Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

What liberal TDS said this, in reaction to the Mueller Report?

Forums Forums Politics and Social Issues What liberal TDS said this, in reaction to the Mueller Report?

This topic contains 104 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lausten 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • Author

Mriana

Thatoneguy said,

Right, and you clearly aren’t.

Well, little whippersnapper, that’s the first time I’ve been called old over the internet. lol Somehow I bet you don’t know a thing about the mother of all motherboards being in another room all to herself or even experienced the internet when my older son was old enough to enjoy it in it’s heyday. But you know what? WASP still means White Anglo Saxon Protestant, regardless. We digress from the topic at hand though, but as long as you don’t bring up age again we’ll be fine. No worries though. I’m not that insulted. After all, I am a Memaw, besides a Mama now too.

Lausten
    Participant

Nobody under 50 even uses that term today.  — thatoneguy

WEIRD is my preferred term these days, but then I have to explain it. So if I’m with people I think know what WASP means, I use it. This is a forum that is mostly used by educated people who understand that there are different cultures in the world, and there are people in the world who are over 50, and if they see a word or acronym they don’t know, they can look it up, since, by default, they are using their lookup device while they are on this forum. But a lot of my assumptions that I just listed don’t apply to you oneguy.

TimB
    Participant

Oneguy said:  “Natural foreword progress of civilization” doesn’t exist. There’s nothing natural or inevitable about civilization or anything in it…

TimB replies:  Civilizations have progressed and have evolved.  Thus it is natural. It does exist. It is certainly not supernatural. Yes, it is not inevitable that this will continue, not much is inevitable.  But u r full of it when u deny what has already happened.  Clearly your narrative is designed to discourage the natural forward progress of civilization.

Your narrative is consistent with those who choose nationalism.  Reverting to hardcore nationalism brings us closer to world wars.  With enough destruction, we could revert, even further, to what you may truly desire: tribalism.

thatoneguy
    Participant

WEIRD is my preferred term these days, but then I have to explain it. So if I’m with people I think know what WASP means, I use it. This is a forum that is mostly used by educated people who understand that there are different cultures in the world, and there are people in the world who are over 50, and if they see a word or acronym they don’t know, they can look it up, since, by default, they are using their lookup device while they are on this forum. But a lot of my assumptions that I just listed don’t apply to you oneguy.

You think WEIRD and WASP are interchangeable?

That is very odd. Maybe you are not as educated as you think you are.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  thatoneguy.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  thatoneguy.

thatoneguy
    Participant

TimB replies: Civilizations have progressed and have evolved. Thus it is natural. It does exist. It is certainly not supernatural. Yes, it is not inevitable that this will continue, not much is inevitable. But u r full of it when u deny what has already happened. Clearly your narrative is designed to discourage the natural forward progress of civilization.
    Your narrative is consistent with those who choose nationalism. Reverting to hardcore nationalism brings us closer to world wars. With enough destruction, we could revert, even further, to what you may truly desire: tribalism.

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by natural forward progress of civilization. However, globalization is not helping the world at all, and it is more likely to cause worldwide conflict than nationalism.

Mriana  “After all, I am a Memaw, besides a Mama now too.”

Congratulations, brings a smile to my face.  You know, pretty soon I’m gonna be a Napa – to go with my wife’s Nana.  I know to go with it, besides it does have a nice ring to it.

Although when a little one gives you a name of their own, that’s the coolest.   ;- )     Enjoy.

The Guy: Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by natural forward progress of civilization. However, globalization is not helping the world at all, and it is more likely to cause worldwide conflict than nationalism.

Nationalism is only the icing on the cake, just say’n. Gonna take us into deeper and worser shit than that.

Though you’re right, nationalism’s going to make the future so much more vicious and ugly than it needs to be.  When times start getting tough and we should be figuring out how to better cooperate, maximizing profits and the ruthless few will still have the rest of us at each others throats.  But you know the more I think about it and learn about the full trajectory of mankind’s story (and what a fantastical, but brutal story it is), you gotta wonder if humanity and society ever could have achieves a saner society that nurturing Earth and appreciated the special plateau Earth climate had achieve..

A world where people had internalized the reality of compounding numbers and Earth’s amazing biosphere with it’s regulating climate system and the story of how it got here.  Where sustaining and recycle was built into all systems, such a tires being owned by manufacture who leases them out then is responsible for recycling.  Easiest examples, but Earth is all about the recycling chain, reducing and repurposing and all that.  No reason a thoughtful couldn’t be build around those principles – well except for avarice and it’s siblings.

For example, Reaganomics sealed my children and grand children’s future the our Faustian Deal.  So it was peddle to the metal, consume fast as possible.  There will be consequences to pay, just say’n. Every bubble bursts, and it sure sucks to be caught in that era . . .

good night,

Oh hell, lets bring this back on point.  Latest news, a Mueller leak?   It’s not good for the bully crook.

