Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

what’s accomplished with banning?

Forums Forums Issues & Complaints what’s accomplished with banning?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

With all due respect that is.

Policy is policy, consensus is consensus, just say’n   😉

@lausten
    Keymaster

In the end to  me banning Holmes is as failed a strategy as that sort of repeated failures to take advantage of the moments of opportunity to CONFRONT AND TEACH, if not them, then at least it would have served to  help their own side better appreciate the situation.

At what point would you say someone is not teachable? He started out selective about what he responded to, then stopped engaging completely. He even said he wasn’t answering questions because he was sure we were entrenched in our way of thinking. Then he would tell us that he read books. The two or three authors and titles he finally did link were the ones we all suspected from the beginning, months ago. Where is your evidence that this was going anywhere?

At what point do we give up, stand back and allow ignorance to have it’s way?

What did the Democrats accomplish by slamming the door on Republicans and not taking their best shot, and a then fighting back, with rationality and truth?

Regarding your final question:  Only evidence is that it was making some work harder to see through his bullshit.  To me there’s huge value in that.

If we aren’t changing minds we are losing!

Just gotta look at the shape of American politics, to see where such smug attitudes and easy dismissals is getting us.

~~~~~

π thanks for that tip:

Anyone who wants to continue playing with Sherlock or just watch him create in another train wreck, go here: http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-The-problems-inherent-in-natural-selection

Interesting reading.  I think those responses are good and he’s going to get a run for his money, but in the process others reading that will be made to think about it a bit more.  Almost got me thinking about signing up, but somehow a forum focused on religion does seem like my thing,   and I don’t even have time to keep up with this one.

@lausten
    Keymaster

At what point do we give up, stand back and allow ignorance to have it’s way?

Never give up, never surrender. The arc of history bends toward justice. Love wins.

You are being as obstinate as Sherlock. You are refusing to discuss all of the ground between our two positions. I asked how you evaluate a single person, one who was wasting our time IMHO. You answer “work harder” and rhetorically with a question about giving up on the entire enlightenment project.

My senators are Tina and Amy, a hell of a team. I don’t have much say over Adam and less over Jim Jordan. As far as what I’m doing, I’m looking to the living rooms and coffee shop conversations where politics happen.

I asked how you evaluate a single person, one who was wasting our time IMHO.

Guess, it’s never about a single person, from my perspective that is.  There’s always the onlookers with a spectrum of attitudes.

@lausten
    Keymaster

Guess, it’s never about a single person, from my perspective that is.  There’s always the onlookers with a spectrum of attitudes.

I would have banned him earlier if not for that. The banning decision is made on a case by case basis. If you are asking what is accomplished by having the ability to ban, that’s a different question than what I thought you meant. If we allow everything, then, as mentioned in the rules, we couldn’t be the forum that CFI wants. It also states there are forums for that, implying you should go there if you don’t like these rules. This is the correct use of term “safe spaces”. That got a bad reputation when college students wanted to be protected from difficult discussions in a learning environment. That’s the wrong use of it. A bar is different from my mother’s living room is different from TV is different from a closed door hearing.

I would have liked to have had a discussion with Sherlock about the premises of the scientific method, but to do that, you need a place that is safe from someone who posts 4 times an hour with the same statements about how we don’t know what we’re talking about and brings up hot button issues that need to be addressed, or, as you say, an onlooker might think we don’t have an answer for that. If someone is posting often but not engaging in the conversation it makes the threads difficult to follow. It forces a new person to scroll back for pages and pages to see that we did indeed address the questions about the Cambrian period.

Hope that answers your question.

@lausten
    Keymaster

What did the Democrats accomplish by slamming the door on Republicans and not taking their best shot, and a then fighting back, with rationality and truth?

I keep my WaPo and NYT reading to a minimum since they charge after a few hits, so I haven’t read this yet, but the title sounds intriguing. Don’t expect them testify against Trump, but who’s going to cover for them if they get impeached or otherwise indicited?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/11/22/trumps-gop-defenders-cannot-be-shamed-its-time-democrats-try-this-instead/?fbclid=IwAR3n72VrOt6jo_S4DyeFYwD6MK9BKwsjDSC5YhxFXf7SlplXV9PeUtITw6c

@believer
    Blocked

I’ve been banned all over the place. I joined an amateur astronomy forum once, and casually asked if any had seen a UFO. I was immediately banned. Then I was banned by a paranormal forum for saying that another group was using the term UAP to make themselves sound more credible, when in reality they were talking about exactly the same thing. Then I got banned from a polyamory group for advocating the historical truth about polyamory and its evolution as a social movement. I also got banned by the old James Randi forum because some forum admin just seemed to think it was the thing to do after I complained that using ridicule and other cyberbullying techniques on those who have had experiences wasn’t fair. So far I haven’t been banned here. It’s probably just a matter of time ( lol )

@lausten
    Keymaster

Lol, indeed

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.