Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

what would I need to convince me of God?

Forums Forums Religion and Secularism what would I need to convince me of God?

This topic contains 122 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Tee Bryan Peneguy 1 day, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)
  • Author

Lausten
    Participant

The greatest libraries and museums were also at those universities. The word Knowledge was the science of the time.

Show me any of the methods or principles that we now consider science being taught anywhere. Or proof for anything else you said about Athanasius or whomever.

The church was in many ways responding to the needs of the people.

By burning down their churches?

MikeYohe
    Participant

A point I should have added.

The Christian population in the Roman Empire by 300 C.E. was only 10% of the population. And that was believe caused by Fiscus Ludaicus. An annual tax placed upon the Jewish population. By declaring themselves Christian they did not have to pay the tax.

Point being. After the government forced the atheist universality to organize the Christian religion and a plague hit the area causing massive death. The Christian religion started to grow in size. Another factor may have been the closure of all the other religions.

Lausten
    Participant

Although not a clear and well documented process, there is plenty of scholarship on how the Bible was assembled. Where in all of that do you find mention of these “atheist” “Egyptian” “universities”?

MikeYohe
    Participant

The pathway started by Mary and Jesus was picked up by Philo of Alexandria, also known as Philo Judaeus and brought into the religious philosophy for rethinking as a possible pathway to be expanded and used. Which was then picked up by Montesquieu of France, who was known for Spirit of the laws.

Ok, where did this religious philosophy take place? The University of Alexandria. And who was Montesquieu. The father of science. What were the Spirit of the Laws? It was based upon the Laws of Knowledge. A common factor for all of this is that the deity was missing.

MikeYohe
    Participant

Rome got control of Alexandria in the year 30 BC. Alexandria was only second to Rome in size and wealth. Plenty of religious scholars who believe in deities tell you how the bible was written. Today we have the religious scholars who are not believers in deities and their views are different. Imagine that!

Lausten
    Participant

You relate random facts without making any documented connections.

MikeYohe
    Participant

Lausten,

By burning down the churches.

Great post on putting the human face and a timeline on the time period we are talking about. The book data is from twenty to thirty years ago. Which means it’s forty to fifty years old. One must wonder if that same data written about today would open up more on the what’s and why’s reasons that these items took place. I think that people are beginning to crack open the door a little bit and let the light in as to what really went on. These types of books put some light on questions that needs to be answered and showed a better and more plausible actions by people of the time. But then in 2002 the James Ossuary stole the show and these books never got the attention they deserved. Kenneth Humphreys did a good job bring the highlights of the books to a web page.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 20 hours ago by  MikeYohe. Reason: spelling
    • This reply was modified 2 days, 20 hours ago by  MikeYohe. Reason: spelling

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

@mikeyohe

Where, in the name of God*, do you get your historical information?

_________

*Pardon the expression

MikeYohe
    Participant

Will be glade to. Could you please post a list of all the destroyed documents by the Church and I will show you which ones on your list will most likely have the documentation you request.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

Lausten
    Participant

I linked to the site about Theodosius because it contained much of the data I consider relevant to refuting your statements in a concise format. That “same data” has continued to be studied so it’s age is irrelevant. If you have information that it’s changed, then present that, instead of just “wondering” about it. People have been “cracking open the doors” for 100 years now, but you keep talking like it’s you who is somehow ahead of the game. To support yourself, you refer to archaeology that was refuted almost the moment it was presented; a box of bones from who knows where.

Then you lead me back to the site I sent you to, different page, same author. A page that disagrees with you. That’s some kind of weird trolling. http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/James-box.html

Could you please post a list of all the destroyed documents by the Church and I will show you which ones on your list will most likely have the documentation you request.

Is that sarcasm? I prefer using documents that actually exist.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

Will be glade to. Could you please post a list of all the destroyed documents by the Church and I will show you which ones on your list will most likely have the documentation you request.

Oh, goodness.

At first I thought @mikeyohe was making a joke. Then I realized he was being serious. (You are being serious, aren’t you, Mike.)

So… Mike: When @lausten refers to “documented connections,” he doesn’t mean “documented” as in documents, like the kinds that were destroyed.

He is asking YOU to prove your claims came from a legitimate source, like a scholar or historian, that documented this information… and not that you just made it up in your head.

For example, imagine this conversation:

LAUSTEN: Malaria is caused by the moon.

TEE: Lausten, no. Actually, malaria is caused by a parasite carried by mosquitos.

LAUSTEN: Malaria? Parasites? Mosquitos? That’s silly! I don’t believe you. Can you show me some documented evidence of a connection between mosquitos, parasites and malaria?

TEE: Sure! Here it is:

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/diseases-conditions/malaria-parasite

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/malaria/causes/

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/biology/index.html

LAUSTEN: Ah! So malaria IS caused by a parasite that’s carried by mosquitos. Thank you for clarifying!

Does that help?

MikeYohe
    Participant

Tee,

Books

Internet researches

Talking directly to professors

Have had good luck talking to Rabbis in Israel

If you would like. Could give you a list of what I consider the top couple books and experts in the field today.

Lausten
    Participant

Mike;

We know what sources are. Point being, when you offer an actual source, it’s horrible. You don’t even defend them, you just move on to the next crazy claim. I talk directly to people too, but I don’t expect you to believe everything I report. The things they say though are almost always backed with evidence that is available freely. You just have to know where and how to look for it and how to sort it out from the garbage.

Tee Bryan Peneguy
    Participant

@mikeyohe

If you provide links to bad sources, I won’t believe your claims.

If you do not provide any links at all, and just say “books, internet researches (sic), professors,” I can only assume you are making shit up.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 123 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.