Mueller complained that Barr’s letter did not capture ‘context’ of Trump probe

By Devlin Barrett and Matt Zapotosky  |  April 30 at 8:21 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/mueller-complained-that-barrs-letter-did-not-capture-context-of-trump-probe/2019/04/30/d3c8fdb6-6b7b-11e9-a66d-a82d3f3d96d5_story.html

Days after Barr’s announcement, Mueller wrote the previously undisclosed private letter to the Justice Department, laying out his concerns in stark terms that shocked senior Justice Department officials, according to people familiar with the discussions.

[Justice Dept., House Democrats at impasse over Barr hearing]

“The summary letter the Department sent to Congress and released to the public late in the afternoon of March 24 did not fully capture the context, nature, and substance of this office’s work and conclusions,” Mueller wrote. “There is now public confusion about critical aspects of the results of our investigation. This threatens to undermine a central purpose for which the Department appointed the Special Counsel: to assure full public confidence in the outcome of the investigations.”

(Mueller’s) letter made a key request: that Barr release the 448-page report’s introductions and executive summaries, and it made initial suggested redactions for doing so, according to Justice Department officials. …

Lausten
    Participant

You think WEIRD and WASP are interchangeable?

That is very odd. Maybe you are not as educated as you think you are.

I think attempting to argue by questioning people’s education level is odd. I didn’t say the terms were interchangeable. I look for the meaning in what people say, I don’t pick out a word here or there and attack them for not using it the way I would.

Mriana

Citizenschallenge-v.3 said,

Nationalism is only the icing on the cake, just say’n. Gonna take us into deeper and worser shit than that.

For example, Reaganomics sealed my children and grand children’s future the our Faustian Deal. So it was peddle to the metal, consume fast as possible. There will be consequences to pay, just say’n. Every bubble bursts, and it sure sucks to be caught in that era . . .

Maybe not. Germany seems to have turned it around, or at least started to turn it around… after the wall and Communism fell in Germany, of course. I’m just hoping that the U.S. doesn’t go that deep into the rabbit hole.

Oh and thank you. My grandson is 2 years old now and a really cute little guy. 🙂 Congrats to you too. I guess getting older isn’t all bad, especially with rewards like that. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Mriana. Reason: To thank Citizenchallenge
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Mriana. Reason: To thank Citizenchallenge

Mriana

Lausten said,

I think attempting to argue by questioning people’s education level is odd. I didn’t say the terms were interchangeable. I look for the meaning in what people say, I don’t pick out a word here or there and attack them for not using it the way I would.

I agree. I could have been 70 (I’m not, but there have been people who were 90 on here) and said he was happy in the most archaic way, but as far as I know the definition of WASP hasn’t changed, unless one is referring to a wasp, which is a totally different creature. WASP is still used even educational settings, as well as despot, which is what we have in the Big House in Washington D.C., one of many currently.

TimB
    Participant

Yeah, Mueller sent his letter to Barr on 3/27, saying that Barr’s 4 page report to the public was misleading and might hurt public confidence in the actual report and investigation.  He asked for Barr to release the prepared summaries within the report that didn’t need redactions.  Barr kept this letter secret.  He let his misleading narrative stand, giving the pro-Trump factions plenty of time to crow their false narrative of “no collusion-no obstruction” unopposed by truth.  After a month the Mueller report was released, tho still with significant redactions, but not enuf to hide the facts reported, that “collusion” was not even considered one way or another, that the Russians massively and systematically interfered in the 2016 election with the purpose of helping the Trump Campaign.  And the Trump Campaign was open to such help.  And that there was a host of evidence suggesting 10 or 11 episodes of Obstruction of Justice by Trump.   But Barr continues to act as defense for the President rather than as Attorney General.  He continues to enable the false narratives that Trump and his cronies unceasingly spread with zeal.

TimB
    Participant

Oneguy replied: Maybe I misunderstood what you meant by natural forward progress of civilization. However, globalization is not helping the world at all, and it is more likely to cause worldwide conflict than nationalism.

We have the historical evidence of the intense and massive destruction that nationalism can lead to.  What is your evidence that globalization is more likely to be worse? Or is it just an unsubstantiated theory, like maybe “eugenics” is a theory?

What is your evidence that globalization is more likely to be worse?

I know, I know:  “The Exponential Function!”    🙂

Arithmetic, Population, and Energy: Sustainability 101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtW51D_q2Q

Michael Ahlers – Published on Jun 15, 2015

A complete, unbroken copy of Albert A. Bartlett’s (1923-2013, Professor Emeritus in Nuclear Physics at University of Colorado at Boulder) well-known and well-regarded lecture applying easily-understood arithmetic to several key sustainability matters.

It begins with a simple statement: “The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.”

He then gives a basic introduction to the arithmetic of growth, including an explanation of the concept of doubling time. He explains the impact of unending steady growth on the population of Boulder, of Colorado, and of the world. He then examines the consequences steady growth in a finite environment and observed this growth as applied to fossil fuel consumption, the lifetime of which is much shorter than the optimistic figures most often quoted.

Visit http://albartlett.org/presentations/b… to learn more about this brilliant lecture.

🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.