Welcome

Thank you for visiting our new forum! To start posting again please follow the link below to create a new password. First time forum users please follow the link to register. CFI thanks you for continuing the discussion on evidence-based thinking and humanist values.

Where does our Microbiome come from?

Forums Forums Science and Technology Where does our Microbiome come from?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Citizenschallenge-v.3 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Another thread here reminded of the now common knowledge that something like 90% of the cells in our body are actually ‘foreign’ microbes, germs of one variety or other, that are not part of our body.

Way back my first reaction to the news was how would they fit, but upon reflection I realized they were so much smaller than cells that it’s not an issue.

Then I shut up and accepted the notion and tried learning what it was about.

It didn’t occur to me until this morning to ask, where did they come from originally.

Now, I’ve just spent a fwhile searching the web and skimming information and don’t seem to find the question of origins addressed anywhere.  How much of that happens before birth?  How many pathways into the body do germs have?

Maybe someone here knows a little about it – please share.

Write4U
    Participant

@ Citizenschallenge-v.3

Microbiome

Some use “microbiome” to mean all the microbes in a community. We and others use it to mean the full collection of genes of all the microbes in a community. The human microbiome (all of our microbes’ genes) can be considered a counterpart to the human genome (all of our genes). The genes in our microbiome outnumber the genes in our genome by about 100 to 1.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/microbiome/

Oh, you have opened an area of human existence which I just discovered also.  I ran across Bonnie Bassler by accident and discovered a whole new world existing underneath our own reality. Do watch the clip.

Without bacteria humans and most likely all other energy consuming organisms could not exist. This is the perfection of bio-chemical symbiosis where two species cooperate to mutual benefit.

It just gets more amazing the more one learns about bacterial communication or “quorum sensing” the earliest language used for information sharing in living things.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Write4U.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Write4U.

TimB
    Participant

I agree that there are some quite interesting possibilities in exploring this subject.  I hope to look into it, at some point, enough to have some meaningful input, and get back to this thread, subsequently.  Hopefully I will get around to it.

Good videos, thanks W4U.

Here’s a fun read about how your microbiome changes over time – and how it accumulates.

Your Changing Microbiome
    Before birth, we’re all more or less sterile—we have no microbes. Within a few years, we’re covered in thousands of different species of microbes, and they colonize every millimeter of the body that’s exposed to the outside world. By the time we enter kindergarten, we have vastly different populations living in the different habitats around our bodies. Even as adults and into old age, our microbiota continue to shift.

https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/microbiome/changing/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.