bad and selfish for him to want greater status.

@mriana
    Keymaster

I wish I could too. I wish I could say something to prevent mismatches, but truth be told, I think after living in her parents’ home for 26 or 27 years (all her life until marriage) I think she felt marrying him was the only way out and she does things, like take birth control and get her baby vaccinated without telling him. Her mother is a nurse in a doctor’s office, so that makes it a little easier, but still I don’t know what will happen when he finds out that she’s been doing these things and in his mind, “against God’s will”. Thing is, he came from a family that homeschool, didn’t vaccinate, didn’t take birth control etc etc because it’s a sin, much like that Quiverfull movement group. She didn’t grow up in this type of environment. First thing he did was took away her horror movies because it invites evil and the devil and crap like that. It’s some really crazy crap she’s gotten herself into and it’s as bad some homeopathic practices.

@mriana
    Keymaster

Now Hellmart wants to pull the atheist card and be stupid concerning CFI.

Walmart Attempts to Suppress Consumer Protection Lawsuit by Stoking Prejudice Against Secular Humanists

Walmart is attempting to quash a consumer-protection lawsuit over its sale of homeopathic fake medicine with a deceptive motion to dismiss that tries to prejudice the court against the nonreligious organization bringing the case.

The Center for Inquiry (CFI), which advocates for reason and science, is charging Walmart with committing wide-scale deceptive practices and endangering the health of its customers through its sale and marketing of homeopathic medicines. Homeopathic products are useless in the treatment of any ailment or condition.

It’s in relationship to this lawsuit that is still in the courts:

WALMART SUED FOR FRAUD: Nation’s Largest Retailer Deceives and Endangers Consumers with Homeopathic Fake Medicine

So Hellmart is selling junk and passing it as alt med that really works, when it’s not even medicine and talking smack about atheists. They can’t win so they try underhanded tricks of demonizing others.

@widdershins
    Participant

And if they get the right judge it might work.  Until the appeal, anyway.  There are many people in this country, including judges, who believe that the laws of their church should come first, even before the actual laws of the land.  Look up Lu Ann Ballew for evidence of this.

@mriana
    Keymaster

And currently many in this administration believe that too. Hopefully, CFI can win their case, because too many people die from quackery.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.